BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The weight loss doesn't seems very substantial considering all the changes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The weight loss doesn't seems very substantial considering all the changes.
It is substantial. I don't think you're appreciating what the rails weigh.

These are the numbers I've pulled together (I can't find a weight for an M1 with optic) and I'm using 14" barrels to keep the comparison as apples to apples as possible

AUG A1, 14" barrel w/optic...7.1 lbs <--That's the lightest version Steyr ever produced. The A1 has less receiver material due to the fixed optic housing.
F90/ATRAX, 14" barrel,no optic...6.9 lbs
M4A1, 14.5" barrel, w/quad rail, no optic...7.2 lbs
AUG A3 M1 (16" because I can't find 14" data): 7.7 pounds (Short Rail), 7.8 pounds (High Rail), 8.8 pounds (Optic)

And the reason they have the forward rails is that they ditched the vfg in order to have a more integrated grenade launcher. If you want a vfg, you have to attach it to the new front rail (and it won't be as ergonomic as the original)
That could be solved by adding a rail-grabber to the exact same grip.

On the AUG most of the weight is in the receiver and bolt carrier. I wonder how hard it would be for Steyr to skeletonize the receiver some to lose half a pound or so?
It would probably be challenging. They already have an A3 receiver they could've lightened, but didn't. It's their heaviest receiver yet, even if you dismount all the rails from it (for the billet version they sell in the U.S. anyway).
I'd like to see weights of the A2 receivers and the European A3 receivers (which are cast) but I'm not finding the data.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cast receiver, I'll try to strip it down and weigh it if I can.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Having lived through those days as a consumer with cash to spend, a lot of it has to do with price.  Back in the 80s you could get a Colt's AR-15 for ~$450 or so and a Mini-14 for a bit less, it was hard to justify spending ~$800+ for the others.  I bought an HK-91 for about $800 in 1987 and sold it shortly after when I realized that the accessories were stupid expensive.  Magazines were ~$30-50 each, the freaking cleaning kit (which now sells for about $5 surplus) was $25 new.  Then you have the fact that other than HK, none of the other brands really advertised and were more boutique guns than anything.  We look at those prices today and shrug, but consider that in 1987, that $800 HK-91A2 would cost ~$1670 in current dollars, and a $30 magazine would be ~$63.

In the end, the selection was pretty exotic, and the stuff was available, but it became a simple issue of cost, lack of the manufacturers' advertising and educating the public, and the mindset that "those guns" were the purview of survivalists and wannabes.

If you can find it, in 1982 Guns and Ammo released a publication called "Assault Rifles: The New Breed of Sporting Arm".  I found a copy on eBay:

Guns and Ammo's Assult Rifles: The New Breed of Sporting Arm"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah, it would have happened already.  they probably figure the next administration would ban it anyway.  and in the next couple years they would probably sell about 1200 of them, maybe...

I always wondered why Americans bought so few exotic guns back in the day before 1989 like H&K, FNC, Daewoo, etc...  but seeing how they overwhelming prefer ARs these days despite a smorgasbord of overseas guns, I no longer wonder.
Having lived through those days as a consumer with cash to spend, a lot of it has to do with price.  Back in the 80s you could get a Colt's AR-15 for ~$450 or so and a Mini-14 for a bit less, it was hard to justify spending ~$800+ for the others.  I bought an HK-91 for about $800 in 1987 and sold it shortly after when I realized that the accessories were stupid expensive.  Magazines were ~$30-50 each, the freaking cleaning kit (which now sells for about $5 surplus) was $25 new.  Then you have the fact that other than HK, none of the other brands really advertised and were more boutique guns than anything.  We look at those prices today and shrug, but consider that in 1987, that $800 HK-91A2 would cost ~$1670 in current dollars, and a $30 magazine would be ~$63.

In the end, the selection was pretty exotic, and the stuff was available, but it became a simple issue of cost, lack of the manufacturers' advertising and educating the public, and the mindset that "those guns" were the purview of survivalists and wannabes.

If you can find it, in 1982 Guns and Ammo released a publication called "Assault Rifles: The New Breed of Sporting Arm".  I found a copy on eBay:

Guns and Ammo's Assult Rifles: The New Breed of Sporting Arm"
Great post!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well since this isn't happening, which version of the Aug should I be looking at? I want to get into the bullpup game. I'm fine buying aug mags, so no need for the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well since this isn't happening, which version of the Aug should I be looking at? I want to get into the bullpup game. I'm fine buying aug mags, so no need for the NATO stock.
View Quote
The M1 extended rail would be a great choice if you plan on using a non-steyr optic.

Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The M1 extended rail would be a great choice if you plan on using a non-steyr optic.

https://gunprime.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2017-03-22-13.40.02-1.jpg
View Quote
Looking for that exact gun (AUG M1 Extended in Mud), and having a lot of trouble finding it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Call Pete Athens. He can get you any combination of AUG you can imagine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Can someone post pics of the currently available options?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can someone post pics of the currently available options?
View Quote
Pics here (for current production): https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/steyr-aug-a3-m1.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, is that all of them? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I notice the extended rail above isn’t there. Is it discontinued? Any other recently discontinued models worth considering?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks, is that all of them? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I notice the extended rail above isn’t there. Is it discontinued? Any other recently discontinued models worth considering?
View Quote
Click on extended rail as an option and it'll show, if you find one without the rail you can always get one from PJ's or a Corvus from Steyr which also has more attachment points.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top