Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2018 10:14:22 PM EDT
Final Product

Test

I ordered the collapsing side folder for the 203.  Have the PCB on there when I was checking if it would work or not.

So I have this 203:

So what if I bought a rail adapter and put a Sig folding stock on it:

Is there any reason it won't work?

Can the Sig folder mechanism withstand the 203 moderate recoil?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Who makes that stock adapter you have mounted on your M203?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It's unlikely you'll have any issues.

ETA: While uncomfortable, I've fired a short AR converted to a single-shot break open .50BMG equipped with one of those stocks. Not the best for heavy recoil, comfort-wise, but it didn't seem in danger of breaking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
looks like the regular LMT stock.

I like the idea of putting the sig folder on there. Only issue you may have (as was stated) is that the 203 is too wide to let the stock fold completely. Your other option is getting a totally new chassis from FAB/Mako

Let us know how it works out, Love the idea, I always hated that they use the AR15 stocks for those when a folder would be so much better.

Most of the time when I shoot a 203 on a rifle, I just tuck the stock under my armpit so I can line up the sights easier, so no way would I ever break one. Always managed to hit well that way too. But your style may vary
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Or just buy a standalone stock that folds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAB-Defense-FD-203-/263754099213
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The M203 FAB folder is actually really, really nice. I keep thinking of getting one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who makes that stock adapter you have mounted on your M203?
View Quote
That is the LMT Stand Alone unit.

Yea, the FAB one is probably the best dollar value on stand alone stocks for a standard M203, but I like the LMT one better.

I had been wondering about the width of the 203 being an issue with the folding stock, but looking at it I'm not sure if it will be.

Just figured I'd throw out the question before I spend the money on more stuff I don't need.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about a LAW folder?
View Quote
The LAW folder is a shoddy solution to a problem I don't have.  I don't need an AR15 buffer tube.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, the FAB one is probably the best dollar value on stand alone stocks for a standard M203, but I like the LMT one better.
View Quote
Forgive me for pointing out what seems obvious: You want a folding standalone stock (*that folds*) and the LMT doesn't do that
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Forgive me for pointing out what seems obvious: You want a folding standalone stock (*that folds*) and the LMT doesn't do that
View Quote
Well that's just me, fix it till it's broke.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the LMT standalone but I don't see why they didn't use the DD approach of just having two screws in the front instead of making you use a mounting bracket. Also, the stock kind of looks like an afterthough.

Can't help you with the SIG stock. If you contacted someone who owns one, they can probably measure the centerline to the part that would interfere for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the LMT standalone but I don't see why they didn't use the DD approach of just having two screws in the front instead of making you use a mounting bracket. Also, the stock kind of looks like an afterthough.

Can't help you with the SIG stock. If you contacted someone who owns one, they can probably measure the centerline to the part that would interfere for you.
View Quote
What I like best about the mounting bracket is that it is QD if you use a KAC mount.  In about a minute I can have the 203 off the stand alone stock and mounted on a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]
That's one thing about the FAB stock. You have to replace the back plate on the receiver with the one that comes with the stock.

I'm not sure if it will still work on a rifle with that in place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, I didn't know about the back plate deal with the FAB unit.  That would have been a major deal breaker for me.

I think LMT made this stand alone to be primarily used as a pistol.  I think their stock attachment was almost an afterthought.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Just eyeballing it today. It will be close after the FAB part is installed but I think it might still work. I'll swap it and see.

My form 1 is pending so this is still a new toy, but I'm set up to use it on a RIS, a RAS, or standalone.

I think after the newness wears off I won't be swapping it around a whole lot.

ETA- I just checked it and the M203 won't fit on an AR with the FAB part installed on the back
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Update, I did it and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious how sturdy it will be. I feel like the newer sig braces are a little more flexible than the larger old ones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
The brace is for proof of concept, it will be getting a proper folding stock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Folders are cool, but they make an already wide gun even wider. A slider for a rail mount 40mm would be epic.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Folders are cool, but they make an already wide gun even wider. A slider for a rail mount 40mm would be epic.
View Quote
M203 is about 2.4 inches wide, that is similar to the width of an AR15 from the left edge of the charging handle to the far edge of the forward assist.
Ribs on the barrel are 2.37 inches wide on mine.  It is the barrel latch that sticks out a bit farther.

So if the M203 is a "wide gun" so is the AR15.

Hell, some of the handguards I have are wider than a M203.  A KAC RAS with out rail panels is almost as wide as a M203.

Anyways.  Rant over.

I want to mount a quadrant sight with MRD on the left side of my M203.  Now THAT will make it a really wide gun.

Personally, I think length is harder to conceal than width.  So this is worthwhile to me.  Now it easily fits in a backpack or in a shelf.

I don't have one, so I can't test it, but I think the SIG sliding stock might work.  Something like that 7 inch barreled LMT rail mount with that could be a pretty interesting package.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
2.4" isn't too wide...but 4-5" might be. If it's folding the width of the stock and any gap between the 2 counts also. I just want a slider.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Then I would suggest using a standard M203 on an older style KAC stand alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top