Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2020 8:36:07 PM EDT
I had a few hours free this afternoon so I got out and did some testing.  I don’t have any metering equipment so I can’t speak to numbers these are mainly observations about how the two rifles and three suppressors acted for me.

Suppressors and hosts.
   Home built AR10 in 338 federal 20” barrel, SLR adjustableGB with a Rex MG 10 338 and super sniper 6X42 scope.
    SIG SHR970 30.06 22” barrel and Steiner 3.5-10x50 Hunting Z scope.  I assume the barrel is 22” since the exposed part of the barrel measure 21”
       Tested my Vox S and Nomad 30 on it.
All suppressors were run in direct thread configuration on both rifles.
Weather conditions were wind<5mph most of the time, temp 90F and humidity about 45%.

Observations
    AR 10.  I had already done some work with the combo as it’s the only 338 I have right now.  Today was mainly for adjusting the gas block and accuracy testing.  The barrel profile is heavy and adding the suppressor deflected the POI some but not much.  I did have to dial the GB way back even then I noticed gas/smoke coming out of the mag well after each shot.  It wasn’t gassy to my face at any point though.  The rifle was quieter as I could here the spring more and subjectivity I thought I noticed more noise at the ejection port.  Still more pleasant to shoot,  I could dispense with the ear muffs and just use plugs.  Recoil was about the same....maybe a bit less.  I am building a 338-06 bolt rifle and am eager to see how it does on it.

SIG SHR970.  This was a real eye opener for me.  No gas adjustment obviously.  Both suppressors dramatically reduced the report.  My wife was inside the house and said it was noticeably louder without the suppressor...that was my feeling as well.  The report was much different as well.  I could not notice any real difference between the No ad and Vox...no surprise there.  Again I was able to get rid of the ear muffs and comfortably use just plugs.  One other big surprise was the HUGE POI shift for both suppressors.  Accuracy did not seeM to be affected any so The POI shift can be adjusted for.  The Vox had the most at almost 4” low and 3” to the right.  POI went back to normal with removal of each.  The other pleasant surprise was how much recoil was reduce with both suppressors.  It was quite noticeable unlike with the AR10.  I have several .30 rifles.  I have a Resonator R on order and will be interested to see how it does.  I may order another .30 suppressor as well.  
    I have been fully converted now to the use of suppressor on all my hunting rifle.  Too bad for me that some have too small a barrel profile to thread.  Not sure what I will do with them.

Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post and thank you for being a Vox shooter! Glad to hear the both the Nomad and Vox sounded good on the Sig. The Nomad is a fantastic silencer and definitely a good candidate for comparison. Also glad to hear that accuracy didn't change, only POI. POI is a tricky thing as the interaction between the can and the barrel yields POI shift (not only deflection but changes in harmonics). Like you mentioned, POI can be adjusted so long as it is consistent. What range were these tests? 100yds? Did you happen to do any on-off-on testing for repeatability? We usually mark the mount/barrel with a paint pen to make sure the can tightens back up to the same spot when evaluating any changes from removing then returning the can to the host.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a few hours free this afternoon so I got out and did some testing.  I don’t have any metering equipment so I can’t speak to numbers these are mainly observations about how the two rifles and three suppressors acted for me.

Suppressors and hosts.
   Home built AR10 in 338 federal 20” barrel, SLR adjustableGB with a Rex MG 10 338 and super sniper 6X42 scope.
    SIG SHR970 30.06 22” barrel and Steiner 3.5-10x50 Hunting Z scope.  I assume the barrel is 22” since the exposed part of the barrel measure 21”
       Tested my Vox S and Nomad 30 on it.
All suppressors were run in direct thread configuration on both rifles.
Weather conditions were wind<5mph most of the time, temp 90F and humidity about 45%.

Observations
    AR 10.  I had already done some work with the combo as it’s the only 338 I have right now.  Today was mainly for adjusting the gas block and accuracy testing.  The barrel profile is heavy and adding the suppressor deflected the POI some but not much.  I did have to dial the GB way back even then I noticed gas/smoke coming out of the mag well after each shot.  It wasn’t gassy to my face at any point though.  The rifle was quieter as I could here the spring more and subjectivity I thought I noticed more noise at the ejection port.  Still more pleasant to shoot,  I could dispense with the ear muffs and just use plugs.  Recoil was about the same....maybe a bit less.  I am building a 338-06 bolt rifle and am eager to see how it does on it.

SIG SHR970.  This was a real eye opener for me.  No gas adjustment obviously.  Both suppressors dramatically reduced the report.  My wife was inside the house and said it was noticeably louder without the suppressor...that was my feeling as well.  The report was much different as well.  I could not notice any real difference between the No ad and Vox...no surprise there.  Again I was able to get rid of the ear muffs and comfortably use just plugs.  One other big surprise was the HUGE POI shift for both suppressors.  Accuracy did not seeM to be affected any so The POI shift can be adjusted for.  The Vox had the most at almost 4” low and 3” to the right.  POI went back to normal with removal of each.  The other pleasant surprise was how much recoil was reduce with both suppressors.  It was quite noticeable unlike with the AR10.  I have several .30 rifles.  I have a Resonator R on order and will be interested to see how it does.  I may order another .30 suppressor as well.  
    I have been fully converted now to the use of suppressor on all my hunting rifle.  Too bad for me that some have too small a barrel profile to thread.  Not sure what I will do with them.

Thanks for reading.
View Quote

Suppressed is the only way I hunt these days, a big improvement from the old savage days of hunting loud.

There are ways to thread thinner barreled hunting rifles for suppressor use, indexing on the muzzle or threading on and turning a collar to act as the shoulder are options. Nick at Ecco Machine used the latter method on my Kimber Montana, Browning X-Bolt and Ruger 77/44:

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great post and thank you for being a Vox shooter! Glad to hear the both the Nomad and Vox sounded good on the Sig. The Nomad is a fantastic silencer and definitely a good candidate for comparison. Also glad to hear that accuracy didn't change, only POI. POI is a tricky thing as the interaction between the can and the barrel yields POI shift (not only deflection but changes in harmonics). Like you mentioned, POI can be adjusted so long as it is consistent. What range were these tests? 100yds? Did you happen to do any on-off-on testing for repeatability? We usually mark the mount/barrel with a paint pen to make sure the can tightens back up to the same spot when evaluating any changes from removing then returning the can to the host.
View Quote

I didn’t test it on and off on,  I had to get the grill going??.   All testing was done at 100 yards.  I need to get some new ammo.  I just had a hodgepodge of old reloads.  What kind of paint pen?  I had originally planned to leave the Nomad on my 300 BO and use the Vox on the hunting rifles.  I was impressed with both but I haven’t been using suppressors long enough to have much experience with them.  Only issue I had was not being able to take the end off and remove the wipe so I just shot it like it was.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Suppressed is the only way I hunt these days, a big improvement from the old savage days of hunting loud.

There are ways to thread thinner barreled hunting rifles for suppressor use, indexing on the muzzle or threading on and turning a collar to act as the shoulder are options. Nick at Ecco Machine used the latter method on my Kimber Montana, Browning X-Bolt and Ruger 77/44:
View Quote

It might be worth asking.  The SIG had to have a collar like that put on.   The rifles that I would like to do are my Steyr mountain rifles (30.06 and 6.5x55).  They have pretty thin barrels and don’t have much excess length to trim back to get to a thicker profile.  Which is a shame I really love the 6.5 X55....the .06 kicks like an Army mule though.  The recoil reduction of the suppressors was certainly an added bonus.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn’t test it on and off on,  I had to get the grill going??.   All testing was done at 100 yards.  I need to get some new ammo.  I just had a hodgepodge of old reloads.  What kind of paint pen?  I had originally planned to leave the Nomad on my 300 BO and use the Vox on the hunting rifles.  I was impressed with both but I haven’t been using suppressors long enough to have much experience with them.  Only issue I had was not being able to take the end off and remove the wipe so I just shot it like it was.
View Quote

I am glad you had your priorities straight and made sure the grill was going. Those that know me know I am a huge foodie

The paint pen is nothing special, not even sure where I got it. I think they sell sharpie paint pens at target or walmart. Pencil would be fine too. Just anything to give you an index mark to reference between the silencer and the barrel.

Had you taken the end off previously? If it was the first time off I may have been a bit overzealous or jacked up on caffeine when I snugged it. Put it in the Vox Blox we sent with the can and just give the provided wrench a little tap and it will loosen. We apply antiseize when we build then so I assure you it is just snug; not frozen. If you still have a problem please let me know.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Had you taken the end off previously? If it was the first time off I may have been a bit overzealous or jacked up on caffeine when I snugged it. Put it in the Vox Blox we sent with the can and just give the provided wrench a little tap and it will loosen. We apply antiseize when we build then so I assure you it is just snug; not frozen. If you still have a problem please let me know.
View Quote

I will give it another try.  I tried the Blox already but did not try tapping the wrench with anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top