Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2023 3:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: charlesb_la]
The Perun X16 Rifle is Pretty Amazing

Anyone ever handled/shot one of these? First I've heard of them.

Rainer Arms has them for $2059, which is too expensive I think, maybe they will improve distribution and get the price more reasonable.

ETA Gun Jesus did a video too.

Innovative and Interesting: Tinck Arms Perun X16

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering picking up a builders kit for a rifle. Was looking and didn’t see much feedback on these here or on Reddit. Anyone have a build to share details on?
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It has been around for a few years, I think.

The builders kit seems like the best option to me, at least if you want to build it how you want from the jump.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah the builders kit would drop the price and I have plenty of  lower parts. Can you just cut the back off of a cheap Anderson lower or do you need their lower?

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Castillo:
Looks awesome

Also, looks expensive

https://www.rainierarms.com/tinck-arms-kaiser-us-perun-x16-5-56-nato-rifle-16/
View Quote

Two grand is more or less the going rate for non-AR, modern 5.56 rifles. The price isn't outrageous, especially if Arex pistols are an indication of Slovenian quality.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

Two grand is more or less the going rate for non-AR, modern 5.56 rifles. The price isn't outrageous, especially if Arex pistols are an indication of Slovenian quality.
View Quote
You can find Hellions, Augs and Tavors in the $1600-$1700 range if you're patient. I think it would sell well in this range. Their big problem seems to be marketing and distribution. I had never heard of them.

If they partnered with a bigger player like S&W in a deal like Springfield and the Hellion they could take a good chunk of market share.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazymoose] [#9]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Those would sell very quickly in the USA
View Quote

They're here, they just seem to have one importer/distributor and no one knows about them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By charlesb_la:
You can find Hellions, Augs and Tavors in the $1600-$1700 range if you're patient. I think it would sell well in this range. Their big problem seems to be marketing and distribution. I had never heard of them.

If they partnered with a bigger player like S&W in a deal like Springfield and the Hellion they could take a good chunk of market share.
View Quote

True. But you can snag the builder kit for like $1200 and use your choice of standard AR barrel and come in at the $1500-1600 range, even if you spend a couple hundred on their stock with the kit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The most amazing part is FATF called the lower the serial number part.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a builder's kit yesterday. I have an XCR so I don't really need it, but it seems so different that I couldn't resist. Looking forward to messing with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:27:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#13]

In both video's they refer to the stock as a "SCAR" stock.

Isnt it in fact an ACR stock ? am i missing something ?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
The most amazing part is FATF called the lower the serial number part.
View Quote

LOL !!

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By barbcue:

In both video's they refer to the stock as a "SCAR" stock.

Isnt it in fact an ACR stock ? am i missing something ?
View Quote

It has the same interface as a SCAR. So they have a SCAR to ACR adapter in a lot of the videos. Seems now they're using the F5 Mfg version of the ACR stock in a lot of their newer advertisements/literature since Magpul isn't making ACR stocks anymore.

https://f5mfg.com/product/fn-scar-f5-modular-stock-system-adapter-included/
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
I ordered a builder's kit yesterday. I have an XCR so I don't really need it, but it seems so different that I couldn't resist. Looking forward to messing with it.
View Quote
Nice. Please keep us updated. Did you order their lower or are you going to modify an AR15 lower?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to modify my own and probably 3d print one for the giggles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont know why but I really don't like the US branding of Tinck Arms Kaiser"

Perun X16 sounds way better
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
So what type of gas block is required ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I believe it uses ar15 barrels, gas blocks and gas tubes
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

You can use an AR gasblock, but you will need to modify the gastube.

Alternatively, they have these:

It doesnt say anywhere on the site officially, but a question asked on the builder kit page says that if you use the Riflespeed gasblock, you dont need to modify the gas tube.

IDK, gonna have to look at the instruction for actual details.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Park-Hit-Run] [#22]
I’ve got a builder kit on the way as well from aea arms. Seems that the longest handguard option is unavailable now or was unavailable when I went to purchase.

I’d be interested to compare and contrast the kits we get and how you finish yours out. Will see what I can do about getting a parts list and some pictures hosted at Imgur when and as I’m assembling. Sounds like the builders kit takes a couple weeks to ship. I ordered on 3/10 and was told it will ship 10 to 15 days after that.

ETA - Looks like my kit will arrive Tuesday.  Would a member here be willing to post pictures up here for me so they can be better saved for future readers?  Imgur only stays around so long as do the archives here but figured it would be worth asking if I take the time to detail my build.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

You can use an AR gasblock, but you will need to modify the gastube.

Alternatively, they have these:
https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/73213978/3356084090.jpg

It doesnt say anywhere on the site officially, but a question asked on the builder kit page says that if you use the Riflespeed gasblock, you dont need to modify the gas tube.

IDK, gonna have to look at the instruction for actual details.
View Quote

I plan on using one of those for mine since I've been wanting to try one out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#24]
So it's an uglier and worse ACR?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
So it's an uglier and worse ACR?
View Quote

Uglier? Yeah I'll give you that. Worse? Meh, at least these are available.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Still waiting on some parts. Everything looks fairly well made good fit and finish but the lower leaves a bit to be desired.  

The front and rear takedown pin detent holes seem just a tad undersized. Had to search the parts bin for detents that would work. Takedown pins themselves are extremely tight.

Trigger and hammer pins are odd. There are metal inserts that apparently take a specific set of pins that were included with the builders kit but I’m not a fan of pins that take screws on either side. Those will be loctited for sure if I go that way.

Had to use a GI / standard profile bolt catch / release as the machined one i planned on using interferes with the profile of the ears on each side and wouldn’t allow the catch to pivot up on an empty magazine. I plan on having an aluminum lower machined eventually to replace the polymer lower even if it’s just a spare to correct all these issues. I might even consider having a polymer KE Arms / KP15 machined for this purpose if I can get one on sale.

“Standard” height sights require something in between a cheek and chin weld but I’m hoping to use Occam Defense sights.

My kit actually came with a bolt, firing pin and firing pin retainer even though the website clearly states that it wouldn’t. Bolt doesn’t look particularly high quality but we’ll see how it headspaces. Also the bolt does have gas rings but they dont seem necessary to function. Kit included a proprietary cam pin.

I also purchased the ACR “style” stock as an add on and I was concerned as the bootleg version shown in the pictures wasn’t getting favorable reviews. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a real deal Magpul ACR stock (with the Perun specific side folding adapter installed) as these are now discontinued and have risen dramatically in price on the secondary market. Kit also came with a fixed1913 rear adapter installed.

Still have to install barrel / gas block and modify the gas tube but it looks like there is some room for error on the gas tube which is good.

I’d also like to see Torx fasteners screwing into steel inserts in some parts like the handguard mounting system for longevity but worst case scenario that could be done later by a machine shop if something does strip out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if a PEQ would fit on that little stepped down rail section up front
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the update on Perun. I kind of figured that lower was iffy. My plan is to  purchase the builders kit and put an ADMFG ambi lower on it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Considered grabbing a lower before this WA state AWB goes through, but sounds like I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I would be sitting on as many spare lowers and parts and uppers and handguns and everything as I could if I was a WA resident. Feel sorry for you guys but hopefully it’s just a matter of time before it’s all overturned. The Perun upper seems high quality and any standard lower can be milled to fit it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#31]
Originally Posted By Castillo:
Looks awesome

Also, looks expensive

https://www.rainierarms.com/tinck-arms-kaiser-us-perun-x16-5-56-nato-rifle-16/
View Quote

What's up with the Rainier website. Loads about halfway then gets stuck in download hell.

Finally loaded. Rifle looks interesting. Would like to lay hands on first before plunking down $2k.

Couldn't find the builder kit on the Rainier site.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#32]
I got mine in finally. It seems that AEA Arms is a very small company so it takes a while for your stuff to ship. I ordered a 10.5" handguard and expected to get one marked "10.5" like I see in pictures, but the one I got says "11.5" on the handguard and the box. However, measuring the handguard it actually measures in at 10.5" OAL. The rail is slightly longer than the ones I've seen pictured that are marked "10.5" as evident by the additional half-MLOK slot. I'm okay with this since I prefer the slightly longer rail, but others might not be. Overall, the machining is okay with some parts having visible machine marks and rough texture (like on the bolt carrier), some parts have uneven machining, and others have edges that weren't deburred and are fairly sharp. The biggest culprit to a lot of the dents and dings on it seem to stem from careless assembly at the factory. None of these issues affect anything other than aesthetics, and you only really see them when you're up close as picky. Everything is really tight, and almost all of the sliding interfaces utilize dovetails, which is nice. The 1913 stock adapter that came with it was so tight that I had to hammer it off. On the flip side, I've had a Kinetic Development Group ACR to SCAR stock adapter for a while that I installed on the upper, and it's very loose. So loose that it would drive me insane to use as is. So I'll try tightening it up.

There are some things I think would be a good change, and I'm in the napkin drawing phase of those now. I'll try machining some stuff to see how they work. One of the things I'm focusing on first is the handguard attachment method. It relies on the close fit of the rail to the barrel nut and then a single dog-point screw keeps it from sliding forward. Axial alignment is maintained by the monolithic top rail. Should the hole that the dog-point screw goes into start to stretch out, the handguard will start sliding back and forth. Luckily, you can make an AR rail work with it, but only if it's the type that solely clamps around a smooth barrel nut and is the right diameter. This is the first fix I'm working on and I plan on making a new barrel nut to test, but it comes with challenges since the piston block is fitted to the proprietary barrel nut.

It's definitely serving its purpose though, which is being something new and interesting for me to tinker with. My receiver should be here on Monday and I'll start modifying it to fit this upper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
It does appear that any lower used with this Perun kit will have to have the rear takedown pin detent and spring come up through the pistol grip area next to the safety selector. I do not have a list of lowers that have this feature. A standard aluminum lower could probably be drilled for this feature easily enough while it is being milled to fit the kit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:
It does appear that any lower used with this Perun kit will have to have the rear takedown pin detent and spring come up through the pistol grip area next to the safety selector. I do not have a list of lowers that have this feature. A standard aluminum lower could probably be drilled for this feature easily enough while it is being milled to fit the kit.
View Quote

You just tap the rear takedown detent hole. A lot of premium lowers are already tapped. The size of the tap needed is in the included instructions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#35]
AH!  Very clever solution!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DT120] [#36]
There is only one that I have seen available. It is on Gunbroker. Buy now price was lowered from $2500 to $2200. Listed at 2000 or so with 0 bids. I would really like to get the 11.5" version and SBR it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've had my Perun for awhile now, happy to answer any questions.

I modified a standard Aero M4E1 lower to work with it. The mod was simple and easy with just a hacksaw and a file.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Any word on who can modify AR lowers to fit? I presume take down detent will also need to be modified as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DT120:  Any word on who can modify AR lowers to fit? I presume take down detent will also need to be modified as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DT120:  Any word on who can modify AR lowers to fit? I presume take down detent will also need to be modified as well.

Originally Posted By wkarma:  I modified a standard Aero M4E1 lower to work with it. The mod was simple and easy with just a hacksaw and a file.

Apparently anyone w/ opposable thumbs, a hacksaw, and a file.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Apparently anyone w/ opposable thumbs, a hacksaw, and a file.
View Quote

LOL No. I meant if you did not wish to have a Dremel tool result.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Any estimates when we will begin seeing these things available on a bigger scale?
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Any pics of the receiver mod?

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Any pics of the receiver mod?
View Quote

Is literally just a straight cut along the top plane of the receiver to remove the buffer tower. Easy.

https://www.aea-arms.com/online-store/XR-Lower-for-Perun-X16-Stripped-p511397569
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DT120:
Any estimates when we will begin seeing these things available on a bigger scale?
View Quote

Mine will be hitting the EE soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Citizen904:

Mine will be hitting the EE soon.
View Quote

Are you unhappy with it? If so do tell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DT120] [#46]
Any update on widespread availability yet?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Upper build kits available now.

Upper Build Kit
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I received a shipping notification today for a complete upper. Order was placed in early May 2023 with an expected delivery of July-August 2023. So they are a little behind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top