Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2022 7:27:35 AM EDT
I don’t follow the form 1 stuff too closely.  I know they were doing mass rejections a few months ago… are they still rejecting Form 1 silencer applications and/or requiring anything outside of the typical Form 4/1 paperwork you do for an SBR/SBS/MG/can?

I’ve never done a Form 1 for a silencer so I’m not sure yet what’s up with the process.  But I’ve done a couple of SBRs and an SBS Form 1 and in those instances they requested I send pics of the intended host firearm receiver/markings (I did and got prompt approval).  Obviously, for a silencer, that kind of thing isn’t an option… you build it from scratch.

Also, I’m really more of a “I want the paper/stamp” kind of guy instead of eFile… I don’t care about a longer wait.  Other than the typically longer wait, is there a downside to filing a paper Form 1 rather than eFile?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You can absolutely efile for a form1 silencer and expect it to get approved.
You can print your approved form and have a paper copy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can absolutely efile for a form1 silencer and expect it to get approved.
You can print your approved form and have a paper copy.
View Quote

Cool. Didn’t know if they were still mass rejecting. Someone said it has something to do with solvent traps and they were getting all sorts questions and disapprovals from the ATF.

I want the actual “stamped” paper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They don't put paper stamps on them any longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want the actual “stamped” paper.
They don't put paper stamps on them any longer.

What?!? When did this happen?

I did an eFile when it very first started, printed out he lame ass stamp and then did my next two Form 1 on paper and got stamps. Took longer but I like the stamp.  This was a while ago though.

That sucks.  Are they still issuing stamps on form 4 or printing those now too?  I haven’t done a form 4 since the Turbo K was released (mid/late 2019?).
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Paper F4 gets paper approval with paper stamp. Efile F4 is all electronic like Efile F1
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Paper F4 gets paper approval with paper stamp. Efile F4 is all electronic like Efile F1
View Quote

But you’re saying paper form 1 is getting return with a printed stamp? Or a paper/adhesive stamp?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But you’re saying paper form 1 is getting return with a printed stamp? Or a paper/adhesive stamp?
View Quote

Can’t answer that, never done a paper F1, only electronic. I may have read your question wrong. I was stating that efile F4 approval will be same as an efile F1.  No paper approval letter sent to transferring dealer and no physical stamp.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool. Didn’t know if they were still mass rejecting. Someone said it has something to do with solvent traps and they were getting all sorts questions and disapprovals from the ATF.
View Quote

Mine was just approved.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mine was just approved.
View Quote

Interesting, so you build your form one on a solvent trap?  If so, did the ATF know that it was built on a solvent trap or ask anything about how you built it?

Because everything I’m reading on the ATF has been kind of all over the place recently; like them showing up at peoples houses and seizing solvent traps and triggers we’re having people signed affidavits they don’t on them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
FATF will ask how / what you are going to use to build it.

If you say solvent trap no chance it will be approved.

If you say raw materials not yet purchased, make a crude drawing of a suppressor. Good chance it will be approved.
If you have a lathe, send a picture of that to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FATF will ask how / what you are going to use to build it.

If you say solvent trap no chance it will be approved.

If you say raw materials not yet purchased, make a crude drawing of a suppressor. Good chance it will be approved.
If you have a lathe, send a picture of that to.
View Quote

I sent a napkin/sharpie sketch of a 7" can.  "Materials not yet purchased".  What I ended up using is my own business.  "All NFA LAWS apply".
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But you're saying paper form 1 is getting return with a printed stamp? Or a paper/adhesive stamp?
View Quote
Physical paper form submissions will return with an actual physical stamp adhered to the form you sent in.

eForm submissions are returned as a PDF file only, with a watermark image of the stamp embedded in the file.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I sent a napkin/sharpie sketch of a 7" can.  "Materials not yet purchased".  What I ended up using is my own business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I sent a napkin/sharpie sketch of a 7" can.  "Materials not yet purchased".  What I ended up using is my own business.

If you say raw materials not yet purchased, make a crude drawing of a suppressor. Good chance it will be approved. If you have a lathe, send a picture of that to.

You don't need to do any of this. One of my trust mates just got an efile, from1 silencer approved and all they put was "silencer will be made w/in all current US laws" (maybe, not exact, but along those lines). Approved in 31 days.

"All NFA LAWS apply".

Something like this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You don't need to do any of this. One of my trust mates just got an efile, from1 silencer approved and all they put was "silencer will be made w/in all current US laws" (maybe, not exact, but along those lines). Approved in 31 days.

Something like this.
View Quote

I think it can vary depending on who is the examiner.  Typical ATF, no clear rule.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
So are you still able to purchase solvent traps or have they all disappeared?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Not today mr atf
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So are you still able to purchase solvent traps or have they all disappeared?
View Quote

I think places making anything worth buying shut down after Diversified machine got seized by FATF.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think places making anything worth buying shut down after Diversified machine got seized by FATF.
View Quote

Well that sucks
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Tubes, cups, mount, end caps, and spacer material are still to be had.

I don't think anyone legit is offering full kits.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Solvent Traps Direct looks to still be up and running. Not sure how they can still sell parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top