Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2019 12:08:35 AM EDT
I'm really wanting a 308 rifle in the 6.5 pound range with a 20" threaded 1:10 barrel, internal magazine and preferably a true Mauser type action. If I could get open sights too that would be nice. Basically want a light weight hunting rifle but also something I can do basic target shooting with (for fun not high precision).

The closest rifle I've found is the Winchester extreme weather but the barrel is little long and not threaded and a 1:12 twist. The Win coyote light is threaded but a pound too heavy and the barrel is a bit long and also 1:12 twist (what's with this twist rate on the Win 308s?). The Ruger Hawkeye Hunter is also pretty close and a bit cheaper but I'd prefer a synthetic stock or maybe laminate but at least twist seems right.

What's a better approach?

Buy the Winchester extreme weather and rebarrel it?
Buy the Ruger and get a new stock?
Build something? (would need to buy a barreled action or have it built as I can't do this)
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Montana Rifle extreme X3 , cut and thread barrel.
https://montanarifleco.com/rifles/x3/
I am sure they would sell it to you already cut and threaded at 20” as they are a custom shop.
This would probably end up a better rifle for the dollar  than a rebarrel M70 Extreme , though that is also an excellent rifle. Just this would be less work.

These guys make an excellent pre 64 M70.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have bought several rifles over the years and sent them off to get rebarreled or rechambered.  Check out the Model 7.

All things considered, I’m a big fan of the Winchester safety and the Remington action.  If you want a LW, look at the Ruger number 1. I am not a fan of the Ruger bolt guns even though I have several.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why, but I'm not really drawn to Remington rifles. That Model 7 looks okay though, but I suspect the stock would need to be replaced and not a CRF bolt. I've thought about the Montana rifles a few times. Maybe I need to take a closer look. Never seen one in person.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe consider this
Howa
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems to me a Kimber Montana or Barrett Fieldcraft would fit your bill perfectly. Fieldcraft is a Sako style extractor, but works great. Only thing I see is they do it a bit lighter than what you are specifying, and do not offer open sights.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Never gave much thought to Kimber but that might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been looking for something similar.   I agree the extreme is a good base rifle.  That said, one of the FN SPRs is close.  I’ve also considered the weatherby hbar.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Think I read 3-4 days ago that Montana Rifle Co is going out of business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Mauser fanboy, so I'd recommend you build one, or restore an existing sporter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ or maybe Zastava.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Sako Black Bear

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Shaw lets you pick your options and build your rifle. Their lightweight hunter sounds similar to what you want.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Just curious how many times you had issues with all those 700's without CFR OP? I have always owned 700's, have never had an issue with lack of CFR, but had a friend who did...100% his actions as in physical manipulations that caused it..had he properly operated the bolt handle, he would not have had an issue...Seems like a problem looking for an excuse to cost money....
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why, but I'm not really drawn to Remington rifles. That Model 7 looks okay though, but I suspect the stock would need to be replaced and not a CRF bolt. I've thought about the Montana rifles a few times. Maybe I need to take a closer look. Never seen one in person.
View Quote

Controlled feed is greatly over rated.  I have more than a few bolt guns, some with controlled feed (pre ‘64 Win 70) others without.  It makes no difference, honestly.  If you halfway know what you are doing you can cycle a Rem 700 upside down with complete reliability.

An often overlooked advantage of push feed actions is the ability to single feed and hand chamber match ammunition or ammunition loaded close to the barrel lands and too long to cycle through the magazine.

I have come to favor Rem 700 or 700 compatible actions on bolt guns because they have by far the largest aftermarket (by orders of magnitude) for parts, upgrades, barrels, stocks and accessories.  That is for good reason.  Most come with good accuracy out of the box, every gunsmith on the planet knows how to blueprint and accurize them for reasonable cost, and most high-end third party actions are made to be compatible with Rem 700 parts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
What’s your budget?

If it’s substantial then go have so done build you a rifle to your exact specs.

If your budget is restricted, you will probably need to prioritize your wants and then be prepared to make some concessions.

If you could live without CRF it would open up more options to get most of what you want at a more budget friendly price.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger scout with synthetic stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top