Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2018 6:01:45 PM EDT
I received my Chinese manufactured bipod which is patterned after the Atlas design. These are not sold as "Atlas", but as "Green Blob" although I have no idea about the name. I know some oppose using foreign products but I got over that long ago as a ham radio enthusiast.

Ok, it isn't perfect. I found out that the pivot/swivel function felt rough and jerky plus with no swivel stop it would turn completely around.

So, I took it apart and saw that the cup that allows the pivot and swivel was machined a little rough. I took a brass washer and formed it to the cup as a bearing and voila it is smooth. This was easy to do by just crushing it to a perfect fit in the vise with very little pressure.

It has no swivel stop so the bipod will spin all the way around which is not desirable. So I drilled/tapped two holes and installed two allen head cap screws with rubber tube over the exposed threads to limit the swivel travel to just a few degrees.

I took a little aluminum off the inside of the rail clamp to allow a little tighter fit.

These little modifications to me are acceptable at this price and it does not bother me as I am a tinkerer. If you want a perfect out of the box version of this, the real Atlas I am sure is a fantastic product.

This bipod design is by definition "loose" on purpose compared to a Harris style. The idea is that by being able to move a little the rifle will be able to recoil smoothly and not jerk due to bipod feet moving. This one appears to allow this movement.

I like that it folds to the rear as well as to the front.

I like it has five positions for the leg angle.

I like that it tilts a few degrees to allow leveling the reticle on uneven ground.

I like that it swivels a couple of degrees to engage a different target without moving the feet.

I like that tilt and swivel can be tightened up to where you like with the knurled knob.

I like that it has leg notches.

Is it an Atlas quality product? Of course not, it is 1/10th the price.

Is it servicable? It appears so, time will tell. For $29.95 shipped...I think it's great.

Swivel stops I created

Disco lever

Straight

Extended

Angled forward

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm willing to give it a go for $29.95, where'd you find it for that price.  Ebay is showing up for 38-50.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm willing to give it a go for $29.95, where'd you find it for that price.  Ebay is showing up for 38-50.
View Quote
Got it on ebay.

Here ya go, exact same one. Even has the same pics as Green Blob.
I can't find the actual blob for 29.99 now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoors-CNC-QD-Tactical-Bipod-6-5-9-inch-Hunting-Black-Adjustable-Pan-Tilt-zxs-/272850062551
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Got one ordered, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks pretty nice.  I just picked up a CVLIFE Chinese knockoff of a Harris for $16.99.  Was impressed with the quality for the price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how much in royalties B&T are getting from these.

When you buy this knock off crap, and yes, its a direct knock off, you are supporting the demise of American manufacturing and killing American jobs.

Like it or not, thats the cold hard truth. Doesn't matter what they call it, its a counterfeit Atlas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When you buy this knock off crap, and yes, its a direct knock off, you are supporting the demise of American manufacturing and killing American jobs.

Like it or not, thats the cold hard truth. Doesn't matter what they call it, its a counterfeit Atlas.
View Quote
Just as important is thst they are junk. I wouldn't put one on a pellet gun but then again I don't like watching my guns hit the ground.

The UTG Heavy Duty Recon bipod is as cheap of a bipod that I would consider.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, let's play this out. So in your mind a bipod made for about $10 is a direct competitor to Atlas? No, because anyone who would buy this bipod was never going to spend $280 on an Atlas to begin with.

Especially me for my .22

Your moral objection aside, it is a given that companies rip off other company's designs. Every electronic device made is a ripoff of somebody else's design, including whatever you typed your comment on.

Go buy an Atlas if you want. I am sure they are first quality and I wish them no harm...but I didn't "not buy an Atlas" to buy this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I own 2 Atlas bipods. I also have the knock off versions as well. They work great, with 2 O-rings and a little grease on the main bolt. That is the fix everyone for the side to side movement, problem solved there. I own several of the fakes like I said. Atlas is better, but not 10 plus times better? Atlas are out of there minds with there prices IMO. After buying the 2 real Atlas bipods. I wanted to see what the fake ones where like. I can tell you, Atlas needs to step up their game. Love both bipods, Fake and real...  so bitch all you want. Good is Good!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got it on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoors-CNC-QD-Tactical-Bipod-6-5-9-inch-Hunting-Black-Adjustable-Pan-Tilt-zxs-/272850062551
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got it on ebay.

@ponykilr
Link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I own 2 Atlas bipods. I also have the knock off versions as well. They work great, with 2 O-rings and a little grease on the main bolt. That is the fix everyone for the side to side movement, problem solved there. I own several of the fakes like I said. Atlas is better, but not 10 plus times better? Atlas are out of there minds with there prices IMO. After buying the 2 real Atlas bipods. I wanted to see what the fake ones where like. I can tell you, Atlas needs to step up their game. Love both bipods, Fake and real...  so bitch all you want. Good is Good!
View Quote
I wanted to like the green blob I got to try, but it failed to impress for a variety of reasons.
1) The pan feature sucks.  With no stops, it can spin all the way around.  Being that you couldn't tension it enough to prevent this, it's a problem.
2) the tilt feature was practically non-existent. I didn't break out a protractor, but the most we were able to get was a couple degrees each side.  Made the "feature" fairly useless.
3) The rubber feet were too hard.  They had no grab on a plastic table and a wooden table.  They just skitted across the surface which made loading the bipod impossible.  This would be a non-issue shooting prone in the grass.

I'm a middle class regular Joe.  I don't have mountains of disposable income.  I had to save my pennies to get nice stuff I like.  Similarly, I don't have the money to replace cheap stuff repeatedly.

I do own two atlas PSR bipods.  I waited for site-wide vendor sales before I bought them, but even then it was tough to stomach the cost.  A cheaper alternative that functions the same would've been welcome.  But IME, the green blob isn't that.  Looks similar, lacks the functionality.

If you're max expenditure on a bipod is $40-$50, I'd recommend saving a bit more and buying a Harris. Skip the Caldwell look-alike, it's a POS too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, let's play this out. So in your mind a bipod made for about $10 is a direct competitor to Atlas? No, because anyone who would buy this bipod was never going to spend $280 on an Atlas to begin with.

Especially me for my .22

Your moral objection aside, it is a given that companies rip off other company's designs. Every electronic device made is a ripoff of somebody else's design, including whatever you typed your comment on.

Go buy an Atlas if you want. I am sure they are first quality and I wish them no harm...but I didn't "not buy an Atlas" to buy this.
View Quote
That argument is incredibly stupid and naive. You are trying to justify ripping someones idea, design, and IP because you simply can't afford to purchase it? Did I read that right? I know the guys at B&T and they have been fighting these chicom companies, but since China does not care when they rip off American companies, and apparently neither do Americans, there is very little they can do about it. It is costing them a lot of money and ultimately will lead to the loss of good people's jobs.

But it's ok, because it's only $10.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That argument is incredibly stupid and naive. You are trying to justify ripping someones idea, design, and IP because you simply can't afford to purchase it? Did I read that right? I know the guys at B&T and they have been fighting these chicom companies, but since China does not care when they rip off American companies, and apparently neither do Americans, there is very little they can do about it. It is costing them a lot of money and ultimately will lead to the loss of good people's jobs.

But it's ok, because it's only $10.
View Quote
I am not justifying anything, it just is. It is not that I cannot afford to buy an Atlas brand but that I choose not to. You don't have to like it, I am not asking you to.

I bought this from a US BASED DISTRIBUTOR not a company shipping from China. It came from Texas. Give your friends the tip.

I didn't cost anyone money, because I was not going to buy an Atlas, plain and simple. The product being available for the price it is available for caused me to purchase it. If it had not been available I would have bought some other design in the range I was willing to spend.

In free market economies we are able to buy the products we determine meet our requirements and price point. If a US based distributor is breaking a law, go after them. Otherwise go start your own thread in a non-tech area about how you despise knock-offs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got it on ebay.

View Quote
Works for me still. Just search tilt pan bipod.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am not justifying anything, it just is. It is not that I cannot afford to buy an Atlas brand but that I choose not to. You don't have to like it, I am not asking you to.

I bought this from a US BASED DISTRIBUTOR not a company shipping from China. It came from Texas. Give your friends the tip.

I didn't cost anyone money, because I was not going to buy an Atlas, plain and simple. The product being available for the price it is available for caused me to purchase it. If it had not been available I would have bought some other design in the range I was willing to spend.

In free market economies we are able to buy the products we determine meet our requirements and price point. If a US based distributor is breaking a law, go after them. Otherwise go start your own thread in a non-tech area about how you despise knock-offs.
View Quote
There you go again justifying the purchase of counterfeit goods because you are too cheap to purchase a real one, and it is pretty sad that you think thats ok.

Free market economies are great, because they allow you to protect your product with IP and patents. However, that only works when other companies fall under that jurisdiction. The "US" based Distributor you speak of is in fact involved in a legal dispute with quite a few companies for selling counterfeit goods.

but again, according to your logic, thats all ok because you can't afford to purchase the real deal?

But, I am glad to see that you are admitting to it being a "knock-off".
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]
In case the rest of you were wondering, I used the bipod today and it is very strong and works well. It loads better than my Harris and I think I prefer it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a green blob. I got it off Amazon for around $50. It is excellent for a cheap bipod. I have it on a 308 and as I move more into precision shooting I am starting to see some downfalls but they are acceptable given what I paid for it. To me if I like the design enough I may purchase an atlas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top