Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scottfn308:

I got it from Onyx Arms, and it is their version of Marpat I am assuming.  Or at least digital woodland.  
I think the cost was $169.00 plus shipping.  Cheapest I could find them.  

I added the pistol mag pouches, although I may take one pair of them off.  I also added the
HSGI upright pouch for a set of binoculars / rangefinder, and the admin pouch on the other side
for a small medical / trauma kit.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22729/chest_rig1_jpg-2373501.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22729/chest_rig2_jpg-2373502.JPG
View Quote

Very sweet. I like your setup.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A little more gray added for GLD1980.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Two Questions -

1. Anyone else every had an issue with seating rounds?  Especially after mag loads, my bolt is going into battery... just not grabbing the next round.

2. If anyone is interested in an Ambi Phase 5 CH please msg me.  Or I guess I will just through it up on Equip Exchange tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

@djp003
Welcome to the 716I group. I'm sure someone will PM you about your Phase 5. Post a pic to create more visibility. So I've never seen the MBA by Luth-AR so when I went to the website there are many, which one do you have? Post some pics of your 716I. In regards to the JP, the silent spring won't work but users have tried different buffer weights and spring types but why do you want to change out? What is your intended use for your 716I? Is it not currently smooth enough for your intended use or did you just want to try other options? Take care and welcome to the forum.
View Quote

Sorry, I missed this. Got the Luth-Ar AR Mba3 Stock Assembly BLK

Personally I like it. Have to wrap up the 716 to ship it to sig tomorrow. I snag a pic to send to you
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
A little more gray added for GLD1980.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98037/3C64A038-15C5-4C48-9417-9C65B08FDEF0_jpe-2388368.JPG
View Quote

@Tangotag
I like how your 716I looks with gray. You motivated me to try a little bit of the gray too, and I will eventually add more. First I must find the right gray for my 716I. I prefer the lighter gray of my Warne scope mount...
Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By djp003:
Two Questions -

1. Anyone else every had an issue with seating rounds?  Especially after mag loads, my bolt is going into battery... just not grabbing the next round.

2. If anyone is interested in an Ambi Phase 5 CH please msg me.  Or I guess I will just through it up on Equip Exchange tomorrow.
View Quote

1. Never heard of any issues of the sort but keep us posted.

2. Post pics... Someone will snag!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djp003] [#6]

@Tangotag
I like how your 716I looks with gray. You motivated me to try a little bit of the gray too, and I will eventually add more. First I must find the right gray for my 716I. I prefer the lighter gray of my Warne scope mount...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20220527_175228_jpg-2399472.JPG

1. Never heard of any issues of the sort but keep us posted.

2. Post pics... Someone will snag!
View Quote

1. Called Sig.. I thought maybe I should try a different mag.. maybe something with metal feeder lips... but since its happening on 5 different mags (varying magpul sizes) they said its probably not that. Got the return label - just need to ship it in. Will update

2. I had both CH (sig ambi and phase5); would have left phase5 on if it wasnt for the thicker handle now rubbing into the raised checkweld on my Luther MBA.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The Phase 5 "thickness" looks like a LMT MWS / MARS-H charging handle.  They also have a very "tall" sectional profile through the handle section.

I have Sig ambi CH's for my 716i's.  They're much "shorter".

My favorite ambi 762 AR CH is a Radian, but they don't fit the 716i.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]

1. Called Sig.. I thought maybe I should try a different mag.. maybe something with metal feeder lips... but since its happening on 5 different mags (varying magpul sizes) they said its probably not that. Got the return label - just need to ship it in. Will update

View Quote

@djp003

What is your serial number range?  Don't need the exact number, but am curious to see if is an older or newer production gun.  I have owned: 4xxx, 5xxx, (2x) 7xxx, 11xxx range 716i's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
With all the talk of another AWB, anyone have LaRue mags for their Sig 716i?  Yes, I have a pile of 7.62 PMags.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-20-round-7-62-magazines/
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

@djp003

What is your serial number range?  Don't need the exact number, but am curious to see if is an older or newer production gun.  I have owned: 4xxx, 5xxx, (2x) 7xxx, 11xxx range 716i's.
View Quote

22M002XXX
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By C-4:

With all the talk of another AWB, anyone have LaRue mags for their Sig 716i?  Yes, I have a pile of 7.62 PMags.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-20-round-7-62-magazines/
View Quote

Agree! Trying to stock up asap :-)

Can anyone report their experience with other mags? Would love to get something poly/steel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]

22M002XXX
View Quote

That's a very early gun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]

@GaryT1776
My 716I serial is a 22M002***. My 716I definitely appears to be a Nitrided Barrel with a Chrome Lined bore. Infact my 716G2 Patrol, 556RG2, and my M400 Switchblade all share the same type of barrel, a Nitrided exterior with a Chrome Lined bore. The Chambers may vary but I will check manana.

Great shooting and great pics. That is a sweet range! Out of curiosity, why did you get so many sell one and buy another? Did you not like it at first?

Also, you are very well acquainted with the 716I platform, what more can you share or point out for the new owner or those of us more familiar with the 716I?

Finally, I hope you don't mind helping me and the other owners out when some of the newer owners or perspective buyers ask questions we can't answer. We are building a strong collective here. I am thinking about asking a MOD to sticky this thread because of all the quality information several owners have shared.

Thanks for your time.

Dan
View Quote
A nitrided barrel cannot be chromelined.  It's one or the other. If a barrel is chromelined then it's a phosphate barrel. Look closer.  It's one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Love the AR10. Not a fan of the piston guns though. Pretty much all pistons break at some point. DI all the way for me. Like the double ejectors for the AR10 bolt.
View Quote
Which cheap ass pistons are you rolling?  I have 3 516's, LMT piston and I roll them all full auto too.  Never an issue.  I have a 716 G2 and it shoots great. If you are going to throw something out there like that then let's get some details
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#15]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
A nitrided barrel cannot be chromelined.  It's one or the other. If a barrel is chromelined then it's a phosphate barrel. Look closer.  It's one or the other.
View Quote

Honestly I am stumped with all my SIG's and it's difficult to get a straight answer from SIG. I am no longer strung up on it though because all my SIG barrels look good and shoot very accurate.

I am also learning SIG specs differently for various contracts and it seems we can get overrun items from time to time. So unless you built it or really know what your looking at good luck.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]

That's a very early gun.
View Quote

I got it off GB … last couple years a blur. I got it in Dec 20 / Jan 21 ….. or maybe the year before that. No I think it was Christmas 2020

It’s my first and only AR10 308. I love it
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
View Quote

They were either full nitride carbon steel, or stainless steel with an exterior DLC coating.

I’d rather have the nitride carbon steel but mine is the stainless/DLC variant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of glass do you guys recommend putting on one of these now a days?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PineRidge:
View Quote

The best you can afford is always the answer with optics, but as far as specs, that really depends on what you intend to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I currently use mine with 2 different optics both zeroed to the rifle.  

I use an ACOG TA01 and a Vortex Strike Eagle, both in LaRue mounts.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
Just bought mine off the EE!!

Excited to try it out. You guys 100% influenced my decision.

View Quote

I think I saw that one. Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I have a Nikon M-TACTICAL 3-12x42SF with the MK1-MRAD reticle below.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's a decent Philippine made scope. The gun may have longer legs than the glass, it remains to be seen. I like a good LVPO or mid range mag scope for this gun. Good luck!

Just bought mine off the EE!!

Excited to try it out. You guys 100% influenced my decision.

View Quote

Congratulations and welcome to the club. You will not be disappointed!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]

New 716I video. Good video. Only thing I would add is to clarify the only difference in the Snakebite and the Tread is the Receiver & Stock Color and Stock type.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jon00jon] [#25]
Now to play dress up with my new rifle. Took advantage of some holiday sales.  Had it for about a week, been waiting for them to come back in stock locally(ish) for a little while.  Been buying some stuff in anticipation, I.e. sights, ammo, grip, etc. Put some rounds through it yesterday and I’m really liking it.  Next on the list is some glass.

Attachment Attached File

eta: $1399+tax, Aug 2021 build date.  Bought at Triangle shooting Academy in Raleigh, said they just got the shipment in of 10, not sure why the build date is from 2021.  They are a Sig dealer with the whole display set-up. Strange.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jon00jon:
Now to play dress up with my new rifle. Took advantage of some holiday sales.  Had it for about a week, been waiting for them to come back in stock locally(ish) for a little while.  Been buying some stuff in anticipation, I.e. sights, ammo, grip, etc. Put some rounds through it yesterday and I’m really liking it.  Next on the list is some glass.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259337/DDFA5A37-A0E7-4467-8EC2-25DDC62560F7_jpe-2442668.JPG
View Quote

Looking forward to seeing the final project.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Looking forward to seeing the final project.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll post as it progresses, glass may be a little bit since I'm getting pretty deep ($) in this thing now.  Still waiting on a few odds and ends to be delivered.  the tigger does suck so I'm going to try the JP springs, if that doesn't work, a trigger will bet added to the list.  Along with a light...list gets longer....
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks, I'll post as it progresses, glass may be a little bit since I'm getting pretty deep ($) in this thing now.  Still waiting on a few odds and ends to be delivered.  the tigger does suck so I'm going to try the JP springs, if that doesn't work, a trigger will bet added to the list.  Along with a light...list gets longer....
View Quote

That damn trigger gets me everytime. I went with the JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability spring kit and contemplate changing it out all the time but I talk myself out of that $200 Giessele trigger everytime. Mine just feels good enough for me... It just needs heavy use now lol!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#29]
I was about to pull trigger on this bad  boy the other day because the price was right but talked myself out of it.
It's Single Stage SIG.
https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-single-stage-dual-bow-trigger-upgrade-kit.html
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#30]
yeah, once you go with G HS-NM, there's no turning back.  too bad, they were on sale for 4th of July for $209, I think (reg $280).  with Bidenflation, prices are only going to go up, up, up.  and with the looming recession, availability is going to go, you guessed it, down, down, down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jon00jon] [#31]
Im thinking the G SSA-E.  No experience with G triggers, so if I purchased it would be based solely on positive reviews I've read.  However I have several of the Schmid machine 2 stage triggers from different retailers and my experience has been positive, especially after a good break-in.  Great value too.  I'm 50/50 with the MBT, first was amazing second was meh.  I really want to give G a go and see what the hype is about. But first I'm going to try the JP springs with red hammer spring to "enhance" the factory trigger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Im thinking the G SSA-E.  No experience with G triggers, so if I purchased it would be based solely on positive reviews I've read.  However I have several of the Schmid machine 2 stage triggers from different retailers and my experience has been positive, especially after a good break-in.  Great value too.  I'm 50/50 with the MBT, first was amazing second was meh.  I really want to give G a go and see what the hype is about. But first I'm going to try the JP springs with red hammer spring to "enhance" the factory trigger.
View Quote

usually, entry-level G trigger, gateway drug, is the G2S-E from Brownells, similar to the SSA-E, but can't use the KNS pins.  then it's the SSA-E (with KNS Gen G Mod 2).

I'm gradually replacing my precision lowers SSA-E with HS-NM, one at a time, maybe 1 or 2 a year.  always when it's on sale, so that means either 4th of July, or TG.

if you're considering the SSA-E, you could try the G2S-E, smaller investment, unless you use KNS pins on your build.  I think it's a Brownell's exclusive.  The G2S is the cheaper alternative to the SSA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I was about to pull trigger on this bad  boy the other day because the price was right but talked myself out of it.
It's Single Stage SIG.
https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-single-stage-dual-bow-trigger-upgrade-kit.html
View Quote

That looks like one of the Hiperfire single stage triggers.  I have a few of them, they're not bad but I got 'em on sale a few years ago.

https://www.hiperfire.com/triggers/enhanced-duty-trigger-family/
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259337/DDFA5A37-A0E7-4467-8EC2-25DDC62560F7_jpe-2442668.JPG

eta: $1399+tax, Aug 2021 build date.  Bought at Triangle shooting Academy in Raleigh, said they just got the shipment in of 10, not sure why the build date is from 2021.  They are a Sig dealer with the whole display set-up. Strange.
View Quote

Where did you score the handguard?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:13:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#35]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Where did you score the handguard?
View Quote

Wow I just saw that. Neat can't wait to hear the story.

@jon00jon
Care to tell bro? If not I get it. Take it easy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]

@jon00jon
View Quote

Nothing clandestine, found it on Osage website. Occasionally they have contract overrun parts, and I usually miss the boat, not this time!    While the description is not very descriptive, the mlok matches the commercial rail, and the word "Contract" made the pieces fall together, it looks amazing.  I'll try and post some pictures later.  Only one (1) left on their website sku# 1801184-01-BULK
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#38]
Osage, they also had the P320 non-LCI FS barrels, I picked up a few of them from OCG.  They do seem to have the harder-to-find SIG stuff buried in their inventory.  but their webpage is slow AF.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Nothing clandestine, found it on Osage website. Occasionally they have contract overrun parts, and I usually miss the boat, not this time!    While the description is not very descriptive, the mlok matches the commercial rail, and the word "Contract" made the pieces fall together, it looks amazing.  I'll try and post some pictures later.  Only one (1) left on their website sku# 1801184-01-BULK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@jon00jon

Neat. Thanks! I almost bought it but I think I'm happy with the svelte feel of the factory top-rail-only HG. I don't need to add unnecessary weight, either. Still, pretty cool!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Neat. Thanks! I almost bought it but I think I'm happy with the svelte feel of the factory top-rail-only HG. I don't need to add unnecessary weight, either. Still, pretty cool!
View Quote

Cool, Sig did it right with this one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Cool, Sig did it right with this one.
View Quote

Yeah they did, I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Okay, whoever bought the last one - we will want pics.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:25:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Regularassjoe] [#43]
Okay, whoever bought the last one - we will want pics.
View Quote

Will do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:48:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#44]
A factory single stage trigger isn't usually optimal if you're trying to squeeze precision from a decent rifle, given a good scope and ammunition.

Your cheapest (good) option is a Schmid two-stage trigger marketed by a few dozen places.  Aero has them for around $70 every day, while you can get them on holiday specials around $50.

Next would be a Rock River at around $85.

I think Larue's MBT is $99, new.

Armalite's is $145.  LMT's AXEL is around $175.

Primary Arms had Geissele G2S for $109 on the 4th.  SSA on special were around $175.  The SSA-E is a bit light for my preference (I get occasional surprise break or a second-round bump-fire with a 7.62). HS-NM is their top-of-the line.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone know which way the pins need to come out on the gas block?

Not planning on drilling them out first, hoping to just use a large hammer and punch.
View Quote

@Norinco982lover

Best I got. Good luck.

Sig Sauer M400 Gas block/Muzzle device upgrade
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know which way the pins need to come out on the gas block?

Not planning on drilling them out first, hoping to just use a large hammer and punch.
View Quote

Calipers/micrometer is your best bet, but maybe you can measure the heads with a ruler to see which is bigger.

These would be taper pins afterall, yes?
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#48]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#49]

@djp003

View Quote

@GaryT1776

I was reading your post above and you've owned several different date ranges of 716I's giving you probably the best picture and knowledge of exactly what the 716I is.

Can you clarify some of the issues with finishes and possible material changes between date ranges that you have witnessed?

I know you have moved on but while it's still fresh in your head before it becomes a thing of your past can you possibly shed some light?

Also in your opinion what does the 716I need to become a Top Teir competitor?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jon00jon] [#50]
Coming along nicely.  Setting up more of a mid-range defensive rifle than long range, but will have the capability if needed.  Thanks all for the trigger info, and I really enjoy reading everyone’s experiences with the platform and the technical details as well.
Attachment Attached File

Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top