Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2022 1:36:03 PM EDT
Just saw that Spiritus is coming out with a new split chest rig in two days. Micro chest rigs were all the rage just 6 months ago and now it looks like the current direction is towards more load bearing rigs.

Just thought the trend was interesting as the "minimalist" movement seems to have cooled down quite a bit. Or maybe this is a new minimalist+ trend that is starting?

I think at this point I'll just keep whatever it is I have and in a year or two it'll be back in vogue

Anyways, curious if yall have any thoughts on minimalist vs load bearing chest rigs and the direction it seems to be moving in.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of each. A "Minimalist" and "Heavy" setup........
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Lighter is always (except in very specific circumstances which do not apply to most people) better, so if minimalist = lighter, then minimalist is better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Pendulum always swings as people Always try something different and makers Need to find new market niches. Better for the final customer that has a lot of good choices and quality due to market competition.

That said i am not a fan of the micro rigs expanded with multiple bits to full load bearing rigs.
I also carried a full military load in chest rigs only when It was the less uncomfortable alternative (mounted), not something i would do on purpose.
But i am old and outdated and today i can fulfill my needs with more basic items.

I also wished that personal choices in Gear wouldn't be influenced by soldiers fighting wars in very different environments with very different requirements from the average Citizen. Integrating concepts Is good, straight copying Is not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
LBE
Plate carriers
War belts
full size chest rigs
Minimalist PC load outs
Minimalist chest rigs
PLCE/jungle belt rigs

Lather, rinse, repeat
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I really thought Spiritus would come up with something more inventive than just another split front with buckles.  Like recessed/offset g-hooks or something to reduce the gap and lost real estate in the center.  It just looks nearly identical to every other split front chest rig on the market.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, circumstances dictate the gear…
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Uncle Sugar has blessed me with many options for chest rigs (and placards that can be run as chest rigs), but I generally stick to the Velocity UW series.  Micro rigs have their place, but a heavy rig is good to have too.

Not huge into split rigs, but I may give this a shot if the base setup isn’t too expensive.  I don’t need the harness since I already have too many of those, and I have a lot of spare pouches that aren’t being used for anything.  I like the Velcro and backside elastic.  Maybe those features will finally sell me on a split rig.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Split rigs are nice when it's 110 out. Sure, lighter is better, up to the point that you're no longer mission-capable because you left important stuff home in order to reduce weight.

I'm enjoying the pivot towards heavier LBE. I find that it's far more practical for sustained use; micro rigs are mostly for training on a square range.

I went from a heavy PC to a light PC to a minimalist rig to a split front. I gave the heavy PC away to a friend but kept everything else in the rotation. Now I pick the equipment best suited to the job. Nowadays the job is area/route recon and presence patrols.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tis the truth
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Having recently gotten into Long Range, I actually started looking at 'Split Front' rigs about a week ago - how timely. But I never looked at Spiritus anything - what's with the piecemeal approach? What's a rig for a 6mm ARC loadout going to cost, LOL. I can get a new LBX split front for under $100 (I'm a dealer, and a distributor carries them) - yeah, it isn't as LASER Cut cool, but... What other companies make Split Front's...preferably not for $250+
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Tactical Tailor still has their 2-piece MAV and X-harness.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tactical Tailor still has their 2-piece MAV and X-harness.
View Quote

I don't think any of their stuff is actually "in stock". You place an order, they make it, and several weeks later you get it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
METT-TC . Apply it as needed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LBE
Plate carriers
War belts
full size chest rigs
Minimalist PC load outs
Minimalist chest rigs
PLCE/jungle belt rigs

Lather, rinse, repeat
View Quote
collect them all. also need at least 3 camo patterns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why I like the micro fight...I have it mounted on my PC, but if I need a light/minimalist setup, I take it off, put shoulder and back straps on, boom I have ammo and ifak in a light setup. Don't need another rig. To each their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top