Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2020 7:16:35 PM EDT
I recently got really interested in the blackest paints in the world, Vantablack and Black 3.0.  It looks like this:

Attachment Attached File

I started wondering if it was possible to actually do an AR with it. Black 3.0 is a non-waterproof acrylic, but only ~$20 a tube. So I’m thinking... if you prepped the exterior surfaces, brushed on the superblack, then had it clear cerakoted... would it work?

Can someone educate me in paintology? How do you create the blackest of all black rifles?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Again?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Again?
View Quote
GD don’t count

And in all seriousness I’m evaluating the possibility of doing this IRL.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a NIR-to-UV photospectrometer at work and various calibration targets. The black reference target for calibrating “black” is a small cylinder/puck shape that you put into the integrating sphere. It’s so black, that when it’s clean your eyes can’t focus on it. Its kind of like trying to look at a true UVA/BLB blacklight bulb - your eyes just can’t do it. Even if you shine a bright light at it. It’s weird. Whatever it’s sitting on looks like there’s a perfectly cut hole in it. You can really only see it’s shape once it gets dirt/dust on it.

I think it’s called Spectralon SRS-02... has like 2% broadband reflectance from near IR through UV. If it was any darker, you’d be able to feed it for $0.99/day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

GD don’t count

And in all seriousness I’m evaluating the possibility of doing this IRL.
View Quote
Clear coating it would degrade its performance. “Clear” is never clear. It will absorb something and probably reflectance will be a bigger performance impact.

Firstly, you want a matte diffuse black surface. Then you’d want the clear coat as thin and optically clear as possible. It’s a cool project idea. I’d love an entire outfit made of something ultra dark like that.

Edit: I visited the black 3.0 website and this is posted:

Q. Can I paint my car / bike etc…
A. NO - 3.0 is quite fragile and will just scratch off, it won’t weather well.
Q. Can I put a topcoat over it then?
A. NO that will destroy the matte effect, and many topcoats (including our COAT) will react with the paint and ruin the finish.
Q. I got some weird white marks form on my work, why?
A. You didn't let it dry fully between coats or you painted it on an absorbent surface without sealing it first.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Clear coating it would degrade its performance. “Clear” is never clear. It will absorb something and probably reflectance will be a bigger performance impact.

Firstly, you want a matte diffuse black surface. Then you’d want the clear coat as thin and optically clear as possible. It’s a cool project idea. I’d love an entire outfit made of something ultra dark like that.

Edit: I visited the black 3.0 website and this is posted:

Q. Can I paint my car / bike etc…
A. NO - 3.0 is quite fragile and will just scratch off, it won’t weather well.
Q. Can I put a topcoat over it then?
A. NO that will destroy the matte effect, and many topcoats (including our COAT) will react with the paint and ruin the finish.
Q. I got some weird white marks form on my work, why?
A. You didn't let it dry fully between coats or you painted it on an absorbent surface without sealing it first.
View Quote
Yeah the paint is designed for actual artwork, so it seems to be pretty fragile. The website sells this clear varnish for their paints, but even that wouldn’t stand up to firearm use.

Obviously, keeping the 99% light absorption is unrealistic, but even keeping 90% of it will make the rifle darker than any other rifle out there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it’s called Spectralon SRS-02... has like 2% broadband reflectance from near IR through UV. If it was any darker, you’d be able to feed it for $0.99/day.
View Quote
This is why I came here. LMAO
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
A very black substance that might hold up to coating a firearm, and wear fairly well would be to platinum plate, etch and oxidize.  Platinum oxide is that really dark stuff on certain black and white photograph prints. It is much darker than the silver oxide of most prints.

The downside, is the expense of the platinum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top