Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:06:59 PM EDT
in 6.5 Creedmoor..what else?? LOL

Seriously, this rifle definitely has potential, now to tune some loads for it!

The 400 Yard Lever Action Henry 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay...but why?

Edit: for the record, it's quite a good video! I'm just questioning the purpose of the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay...but why?
View Quote
Exxxxfuckingzactly what's with everybody putting their dickbeaters on all of the classic rifles and retrofitting them for new calibers.

Look tacticools if you are too good for the old cartridges then GET A NEW RIFLE. Stop molesting everything because you want to feel good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Exxxxfuckingzactly what's with everybody putting their dickbeaters on all of the classic rifles and retrofitting them for new calibers.

Look tacticools if you are too good for the old cartridges then GET A NEW RIFLE. Stop molesting everything because you want to feel good.
View Quote
I mean, it's not even that. I just don't get the point of trying to make a levergun do long range, when it's got a fair few issues inherent that stack up against it vs a bolt action. One of which being that lever guns kinda suck to try and shoot from the prone. An advantage of lever-guns is that they're quick to handle and shoot, especially on close and/or moving targets. Additionally, they're often chambered in cartridges that are a bit slow but fairly heavy to help punch through brush, which the lighter fast long range rounds don't generally handle quite as well.

I've no problem with modernizing old designs or putting funny rounds in weird guns, I just don't quite get the point of trying to make a lever gun do long range. Gimmie a lever gun in 300blk with a 16in threaded barrel or 458 SOCOM that takes AR mags and you're going to have all of my attention. Or a 375 Raptor would be sweet as well, even if it didn't take AR10 mags.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
400? Marlin 45-70 guide gun at 1080 yards
[youtube]embed/zruU2xLcm1o"[/youtube]

I was looking at the 6.5 LA the other day and may get one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My 44 can do 400 yards.

With 6.5 Creed, they should be saying 1400 yards.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
With a 44 what's the hold over at 400 yards?
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Aim at the sun at high noon?
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That action looks like a Browning BLR
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Savage 99 in .308 easy 400 yard gun
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With a 44 what's the hold over at 400 yards?
View Quote
With a rifle, a bunch.  Just gotta have something in the background for reference.  If I was using blue sky, I'd be lost.

Then again, I've spent time shooting 400 yard steel wih a Glock 17.  Only about 20% hits though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I mean, it's not even that. I just don't get the point of trying to make a levergun do long range, when it's got a fair few issues inherent that stack up against it vs a bolt action. One of which being that lever guns kinda suck to try and shoot from the prone. An advantage of lever-guns is that they're quick to handle and shoot, especially on close and/or moving targets. Additionally, they're often chambered in cartridges that are a bit slow but fairly heavy to help punch through brush, which the lighter fast long range rounds don't generally handle quite as well.

I've no problem with modernizing old designs or putting funny rounds in weird guns, I just don't quite get the point of trying to make a lever gun do long range. Gimmie a lever gun in 300blk with a 16in threaded barrel or 458 SOCOM that takes AR mags and you're going to have all of my attention. Or a 375 Raptor would be sweet as well, even if it didn't take AR10 mags.  
View Quote
That's what I meant... i was just being an ass haha
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
^This. The Savage 1895 and Winchester 1895 in .30-40 were capable of doing everything shown in this video almost 125 years ago. The Winchester was later offered in .30-06 and the Savage evolved into the 99 in .300 Savage and then .308 so... getting past 100 yards with a lever gun isn't exactly something new.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s a new Henry rifle based on the Browning BLR. It isn’t an old rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
The idea of  Lever Action rifle is not new.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rack and pinion and rotating bolt is newer tech I bought my BLR in the late 80s.

But they started making them in the 1960s, not the 1860s
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The rack and pinion and rotating bolt is newer tech I bought my BLR in the late 80s.

View Quote
Fair point
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That action looks like a Browning BLR
View Quote
It is a pure clone of Brownings BLR. I have a .308 stainless, lightweight , and the Henry is a pure copy of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fair point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point
I am not sure if you ever shot one, but if you get the chance to handle and shoot
a steel framed one you should try it. They are accurate rifles and so good looking.
the machine work on mine is a work of art. Mine (308) is sub MOA all day long.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am not sure if you ever shot one, but if you get the chance to handle and shoot
a steel framed one you should try it. They are accurate rifles and so good looking.
the machine work on mine is a work of art. Mine (308) is sub MOA all day long.
View Quote
Never have, actually never seen one in person. I'll keep that in mind!
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I can see the point.  Hunting out west on horseback, lever guns are better in a scabbard and having that kind of range (while likely never really going to need it) is nice piece of mind on expensive tags.

Other than that niche scenario, it’s cool but that’s about it

I still want one, in .308 though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]
38-55 Marlin Cowboy with tang ladder sight, Hand cast lead slugs and Unique or Universal rings steel all day at 500yrds you do need to wait on it awhile though
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
And those 1960’s rifles were built around modern cartriges like .308, .243, 300 Win mag etc.

Chambering it in Grendel or Creed is perfectly legit for the platform.

Nobody is saying Savage 99’s, Winchester 95’s, 88’s or Finnwolfs are dumb..
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And those 1960’s rifles were built around modern cartriges like .308, .243, 300 Win mag etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I love lever actions. They are not benchrest queens. But are very handy
in real world hunting and outdoor "activities" and always have been.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exactly, I love lever actions. They are not benchrest queens. But are very handy
in real world hunting and outdoor "activities" and always have been.
View Quote
Copy that.

Some guys act like you shot their dog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used my Winchester 88 in .308 with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope to shoot at 1' steel plates at 400yds.  Not that hard to hit them either.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Yawn...an ugly copy of a Browning BLR with ugly wood to match.

Not sure what the point is here. The  Browning version has been available in a whole slate of long-range calibers for many years. Is this a lot cheaper? I hope so considering the crappy finish on the metal.

I had a $79 SKS with nicer wood and bluing than that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is a video about the 223/556 model. wood looks good and it performs really
good. I have wanted some extra mags for my 308 BLR, hope theirs fit my rifle.

I might buy a 223 version.

The Henry Long Ranger in .223/5.56
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Henry Long Ranger in .308....Here's why....

The state I live in, WA, passed a law that requires training, registration, and a special license to buy any semi-automatic rifle starting July1st. Really! Even a 10-22!

So the next fastest repeating rifle for shooting at moving targets after a semi-auto is a lever action, IMHO! Magazine loading is much faster than stuffing a tube one round at a time. Magazines also allow for pointed type projectiles. So the 2 standouts for me were the BLR and Henry Long Ranger. I did my research and settled on the Henry instead of the BLR for one reason. The BLR has a 1-12 twist, The Henry 1-10.  
In .308 1-12 typically won't stabilize the heavier offerings of that caliber.

I set my rifle up with a Skinner Peep sight that also has a rail for a quick release scope mount. The front sight had to be raised to fit the peep sight, so I went with a fiber optic front sight. It's sighted in at 200 yards. Off the bag on my bench I'm shooting 3"-4" at 200 yards with the peep sight. More than adequate for me. I'm going to set up a light scope for it for in case I need to make a 400-500 yard shot. The theory being I can pull the scope out and mount it if I find myself in that position, but would carry the rifle almost all the time with the peep sight the way it is. The best of a bad situation brought me back to the lever action for predators. Some of you have said if you want a scope why not get a bolt? They're too slow. The magazine feed is a no brainer for this use. It's not about nostalgia for me. It's about the best option today.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a Henry Long Ranger in .308....Here's why....

The state I live in, WA, passed a law that requires training, registration, and a special license to buy any semi-automatic rifle starting July1st. Really! Even a 10-22!

So the next fastest repeating rifle for shooting at moving targets after a semi-auto is a lever action, IMHO! Magazine loading is much faster than stuffing a tube one round at a time. Magazines also allow for pointed type projectiles. So the 2 standouts for me were the BLR and Henry Long Ranger. I did my research and settled on the Henry instead of the BLR for one reason. The BLR has a 1-12 twist, The Henry 1-10.  
In .308 1-12 typically won't stabilize the heavier offerings of that caliber.

I set my rifle up with a Skinner Peep sight that also has a rail for a quick release scope mount. The front sight had to be raised to fit the peep sight, so I went with a fiber optic front sight. It's sighted in at 200 yards. Off the bag on my bench I'm shooting 3"-4" at 200 yards with the peep sight. More than adequate for me. I'm going to set up a light scope for it for in case I need to make a 400-500 yard shot. The theory being I can pull the scope out and mount it if I find myself in that position, but would carry the rifle almost all the time with the peep sight the way it is. The best of a bad situation brought me back to the lever action for predators. Some of you have said if you want a scope why not get a bolt? They're too slow. The magazine feed is a no brainer for this use. It's not about nostalgia for me. It's about the best option today.
View Quote
Not sure what part of WA you are in but we should get together some day. I'd like a friendly challenge of speed, my GSR vs. your lever. Although we wen't with different actions we agree on the detachable box magazine for this wonderful state. My favorite lever gun is the 1895 Winchester, it's much quicker to load that the standard Kings Patent loading gate but still not as fast as a dbm.

Also, I know most of the literature says nothing slower than 1:10 for heavy .30 caliber but that's not entirely true, my 1895 Winchester in .30-40 has a 1:12 twist and it stabilizes 220 grain bullets very well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've had my 99 in .300 Savage out to 200.  It grouped well enough that I'd try 400.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not sure what part of WA you are in but we should get together some day. I'd like a friendly challenge of speed, my GSR vs. your lever. Although we wen't with different actions we agree on the detachable box magazine for this wonderful state. My favorite lever gun is the 1895 Winchester, it's much quicker to load that the standard Kings Patent loading gate but still not as fast as a dbm.

Also, I know most of the literature says nothing slower than 1:10 for heavy .30 caliber but that's not entirely true, my 1895 Winchester in .30-40 has a 1:12 twist and it stabilizes 220 grain bullets very well.
View Quote
Twist effects length of bullets not weight most 220s are no longer than say a 180 grain accubond.  Most 1:12 guns will shoot pretty much any bullet up to 180 grains some will struggle with the very long 180s.  But my Browning xbolt is 1:12 and it shoots 180 corelokt s as good as anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
99E with the box magazine? I’ve always wanted to find a deal on one of those.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
400? Marlin 45-70 guide gun at 1080 yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embed/zruU2xLcm1o"

I was looking at the 6.5 LA the other day and may get one.
View Quote
That thing must lob a bullet like a mortar round.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Okay...but why?

Edit: for the record, it's quite a good video! I'm just questioning the purpose of the rifle itself.
View Quote
Why not. I have a BLR in .308 and love it. I want the Henry, just not sure what caliber.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

99E with the box magazine? I’ve always wanted to find a deal on one of those.
View Quote
Pretty sure the e series always had the internal rotary magazine throughout the entire run.  They didn't have the brass counter and the safety location changed
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why not. I have a BLR in .308 and love it. I want the Henry, just not sure what caliber.
View Quote
I get and love the idea of managing to fit Spitzer bullets in a lever gun. It's more the idea of taking a firearm design that's optimized for closer range work, and chambering it in a cartridge that's optimized for longer range work. The lever action design is inherently inferior to a bolt action for precision work - and that's fine. A bolt action is inherently inferior for close range work and speed.

What I'd love to see is a lever gun chambered in 300blk with a 16in barrel and enough muzzle left after the front sight for threading. It'd let you have a lightweight, low-recoiling, quick handling and shooting rifle that'd do great on medium size game out to a couple hundred yards - while still being 50 state legal. But if you live in a non-ban state, or if it's just a partially infringed state, you could thread and suppress it easily.

Sticking with bigger calibers, I'd rather see it set up for bigger heavier pointy bullets that still focus on the closer in work that lever actions are good for. For me, I just don't get the point of a smaller, lighter, and faster bullet in a lever gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I get and love the idea of managing to fit Spitzer bullets in a lever gun. It's more the idea of taking a firearm design that's optimized for closer range work, and chambering it in a cartridge that's optimized for longer range work. The lever action design is inherently inferior to a bolt action for precision work - and that's fine. A bolt action is inherently inferior for close range work and speed.

What I'd love to see is a lever gun chambered in 300blk with a 16in barrel and enough muzzle left after the front sight for threading. It'd let you have a lightweight, low-recoiling, quick handling and shooting rifle that'd do great on medium size game out to a couple hundred yards - while still being 50 state legal. But if you live in a non-ban state, or if it's just a partially infringed state, you could thread and suppress it easily.

Sticking with bigger calibers, I'd rather see it set up for bigger heavier pointy bullets that still focus on the closer in work that lever actions are good for. For me, I just don't get the point of a smaller, lighter, and faster bullet in a lever gun.
View Quote
It has a rotary bolt, it is a lever actuated bolt action.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
As another poster said it's basically a bolt that's operated by a lever.  Still they aren't known from everything I have seen for being quite as accurate but they can be good enough for 400 yard shots on game. Past that I don't really care about anyhow.  I have had a couple 99s and they were 1.5 to 2 inch guns at 100 yards.  I took them out to 300 on stell and they were adequate at that range but not quite as good as a good bolt gun.  I don't like the 300 BLK as it struggles at any range past the 30-30 and is a little light in the energy department a 6.5 Grendel  or 6.8 spcwould be better as you could do subsonic since you aren't worrying about gas cycling the action
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I got some decent gunsight video footage this time with the Athlon Optics scope which btw, is a pretty sweet piece of glass.

Athlon Optics Midas HMR 2.5-15×50 AHMR MOA 1st Look
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Meh, I'd be happy with a 1895 in 30-06, .303, 30-40 Krag, 7.92x57 or 7.62x54R- any of those will easily do 400yrds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
38-55 Marlin Cowboy with tang ladder sight, Hand cast lead slugs and Unique or Universal rings steel all day at 500yrds you do need to wait on it awhile though
View Quote
Now this actually sounds fun! I've got a Savage 99 in .300 Savage with the Williams peep that does 250 yards pretty easy with a bead under bulls eye sight in on and eight inch target. I've got a hankering to rebarrel a 336 to .375 win just for something in between my .30/30 and my .45/70. But a part of me wants a 16" Trapper, but then another part wants an octagon 24" half tube with curved pistol grip and fancy walnut. Along with a mid range veneer sight.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Marlin 45-70 Guide gun at the mile

Granted it's hard to hit something at that range but I love the long wait before the dust cloud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top