Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2019 12:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy]
I have an ACR in 5.56 with the .450 Bushmaster conversion and I like it  (despite my small list of issues with the gun).  I would like to get the 7.62x39 conversion but there is little info on the site and no photos on the product page (how people run a business like this, especially a manufacturer, can baffle the mind). Here is the other issue:

"total $720.00 without barrel, tuned with return shipping back to you." No barrel. OK, I may spring another few hundred for the barrel but I'm already over a grand and the barrel is probably going to cost more than that. Also, are they modifying my lower so that it takes AK mags or am I getting a new lower with the conversion? The early conversions appear to use the standard mag well and the AR-type 7.62x39 mags but other photos show a modified lower with AK mags (I think as those photos are not good). If they are modifying lowers, how much are those from Bushmaster and are they available?
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 2:46:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#1]
I’m a huge ACR fan, but the math on aftermarket caliber conversions (from anyone) has never made sense to me. Why spend that much money making it into something it’s not vs just buying a Bren 2 or something already in the caliber you want?!?
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they run into the problems as AR15 7.62x39 versions?  A weakened bolt prone to failure due to opening up the bolt face?

Colt solved it by using a 7.62x51 rifle as a basis.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
I’m a huge ACR fan, but the math on aftermarket caliber conversions (from anyone) has never made sense to me. Why spend that much money making it into something it’s not vs just buying a Bren 2 or something already in the caliber you want?!?
View Quote
Well, the ARX was designed from the ground for multiple calibers.  I know most of us want the vaporware 7.62x39 &/or .300 BO that Beretta promised but then never produced.  They should probably hop platforms.  They'd get a rather positive response if the product was well executed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Well, the ARX was designed from the ground for multiple calibers.  I know most of us want the vaporware 7.62x39 &/or .300 BO that Beretta promised but then never produced.  They should probably hop platforms.  They'd get a rather positive response if the product was well executed.
View Quote
Bren 2 is vaporware as much as any of this. I keep seeing people say bren 2 as the answer to a lot o things. It isn't. Because you can't just go buy one
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for factory caliber conversions that are readily available/reasonably priced. My issue is that aftermarket conversions cost so much, one may as well just buy another gun in the caliber you want. I’d much prefer 2 rifles over a rifle and barrel/bolt.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder how it would handle the UniMag?  And when a caliber conversion costs more than a complete AR, does it make much sense?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m the owner of Templar Precision.  If this post violates the community standards let me know and delete it.  I’m not trying to sell anything.

With all that good stuff being said, the reason I don’t have a functional website is mostly because everyone I try to get to work on it flakes out, plus the Acr is a side job so I have no time to learn coding.  Most of the info at this point is outdated on the site until someone steps up and repairs my page.
The email feature does work which is cool.

With all of that being said most of the price you run into is the cost of parts on the barrel, the barrel and barrel parts alone generally are about 400 from bushmaster, the barrel is another 150ish from faxon.

That’s not including the bolt that’s 65-80 from
Bushmaster

Lowers are another 300 to print plus the time to sand and finish them.  I’m working on getting the lowers done in bulk now to help with all of that info.

Again these are dealer prices before there’s any work done
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to ARFCOM.

Plain, simple HTML is really easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

If you want to do fancy stuff, that takes time.  To do very simple, text based layout w/ some pictures, it really is easy.  I've done two websites myself, and they render the same on any platform.

http://www.FeinsteinProject.org
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's talk about cost.

It's one thing to do it for yourself.
It's another thing to be willing to do it for someone else.
It's another thing to be willing to do it for someone else and test it to ensure it meets some basic quality standards.

I don't know TP and I've never bought anything from him/them, but these are niche parts from someone with obviously more passion about the ACR than its owner (Bushmaster) has shown cumulatively for a decade.

Expensive sure. Go ahead and slap together another Anderson AR15 to stuff into the safe with that same money.

Right now, one else is breathing life into the platform except him.

PS: For complaints about the website: welcome to 2019. Top quality and successful businesses can exists solely on social media (Instagram & Facebook) without any website whatsoever (ex: Marvin @ Nefarious Arms).
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
ive dealt with bigdog a few times for acr stuff and he's been nothing but great for the community.To be honest I didn't even know about templar precision before joining the acr forum/fb groups.Google searches are worthless because there's no traffic being directed to the website from google.Between fb and IG the website is really a non issue for me in this day and age(salient sold 3k dollar glocks for multiple years without even as much as a working website lol).If you really look at it just a scar barrel is over 1k dollars by it self and with this setup even after adding the x39 faxon barrel you're getting a complete x39 conversion with a lower for less.Stepping into something other than an AR and trying to change the caliber completely is generally not cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
I’m the owner of Templar Precision.  If this post violates the community standards let me know and delete it.  I’m not trying to sell anything.

With all that good stuff being said, the reason I don’t have a functional website is mostly because everyone I try to get to work on it flakes out, plus the Acr is a side job so I have no time to learn coding.  Most of the info at this point is outdated on the site until someone steps up and repairs my page.

With all of that being said most of the price you run into is the cost of parts on the barrel, the barrel and barrel parts alone generally are about 400 from bushmaster, the barrel is another 150ish from faxon.

Bushmaster

Lowers are another 300 to print plus the time to sand and finish them.  I’m working on getting the lowers done in bulk now to help with all of that info.

View Quote
Gotten some work done from Templar Precision and was super happy with it.  They cut a 6.8 SPC barrel down to 12.5" for me and had a pistol brace from Dan Haga Designs thrown on there too.  It is a great hog hunting rig
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patswin3] [#12]
Dana (Bigdog / Templar Prec) is a great guy to deal with and is about the only guy trying to bring us what the Masada was supposed to be. I’m hoping to get one of the x39 lowers and barrel from him eventually, gotta save some fun money first!
Yes you could just buy a wasr for your x39 needs, but where’s the fun in that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am another one of Dana / AKA bigdog / AKA Templar Precision's customers...

Nothing but positive things to say about his quality, level of communication, and commitment to the platform. He is essentially trying to do everything himself from design, to fabrication. to testing and munufacturing.

I know he wont release the conversion until its ready... from what I ahve seen from his posts and pics is that it will be a  lower that takes AK mags, along with barrel, BCG and other parts. He has posted several pics and videos of the prototype and he is very close to Being ready to release it.

not bad for a guy with a real day job and does this on the side
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: laxidasical] [#14]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:

Bushmaster

View Quote
I'm a 20+ year software engineer.  I've been building websites for the majority of that time.  I'm willing to barter a website for a 7.62x39 conversion kit.  The site will be built with WordPress (which will allow you to edit/manage the site yourself without knowing how to code).  PM me and we can go from there if you're interested...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top