Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2021 8:02:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If potato head in charge starts sniffing at idea of making all NFA non transferable,  you'll see ppl dump out, it'll flood market and prices should drop.

I think this was part of logic in 2008 etc. Ppl assumed obummer would go after guns hard and they don't want to be stuck with high dollar item they can't transfer
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Every economic collapse/dip also sees the collapse of used pricing for luxury goods; no matter what people will think or say.  It's just a fact.  And machineguns are a luxury good that few can afford.  When people have less money the demand goes down.  Those same people also try to sell their items when they are in distress.  Supply goes up.  Both of these put pressure on prices in a downward matter.  Its just simple economics.

This happened with nearly every luxury goods back in the late 2000s during the downturn.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/  has price history starting October 2003.
Another factor is the bigger guns like M2HB dropped in price because surplus .50BMG ammo dried up.

There is a big dip in prices across most models around the time of the great recession, most prices recovered in a few years.  There was a dip in the past few years as well with another recovery.  I didn't look at every model so this summary is only for a sample I'm familiar with.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I assumed it was more economics than politics.

There was dip in all luxury goods back in 08 and 09.

This last recession was a little different. It didn’t hit the middle and wealthy as hard as the last recession and they are the ones who buy things like $20,000 firearms. We also saw WAY more stimulus after 2020 than we did 2008. That inflation is showing up in everything from luxury goods to basic consumer goods.

I don’t think we will see a dip anytime soon. People who own MGs are not struggling financially and they will hold onto assets as an inflation hedge.

The next great dip will be in about 10-15 year with the next recession and/or when baby boomers start to die off and their families sell of their collections.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll probably jump on a couple more uzis and registered hk sear.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a sub $9k Sendra in 2010. I used the cash to buy a house.

Finally got my M16 last year and it cost about twice as much.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a sub $9k Sendra in 2010. I used the cash to buy a house.

Finally got my M16 last year and it cost about twice as much.
View Quote

Yeah but what has your house value done since 2010?
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I assumed it was more economics than politics....The next great dip will be in about 10-15 year with the next recession and/or when baby boomers start to die off and their families sell of their collections.
View Quote

If you look at actuarial tables, you'll see that early baby boomers currently are at around 25% annual mortality rate; i.e., they're already dying off.   And the ones that are alive are getting sick and have to fund non-covered medical expenses by selling off houses, muscle cars, machine guns, and luxury goods.  They're holding on to stocks to hedge inflation as best they can.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost tripled.

I kinda hope for a MG price drop. Then I might be able to get another!

I'm curious to see how it all plays out. I know if prices go down the MG guys local to me will be buying them all up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Last few months seems like everyone is asking way more than the last 2-3 year avg.

Just what I’ve noticed on a few listings, stens, macs & reisings.

Guess inflation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup. Our business crashed and I had to get rid of some really nice weapons at least than great prices.

It fed our family for many months.

Weapons for me are mainly available unattached dollars that I get to play with. If I need the dollars, I sell. For me weapons are liquid assets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm prepared for the well-deserved abuse that will be heaped upon me for not knowing but........

Aside from our hallowed EE, what are the best places to look for toys with happy switches?
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
About 5x in value. It was super cheap when I bought it. Most housing around me has doubled in that time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm prepared for the well-deserved abuse that will be heaped upon me for not knowing but........

Aside from our hallowed EE, what are the best places to look for toys with happy switches?
View Quote
I started a post asking where all to look. Had a member offer me the M16 he was going to sell but hadn't posted up anywhere yet. Worked out as I was ready to buy.

Sent a check for 50% up front and sent the next 50% when the F3 cleared and the M16 hit my local dealer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m sad I never got the M60E6 I craved. People are asking $80-90k for one now!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m sad I never got the M60E6 I craved. People are asking $80-90k for one now!!
View Quote

I bought my M60E4 during the dip in machinegun pricing (2009) for $29,500.   Its tough to find an M16 for that price nowadays.

I am also surprised what M60s are selling for now a days.  It seemed like they were just stagnant in price for years and then all of a sudden...they seemed to jump from the upper $40s to low $50Kish to seemingly double that in a year or two timeframe.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bought my M60E4 during the dip in machinegun pricing (2009) for $29,500.   Its tough to find an M16 for that price nowadays.

I am also surprised what M60s are selling for now a days.  It seemed like they were just stagnant in price for years and then all of a sudden...they seemed to jump from the upper $40s to low $50Kish to seemingly double that in a year or two timeframe.
View Quote

Yeah they doubled in value in like a year. Was on my bucket list at $40k but don’t think I can swing $60-80k. Glad I bought the MG i did when I did.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#19]
MG's did bottom out for a while.  Lots of folks were scratching to get by and MG's were/are looked at by many as an investment.

I got my MG in the very early part of '09, however, it was from an estate sale.  Widow only wanted enough $ to buy a tombstone.  Only daughter didn't want it.  Widow knew she could've got more out of it through an auction house or on consignment but didn't want to deal with the hassle.

I was in the right place at the right time and got my MG for $1700 and we both walked away happy.  It was an M10.  Going price for them at that time hovered between $2800-$3200 give or take.  Last I looked, they were in the 8.5k territory.

But I didn't buy mine for an investment.  I wanted one for years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top