Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2020 10:13:20 PM EDT
I’ve been eyeballing one for some time but haven’t pulled the trigger. What says the hive ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch models in 308/7.62x51 & 223/5.56. I really like them, they both use PMags and have threaded barrels. They are not going to be as accurate as custom precision rifles. But I believe they will be able to be keep 1 MOA or less at 100 yards which is all I am looking for. I have only done initial test firing at 25 yards and I was getting 1 hole groups with both (again, only 25 yards). I will be going out this Sunday to stretch them out to 200 yards and will give an update with pics!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch models in 308/7.62x51 & 223/5.56. I really like them, they both use PMags and have threaded barrels. They are not going to be as accurate as custom precision rifles. But I believe they will be able to be keep 1 MOA or less at 100 yards which is all I am looking for. I have only done initial test firing at 25 yards and I was getting 1 hole groups with both (again, only 25 yards). I will be going out this Sunday to stretch them out to 200 yards and will give an update with pics!
View Quote
Please post here and let me know the results.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had one for a couple years and really enjoy shooting it. Pmags work great, I bought a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 but mostly just shoot steel plates under 200 yards using the sights. Replace the rear sight with one of these($9):
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006010178
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
@snprpsg1 Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the delay in getting back here!!

I was able to get both of my Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch(223/556 & 308/7.62x51) bolt guns to the range. We set up at 100 yards. We fired Federal 69 SMK in the 223/556 bolt gun. We got 1/2 to 3/4 moa with this ammo.

I fired Federal 168 SMK in the 308/7.62x51 and got between 3/4 moa to 1 1/4 moa. I know the larger groups were me moving around and yanking the trigger

I have not adjusted the trigger from the factory but plan on doing so on the 308 to help with the groupings.

On the 223 rifle I have a NIKON M-Tactical 3x12x42 MOA with Vortex rings

On the 308 rifle I have a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 with Vortex rings

These are not single whole shooting weapons and not intended to be but for the money and set up, I find them to be very accurate and very good shooting rifles.

I did not take any pictures but after all this craziness is over. I will get back out and have pictures for a follow up to make for a better evaluation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  Sounds like they're great rifles, especially with the cost.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Only complaint I have with mine was the Pmag was falling out when shot, if it was full. Didn't do it with a Lancer, but it also didn't feel nearly as smooth working the action.

It's in an MDT chassis now so that's no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
How is the action on these?  I’m assuming omg it doesn’t have the gliding-on-bearings feel of say a Sako, but how sloppy is it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How is the action on these?  I'm assuming omg it doesn't have the gliding-on-bearings feel of say a Sako, but how sloppy is it?
View Quote

It's very close to the Savage bolt actions that I've shot. Controlled sloppiness. I have an MVP LR-T in 5.56.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is the action on these?  I’m assuming omg it doesn’t have the gliding-on-bearings feel of say a Sako, but how sloppy is it?
View Quote

with my MVP LR thunder ranch 308 it is fairly sloppy but not too bad. i think most of the slop is in the head to bolt and how it is 2 pieces. with this slop and having spiral fluting it doesn't give a smooth feeling when using the action but it isn't bad ether just not smooth.

im thinking if they made the head of the bolt and bolt one piece or did strait fluting it would make it feel better. also the bolt head seemed to be fairly ruff and needed a good amount of action cycling to get a good smooth surface.

over all im pretty happy with it and for what i got. only other option i would go would be a howa 1500 barreled action from brownells and a boyds stock. my weatherby vanguard/howa 1500 bolt is pretty smooth and good claims of accuracy. may just need some fitting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top