Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 4:30:01 PM EDT
I’ve been a die hard Marlin guy with a few Winchester’s over the years. The Henry’s never appealed to me until today when I saw the Blued and Case hardened Big Boy Carbines in 357.

Anyone out there have a 38/357 Henry? How’s it handle and is it reliable. Some marlins are finicky.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the big boy steel carbine in .357, it's allot of fun.

I like the marlins with the gate feed over the tube magazine, but wanted to mix it up.

Seems like a quality product.  something different, I left it bone stock.

I have marlin levers in 44 mag, 35 rem, & 444.

Henry in .22 & .357

I was a hater until I got my hands on the .22 and it is fun (cheaper made than the big boy)
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy and ugly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a huge fan of Henry as a company and I love their Golden Boy rifle. Won't buy a Big Boy, though. The tube fed mags are just odd to me for those bigger rounds. If they slapped a loading gate in there like on Marlins? I'd buy a handful of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I avoided Henrys for years because I didn't think I would like the loading tube.  Then one day at my LGS I impulse bought a Big Boy Brass in .357 Mag.  I love it.  The loading tube is not the ordeal I thought it would be.  It is very well made.  Truthfully better than any Marlin or Winchester I have owned over the years.  I take that back.  My Miroku Winchester 1886 was just as nice.  The Henry shoots nice and is smooth and feeds reliably.

I did break a firing pin but an email to Henry had a new one on the way.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked at a few, seem well made, non-owner;

Heavy rifles - just my .02
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I like a loading tube.

The Rossi Model 92 has both a gate and a tube, so you can use whichever one suits you at the time.

Or you can load through the gate and unload through the tube to avoid having to run each round through the action.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like a loading tube.

The Rossi Model 92 has both a gate and a tube, so you can use whichever one suits you at the time.

Or you can load through the gate and unload through the tube to avoid having to run each round through the action.
View Quote
You know if you push in the loading gate, most guns will eject the next round in the tube.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know if you push in the loading gate, most guns will eject the next round in the tube.
View Quote
No, I didn't so I have not tried it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only the 454casull rossi has a loading tube.  The 454casull round is longer and, depending on the bullet shape, may not fit through the loading gate.  357/44/45 Rossi 92 cannot be loaded via the tube.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Heavy and ugly.
View Quote
This, I cannot understand their appeal at all.  Don't get me started on their annoying infomercials either.  FWIW the current Remlins seem to have their quality problems improved and if you look enough you can find legit Winchesters under a grand.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one.
Everyone who shoots it has a stupid smile on their face when done.

It won’t feed SWC bullets. JHP seem to feed a bit rough.

Any round or cone shaped bullets feed really smooth.

The tube feed may not be as cool as the gate but the price difference (approx $300 less the the Winchester new) buys a lot of bullets!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like a loading tube.

View Quote
And the Rossi round barrel only weighs 4.5 lbs instead of 7+
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Have the big boy with brass receiver in .44mag. Smoothest lever I ever had. Big loop lever on it now with the Henry custom wood set. Picked up a Henry .22 lever also. Tube loading anything other than .22 is a bit weird at first.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you were in va you could shoot mine. Think I paid 350 for it.

Brass 357/38
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The Henry trigger is very good and the lever works very smooth.
Recoil is, of course, nothing.
The weight was the only real downside to the one I shot.  A round, caliber appropriate barrel would likely cut down a lot of the weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top