Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2018 9:14:30 AM EDT
So i'm mulling a dedicated 6.5 suppressor for a 6.5gr future build....most likely it will be a Tbac ultra 5 or 7.  I like the size/weight of these cans and i think either would be a great fit on a 6.5gr SBR.

In any case, mounting options for this can would be a taper mount or direct thread.  I'm aware that direct thread can be a bit of a pain with the suppressor loosening with fire, but there are options to secure it better (i.e. plumbers tape, rockset).  Since this will likely be a can dedicated to the host weapon i could go this route, but i want worry-free mounting.

How secure are the taper mounts?  does this style mount secure the suppressor enough for worry-free operation?  Note this rifle would be used for running drills from time to time, so i'd like to be able to shoot fairly rapid strings without worry of the can coming off with use.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I come primarily from the precision rifle world, and have moved to Area 419 mounts with have a taper on the adapter for all my stuff.  One thing I like is the fact those specific ones are left hand thread so I've never had a can want to come lose while shooting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the taper mount over direct thread any day.  With all mounting systems its still a good idea to occasionally check to make sure the suppressor is still tight.

I've never had mine loosen but checking occasionally is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tapers are very secure. Used since forever in lathe and mill tool holders.  The taper holds torque better than two flat mating surfaces and is more self cleaning, though you should always check and clean mating surfaces before torquing down. If you tighten a taper too much you might need a strap wrench to loosen it. The best part about a taper is longevity. There are no springs or engaging teeth/pawls to wear out or mis-align.

Unless you are going with a short can such as the Ultra 5 a reduced bore 6.5 can has virtually no advantage over a .30 cal and in a semi the .30 cal can theoretically should gave less gas blowback than a tighter 6.5 bored can.  And more versatility.  For an SBR the Energetic VOX will handle long strings of fire and higher temperature better than an all titanium can.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]
My GA taper mount has never been an issue. If I could convert my sakers to taper mount I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Direct thread has little to no appeal to me, taper is fast, easy and secure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for the info.  Nothing set in stone...it may end up being a 30cal can that i can use on my 300blk as well.  Sound performance isn't the end-all for me.  I just want something to take the edge off without ruining the balance of the gun (i.e., short and light).  I have an AAC 762-SDN6 but that's a long, heavy pig of a suppressor to hang onto the end of a light gun.

my experience thus far with non direct threads has been with ratcheting style attachments...surefire, aac, yhm.  They hold the secure but it seems like the taper mounts are becoming more popular.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My GA taper mount has never been an issue. If I could convert my sakers to taper mount I’d do it in a heartbeat.

View Quote
I thought I read that Q was going to do a Plan B for the Saker as well. That might be an option for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
My Griffin Sportsman taper mount cans have been 100% reliable, never loosening despite lots of shooting and time in the field.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My GA taper mount has never been an issue. If I could convert my sakers to taper mount I'd do it in a heartbeat.

View Quote
Look at the Area 419 Hellfire adapters.  I already swapped my Sakers out to this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Griffin Sportsman taper mount cans have been 100% reliable, never loosening despite lots of shooting and time in the field.
View Quote
Same. Griffin taper mounts are great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the info.  Nothing set in stone...it may end up being a 30cal can that i can use on my 300blk as well.  Sound performance isn't the end-all for me.  I just want something to take the edge off without ruining the balance of the gun (i.e., short and light).  I have an AAC 762-SDN6 but that's a long, heavy pig of a suppressor to hang onto the end of a light gun.

my experience thus far with non direct threads has been with ratcheting style attachments...surefire, aac, yhm.  They hold the secure but it seems like the taper mounts are becoming more popular.
View Quote
Consider the sico omega. I have two and they are great cans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top