Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2020 4:59:13 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

This morning was around -2 F here, by the time I was shooting it had warmed up to about 10 F.

I had left the rifles and ammo out all night so they were nice and cold.

They functioned fine on normal gas setting, didn't need to use adverse.

Tested a few ARs and they worked fine too.

Anyway CSB

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting looking without the foregrips. What made you choose to remove them?

Whats the cheekrest you have on the 16"?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You could definitely say that was a cold story bro
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting looking without the foregrips. What made you choose to remove them?

Whats the cheekrest you have on the 16"?
View Quote

I didn't use the grips they were just dead weight to me so I ditched them.

The cheek rest is something I made from a sheet of kydex, works pretty good, here is a better angle:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I didn't use the grips they were just dead weight to me so I ditched them.

The cheek rest is something I made from a sheet of kydex, works pretty good, here is a better angle:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19007/PXL_20201219_145337659_2_jpg-1739220.JPG
View Quote

Assuming that you're right handed from the ejection port, where do you place your left hand when firing?

I know that you probably don't place it over the gas port exhaust...  You'll only do that once...

Just curious...

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you suppress at least the shorter one?  What suppressor, and how well does it work?  I'm in the market for my first rifle suppressor, ideally would like one that plays nice with both my AR, AUG, and roller locks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m fairly new to the Aug platform but I find it more comfortable to use the trigger guard as an vfg.. I use a sort of C clamp with the thumb near the charging handle

Quoted:

Assuming that you're right handed from the ejection port, where do you place your left hand when firing?

I know that you probably don't place it over the gas port exhaust...  You'll only do that once...

Just curious...

Forrest
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to the Aug platform but I find it more comfortable to use the trigger guard as an vfg.. I use a sort of C clamp with the thumb near the charging handle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to the Aug platform but I find it more comfortable to use the trigger guard as an vfg.. I use a sort of C clamp with the thumb near the charging handle

Quoted:

Just curious...

Forrest

Yes, exactly what Frens said. It puts my thumb at the light tailswitch and gets my hands higher on the gun. Works great.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like you suppress at least the shorter one?  What suppressor, and how well does it work?  I'm in the market for my first rifle suppressor, ideally would like one that plays nice with both my AR, AUG, and roller locks.
View Quote

I have a Rex MG7 that will go on them when the transfer is done.

Both are 16" barrels, ignore the barrel extension, it is just a place holder until the proper muzzle device shows up.

I've shot suppressed AUGs and they suppress OK, not as good as an AR15 but way better than nothing. Steyr makes a gas plug for suppressor use which is supposed to help but no personal experience.

Weak answer, sorry. Maybe others can chime in.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I sand and dirt tested my old AUG.  Everyone freaked out after the InRange mud test where it failed miserably, but those seem to be outliers.  I saw another mud test on YouTube where some guys AUG ran fine after being mudded.

In my sand/dirt tests it was the only other gun along with my AR that didn't fail.  My Galil ACE had one FTF on dirt but it was weird.  It didn't actually jam, just didn't pick up a round but it was in battery.  My CZ Bren 2 MS 5.56 had one stovepipe and one FTF, both on sand.  Ran fine on dirt.

The AUG I ran on the standard gas mode.  The Bren 2 stovepiped on normal gas, then FTF on adverse.  The Galil doesn't have an adjustable piston so it was always on the standard gas setting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I sand and dirt tested my old AUG.  Everyone freaked out after the InRange mud test where it failed miserably, but those seem to be outliers.  I saw another mud test on YouTube where some guys AUG ran fine after being mudded.

In my sand/dirt tests it was the only other gun along with my AR that didn't fail.  My Galil ACE had one FTF on dirt but it was weird.  It didn't actually jam, just didn't pick up a round but it was in battery.  My CZ Bren 2 MS 5.56 had one stovepipe and one FTF, both on sand.  Ran fine on dirt.

The AUG I ran on the standard gas mode.  The Bren 2 stovepiped on normal gas, then FTF on adverse.  The Galil doesn't have an adjustable piston so it was always on the standard gas setting.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Another thing I learned from this that I forgot to mention is that in this weather the flash hiders picked up snow and ice like it was their job and if you didn't take the time to clear it, it threw the first shot off by quite a bit. You absolutely need some kind of muzzle cover in this weather if you want to hit anything with your first shot. I'm sure if an ice plug formed in the barrel it could easily cause a kB too. No matter how careful I was, keeping the muzzle totally clear was almost impossible.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually put down my fork and went and grabbed an AUG so I could follow this thread. How difficult was it to remove the folding grips from the barrels? I'm kinda interested now that I reread your post.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I actually put down my fork and went and grabbed an AUG so I could follow this thread. How difficult was it to remove the folding grips from the barrels? I'm kinda interested now that I reread your post.

Thanks.
View Quote

Oh it's very simple, a single pin holds the grip on, just drift it out with a punch.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Great Pic!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been considering permanently ditching the VFG as I rarely use it.

I really want to try something like this:  https://www.clawgear.com/en/AUG-M-LOK-Handguard-20108en1646/
Unfortunately it specifically says that it will not fit an A3.  

I keep wondering why not, and if it would be modifiable to fit, but so far I have been unwilling to drop $350ish on a flyer.

Manticore, I believe, also posted up a prototype handguard at one point, but nothing seems to have ever come of it.

If anybody is aware of a handguard that will work with an early Sabre A3, I am all ears.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been considering permanently ditching the VFG as I rarely use it.

I really want to try something like this:  https://www.clawgear.com/en/AUG-M-LOK-Handguard-20108en1646/
Unfortunately it specifically says that it will not fit an A3.  

I keep wondering why not, and if it would be modifiable to fit, but so far I have been unwilling to drop $350ish on a flyer.

Manticore, I believe, also posted up a prototype handguard at one point, but nothing seems to have ever come of it.

If anybody is aware of a handguard that will work with an early Sabre A3, I am all ears.
View Quote

The A3 optic rail extends further above the barrel and I am guessing would interfere.

You could easily modify the optic rail to clear that if you wanted to.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I could be very wrong but I was under the impression that generally issues with cold weather reliability with firearms usually stem from the lubricant used and how it acts at said temp or the weapon thermo cycling between hot and cold so condensation forms then freezes jaming stuff up rather than inherent design flaws for the most part. Augs look at home in the snow though
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I could be very wrong but I was under the impression that generally issues with cold weather reliability with firearms usually stem from the lubricant used and how it acts at said temp or the weapon thermo cycling between hot and cold so condensation forms then freezes jaming stuff up rather than inherent design flaws for the most part. Augs look at home in the snow though
View Quote

Yeah that or ammo problems.

Powder burn rates slow down at cold temperatures and change the pressure curve.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
iirc, rifle issues in cold weather are usually due to small parts failures...springs, pins, etc, that are not properly heat treated
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm actually more curious how the optics/batteries performed.  IE, did you have to turn up the intensity of the dot as compared to regular temps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm actually more curious how the optics/batteries performed.  IE, did you have to turn up the intensity of the dot as compared to regular temps.
View Quote

Alkaline batteries are a no go.

Lithium batteries work pretty well in temperatures where humans can survive.

Optics fogging up and freezing is a bigger concern than batteries in my experience.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Alkaline batteries are a no go.

Lithium batteries work pretty well in temperatures where humans can survive.

Optics fogging up and freezing is a bigger concern than batteries in my experience.

View Quote

Alkaline just suck in general because of their propensity to leak and destroy things via corrosion. Had to send a vcog back to trijicon once because of that. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
We would leave our our weapons in the entry way of our artic tents. When the weapons are going from below freezing to tent or room temp and back in and out it causes condensation to build up that turns to ice when back outside, This temperature swing is the cause of many failures. IIRC
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We would leave our our weapons in the entry way of our artic tents. When the weapons are going from below freezing to tent or room temp and back in and out it causes condensation to build up that turns to ice when back outside, This temperature swing is the cause of many failures. IIRC
View Quote

Yup avoid condensation is the trick there
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Had mine out at -20 without an issue.

As far as weapons in the cold a lot of problems I see stem from using lubricants that aren’t rated for the cold and gum up.

As another poster said springs like to break as well. Like dust cover springs on ARs; see a lot of those break in extreme cold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top