Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#1]
Here's the extra large bullet tray for the Hornady LNL AP press.

I tested it with about 200 230gr Federal HSTs.

I also found out that some newer Hornady presses have a ridge running down the backside of the press support bar. I sold a few of my trays on Ebay and found this out when the clamp wouldn't fit. So, I came up with another design for the clamps that have a relief cut in them to clear the ridge, and on presses that don't have the ridge you can still use your press lights (if they are thinner than 2mm).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4699476

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KPtexan:
I've got no problem modifying it for you if needed!  Is the end mill exactly 2" long?  How long is the length of cut?  I can knock it out today, but you're welcome to give it a shot too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:
Ran down to autozone and grabbed some orings this morning, but found one fatal flaw in my parts list - your design uses a 2 1/2" end I'll, and I got a 2" one. I think even my meager skills can trim the trimmer body down by 1/2" and try again though, so not a big deal.

Everything is a nice tight fit, I can say that at least. I printed both versions of the 223 bushing and the tight one is a hair too tight for me, but the other seems dead nuts. Bearings are solid as well. I did the mk4 btw. Will work on the snip now and then reprint this baby!
I've got no problem modifying it for you if needed!  Is the end mill exactly 2" long?  How long is the length of cut?  I can knock it out today, but you're welcome to give it a shot too.
Well, I'll let you know shortly! It's printing right now, so fingers crossed.

I just didn't want to ask for yet another favor, trying to get back into being able to do at least a little bit for myself when needed.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]

I just didn't want to ask for yet another favor, trying to get back into being able to do at least a little bit for myself when needed.

View Quote
Ok, no problem!  Just let me know if you run into any issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGE] [#4]
View All Quotes

Got it done up this morning and seems to be working great! I'm getting very square cuts, and without much practice coming in within 0.005" on lengths. That's good for me and my blasting ammo, that's for sure, and probably just as good as my hand-crank Lyman trimmer too.

I really jammed one in as hard as I could just to see what would happen , and it took it from 1.750" down to about 1.744", so even going as extreme as I could it will keep them well within spec. This was also in a cheap combo hammer/regular drill because my batteries were both dead in my normal cordless, so it might actually tighten up in a stiffer drill.

All in all, looks great and works well. Thank you a lot for all the work on this!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it done up this morning and seems to be working great! I'm getting very square cuts, and without much practice coming in within 0.005" on lengths. That's good for me and my blasting ammo, that's for sure, and probably just as good as my hand-crank Lyman trimmer too.

I really jammed one in as hard as I could just to see what would happen , and it took it from 1.750" down to about 1.744", so even going as extreme as I could it will keep them well within spec. This was also in a cheap combo hammer/regular drill because my batteries were both dead in my normal cordless, so it might actually tighten up in a stiffer drill.

All in all, looks great and works well. Thank you a lot for all the work on this!
View Quote
I'm thrilled to hear that, thanks for making it!  Helping out any fellow hobbyists makes any work worthwhile to me, and I'm always open to suggestions to improve things.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have a link to an STL to print to hold a small mirror above a bullet/case feeder?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody making the bullet feeder from the Castboolits thread?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CS223:
View Quote

I am. Have it all printed. Waiting on the hardware and my RL1100.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:
Finally got the 6.5 Creedmoor setup running at least on the bench.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6lv3wKqGL8
Got the 6.5 Creedmoor bullet feeder die working now also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEyQJbGe0c
I'll be doing a dry run on my Hornady LnL AP Progressive this afternoon.
I think that my 12mm diameter spring tube may be too big.

View Quote

@Thump_rrr  your bullet feeder looks awesome!  And the die!  Is this the same as the Castboolits one that has been brought up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:15:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#10]
View Quote

@CS223

@supermoose

Care to share the link? I just bought the 3D printed case feeder for my LNLAP because I wasn't sure if I would be able to print it well.

Kinda regret it now because all of my prints are turning out to be awesome quality.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

@CS223

@supermoose

Care to share the link? I just bought the 3D printed case feeder for my LNLAP because I wasn't sure if I would be able to print it well.

Kinda regret it now because all of my prints are turning out to be awesome quality.
View Quote
Link is Here TylerR is the project leader, the links to the files are at the bottom of all his posts. Start at the end of the thread for the most up to date info. I've been working on modding my Wanhao Duplicator i3 to get a little more work envelope, it's only 200mmx200mm. The Ender 3 is 220mmx220mm and the smallest printer that will work for the project. That's actually a plus since it's the most economical & popular 3D printer on the market right now.

@drfroglegs
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks! I know what the next project will be!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link is Here TylerR is the project leader, the links to the files are at the bottom of all his posts. Start at the end of the thread for the most up to date info. I've been working on modding my Wanhao Duplicator i3 to get a little more work envelope, it's only 200mmx200mm. The Ender 3 is 220mmx220mm and the smallest printer that will work for the project. That's actually a plus since it's the most economical & popular 3D printer on the market right now.

@drfroglegs
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

@CS223

@supermoose

@drfroglegs

I was having some issues with my collator plate, but I think I solved it. It's pretty sweet. I bought a 3d printer specifically for this. Have made some other things along the way too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I wish there was a way to print a large pistol case feeder plate for my hornady. I've been needing one for months now.
View Quote
Did you try Dillon? They are interchangeable so i'm told. If you can model the plate, you could print it in two or three sections with interlocking edges and glue it together.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't even own a Dillon........Yet.  But thought I'd print one of these up to see how I could attach it to my Inline Fab rail.  Turned out pretty nice if anyone was thinking about trying them out.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Working on printing a case feeder plate. I printed the middle pieces, almost done with the first section.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4271769

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20210221_143416-1835419.jpg
View Quote
That looks really good. I fought with my i3 all weekend trying to get it dialed in. I think my PLA
filament is too old. If fresh filament doesn't improve things I think I'm going to order an Ender Max.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks really good. I fought with my i3 all weekend trying to get it dialed in. I think my PLA
filament is too old. If fresh filament doesn't improve things I think I'm going to order an Ender Max.
View Quote
Do you use a filament dryer?  If not, you should give it a shot.  I found a nesco food dehydrator for sale from someone local (was actually new in box) for $20 and have repurposed it as a filament dryer.  I also store filament in a dry box (just a gasketed sterilite box) with rechargeable dessicant and a hygrometer for monitoring.  My filament is always fresh!  You may already be doing all of this, but might be good for others to know too.  I've also found a second purpose for this dehydrator - drying brass!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#21]
Do you use a filament dryer?  If not, you should give it a shot.  I found a nesco food dehydrator for sale from someone local (was actually new in box) for $20 and have repurposed it as a filament dryer.  I also store filament in a dry box (just a gasketed sterilite box) with rechargeable dessicant and a hygrometer for monitoring.  My filament is always fresh!  You may already be doing all of this, but might be good for others to know too.  I've also found a second purpose for this dehydrator - drying brass!
View Quote
No filament dry box, but I do have a dehydrator that I use for brass that I could try. The PLA I've been messing with has been open since 2016. I had it dialed in perfectly back then, still have the calibration cube but haven't been able to duplicate it with the same Cura settings. I was blaming the Flexion extruded that I had installed a while back, I switched back to the original hot end and still no improvement. Been thru a complete realignment, PID tune, multiple bed levelings etc. Only thing left is the filament. I have a kg roll of the same vintage still in a sealed bag that I might try tho I think 5 year old filament probably should be left for crap jobs. Someone gave me some Hatchbox still in a sealed bag that is probably newer, I might try it for grins.

ETA. What brand(s) of filament does everyone prefer?

ETA-2 Opened a sealed roll of PLA of same vintage and printed with it tonight. It printed like butter @195F. I had to run the old stuff at 215F so clearly old filament was the problem. Got my axis calibration dialed in and now I'm fighting ringing primarily at 60mm/s. At 40mm/s it looks pretty clean. Not having much luck tweaking jerk & accel settings so I may just set Cura to print the skin at 40mm/s and the infill at a higher speed.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Well the large pistol brass case feeder plate is done. Seems to work in the feeder.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4271769

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20210224_141100-1839701.jpg
View Quote
Well done, looks awesome!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:55:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Very cool. How much does something like that cost to print, plus the hardware to make it work?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#25]
Software needed for Apple computers?

Toying with getting into 3D printing.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Milsurpninja] [#26]
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Software needed for Apple computers?

Toying with getting into 3D printing.

View Quote

On my Mac, I use Cura for a slicer and OnShape for design (which is web based).  Just make the leap. I’m amazed at how much better my cheap creality is than my old monoprice. Definitely a great bang for your buck in today’s printers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Word of advice, stay off thingiverse: "ooooh, I need to print one those, oh and two of those, oh that's cool need one of them....." 3D printing is almost as addicting as AR collecting
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
@KPtexan dunno if you've been using it much, but I finally got busy with your trimmer today. Did 150 LC brass, took 5" or 10" I guess, wasn't really keeping track. Once I got the touch right, i.e. not pressing tooooo hard, I was turning out pretty close to perfect length. Even the ones I hit a little hard in the beginning just got down to 1.7450 or so at minimum vs target 1.750.

It was so much faster than my normal method too. Big thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#31]
@KPtexan dunno if you've been using it much, but I finally got busy with your trimmer today. Did 150 LC brass, took 5" or 10" I guess, wasn't really keeping track. Once I got the touch right, i.e. not pressing tooooo hard, I was turning out pretty close to perfect length. Even the ones I hit a little hard in the beginning just got down to 1.7450 or so at minimum vs target 1.750.

It was so much faster than my normal method too. Big thanks again.
View Quote
Great!  Glad to hear the design worked out well for you.

To let y'all know what I'm working on now, I'm in the process of designing a mount for my Magnetospeed Sporter chronograph.  I think Magnetospeed intentionally limited the Sporter's mounting flexibility so people don't choose it over the much more expensive V3.  

My mount will get it off the barrel and mount to a picatinny so it will be compatible with many handguns too.  Should be done with it today!  By far, the most expensive part of the project is the carbon fiber tube I'm using, but that was only $15 shipped for twice the amount I needed.  If I really wanted to go cheaper I could've used an aluminum tube or even 5/8" wooden dowel, but my goal was to keep it light and rigid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I did a set of pistol brass sorting trays, no more sitting on the floor sorting buckets of brass.  I've been too cheap to buy them, so this was the perfect job for the printer.  Each one took about 10 hours.

Link to the files

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:
I did a set of pistol brass sorting trays, no more sitting on the floor sorting buckets of brass.  I've been too cheap to buy them, so this was the perfect job for the printer.  Each one took about 10 hours.

Link to the files

https://i.imgur.com/gIjrfkU.jpg
View Quote

Nice!!

Now I can sort my range brass that's all mixed up.

I'll print them with a 0.6mm nozzle and it should cut the time to print in half.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got my Magnetospeed mount pretty well refined, and I'll be uploading STLs soon.  I need to get it out there with some real world testing, but preliminary geometry and functionality checks seem pretty good:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:

Link to the files

https://i.imgur.com/gIjrfkU.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know these files were available.

Originally Posted By memsu:

Nice!!

Now I can sort my range brass that's all mixed up.

I'll print them with a 0.6mm nozzle and it should cut the time to print in half.
View Quote

Thanks for suggesting the 0.6mm nozzle. I just got one a few days back and haven't used it yet.

Did a comparison between the 0.4mm and 0.6mm nozzles and it went from 15hrs to 7hrs.

Running the 0.6mm nozzle now!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Printed up a pistol pic rail for my Magnetospeed.  About to run to Lowes to find some hardware to mount it.  Thingiverse STL  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3864003

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: magicman93] [#39]
Has anyone successfully printed and used the Hornady LNL die bushings? I found the file on thingieverse but I am not sure how well they would hold up. There is a lot of stress on those bushings and I think they would break.
View Quote

I use one for my powder measure. But I’m just throwing by hand so there’s very little stress.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Turbo_Kill3r:
Printed up a pistol pic rail for my Magnetospeed.  About to run to Lowes to find some hardware to mount it.  Thingiverse STL  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3864003

https://i.imgur.com/QZsM8tH.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/JuGIrsW.jpg?1
View Quote
Very nice!  That's great solution - Magnetospeed sure made the V3 easier to mount than the Sporter.  For those of you with the Sporter model, I've completed my design in both Picatinny and Arca mount types: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/61632-magnetospeed-sporter-mount

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#41]
This was an experiment in some ersatz .410 shells for my bond arms derringer. My first load was really weak because I had nothing to go off of, resulting in the shot bouncing off of my paper. Interestingly, instead of the whole capsule exiting barrel, it just blew out the front and back and left an empty “hull.”  Definitely need to do more experimentation here. I also printed some more conventional pistol shot capsules for .45 and .38, but haven’t tested those yet. Tough to print these well because of the close tolerance and poor dimensional accuracy with 3D printing on something this small.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milsurpninja] [#44]
So I printed the Hornady Case Feeder v2 from Thingiverse but looks like I'm missing a piece that this 5.5" bolt goes through.  Any ideas?

ETA:  Nevermind I found out.  Rod Holder for V2.STL was the answer.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#45]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
So I printed the Hornady Case Feeder v2 from Thingiverse but looks like I'm missing a piece that this 5.5" bolt goes through.  Any ideas?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/image_jpg-1913625.JPG

View Quote

@Milsurpninja

I actually bought the case feeder from the guy who developed that file before I got a 3D printer. It works exceptionally well, im thrilled with it.

If you have any questions shoot me an IM.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/image_jpg-1913625.JPG

View Quote

There are actually 2 versions of that piece. One uses a rod and one uses a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Has anybody seen or does anybody have a file for a spent primer funnel or chute for a Dillon 550?  I'd like to be able to run a tube into a plastic bottle to catch the spent primers just like people have done on the SDB, 650/750, and 1050.  I've seen printed and machined setups for all the Dillon presses except the 550.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pbfarmer945:
Has anybody seen or does anybody have a file for a spent primer funnel or chute for a Dillon 550?  I'd like to be able to run a tube into a plastic bottle to catch the spent primers just like people have done on the SDB, 650/750, and 1050.  I've seen printed and machined setups for all the Dillon presses except the 550.

Any help is appreciated.
View Quote

I would think this would be easy to modify from a bin to a chute.
You would just need to cut a hole and add a barbed section to secure the tubing. I think tinkercad should be able to handle something basic like that.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3531892
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:03:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#49]
Ran out of time to install, wife called me in for dinner. Looks like it'll work though. Instead of flying off the ski jump, they'll fall through a little hole. The box insert slides out for easy dumping.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20210107_174944_jpg-1769029.JPG
View Quote
I used scotch tape and cardboard from a primer tray jacket to build higher walls on my ski jump.  After installing switches to easily shut off the primer feed, the ski jump is mostly unused anymore.  My newer press doesn't have any mods at all.

A simpler thing I have seen sold, is a click on wall that makes the end of the ski jump a bit taller.  I might still buy a couple of these if I find the right deal.  This should be an easy part for you printer wizzards.

This is the primer switch I use, very handy, made of aluminum, but could possibly end up being a printed part:

Amazing work on this thread, Bravo!
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top