Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 2:09:30 AM EDT
I recently traded a pistol off for a 1894 Winchester takedown in .32ws.  Serial number 143xxx dates it to 1897. Excellent bore, woods in good shape,  75% - 80% bluing left. 26" octagonal barrel, full length magazine tube.

That's what I know about this particular rifle. Would post pictures, but it still in the mail. That wondrous government institution that can loose money every fucking year & never have to worry about it h never worry about getting your packages to you on time or in even a timely fashion.  

I've never owned, shot, or even handled a winchester 94 (or any other lever gun for that matter). What are the little things to look for problem wise. Maintenance do's & don'ts?  How's the whole takedown thing work out? Anywhere a guy can find .32ws for less than $2 or more a round? I'm not even paying that much for 45-70, barely.

Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a .32 Special model 94.
It has a Lyman receiver peep sight.

It is a brush gun for woods hunting.

It was good, but not outstanding.
I like mine because it's a carbine, with higher energies than a .30-30 carbine.

Again, not outstanding. But handy and easy to carry.
And not a lot of recoil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No pics loading but sounds like a good project for a suppressor install. Cut it down to 16" . Still and tap for scope mounts. Maybe cerakote the whole thing.explore

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
A takedown model 94, octagon barrel from 1897, sounds a lot more than your normal model 94 deer gun.  I'd love to see pictures.

Are you sure about the 1897 manufacturer date?   My reference book "The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980"  lists the introduction of .32 Winchester Special  chambering  in model 94's as June 1902.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A 1949 .32 Winchester Special model 94. It has a Williams receiver peep sight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Biggest thing is don't short stroke it.  Work it with authority.  Short stroking can lead to disassembling the gun to un-jam it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A takedown model 94, octagon barrel from 1897, sounds a lot more than your normal model 94 deer gun.  I'd love to see pictures.

Are you sure about the 1897 manufacturer date?   My reference book "The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980"  lists the introduction of .32 Winchester Special  chambering  in model 94's as June 1902.
View Quote

I am sure of nothing. I looked up the serial number dates based on the previous owners pictures. Which I don't have now. New phone in the last week & I didn't download them right or something.  Mising a bunch of my pictures.  

I did not however see the caliber markings.  Could be that it is 30wcf (would not complain about this). Will definitely post pictures once it arrives. Hopefully then y'all old Winchester  / lever gun people can really educate me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No pics loading but sounds like a good project for a suppressor install. Cut it down to 16" . Still and tap for scope mounts. Maybe cerakote the whole thing.explore

View Quote

Don't do this.

Also, OP, if that age is correct, it should legally qualify as an antique, correct?  (Pre-1898).

I wanna see pictures
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't do this.

Also, OP, if that age is correct, it should legally qualify as an antique, correct?  (Pre-1898).

I wanna see pictures
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do this.

I wanna see pictures

Yeah, that's just some GD stupidity right there.  

Yup, antique.  Main reason i wanted it. Been snatching up all of them I can lately this'll be number 5 or 6 I think.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
First, Starline Brass makes new brass cases for .32 Winchester Special. It is $127 for 250 cases, but the item is currently back ordered. Can also be formed from .30-30 cases with the right die set. Reloading is an avenue to persue if factory loaded ammo isn’t available. Components are tight right now also.

Second, don’t do any modifications to an antique rifle. If it is in relatively good shape, leave it a shooter. If you want to refresh it, either do it gently by having the internals checked by a competent gunsmith, or go all out with a Turnbull (i.e.: expensive) restoration. If you do the second, it will end up a safe queen as that will cost many times over your original purchase price.

Just don’t understand the need to perform modern trendy modifications on firearms with antique or historical backgrounds. I think/hope the clown face thing was sarcasm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The book I was referring to is by Duncan Barnes, according to his model 94 chamber listing:  

32-40 and 38-55 were done in 1894, 25-35 Winchester and 30-30 Winchester August 1895, 32 Winchester special June 1902, 44 Magnum January 1967, 375 Winchester 1979.

The Takedown model was first introduced in February 1895.  A Sporting rifle in either full octagon, half octagon, or round would have a 26" barrel as standard, Extra length barrels up to 36" were furnished until1908.  Shorter barrels were also furnished.

The bottom line is that if you have an octagon barreled, take down model 94 in good shape you have a jewel.

ETA. You have to promise to add pictures once you get it, I'm checking back on this thread daily just to see pictures.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am sure of nothing. I looked up the serial number dates based on the previous owners pictures. Which I don't have now. New phone in the last week & I didn't download them right or something.  Mising a bunch of my pictures.  

I did not however see the caliber markings.  Could be that it is 30wcf (would not complain about this). Will definitely post pictures once it arrives. Hopefully then y'all old Winchester  / lever gun people can really educate me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.32-40?

ETA- pic of my .32WS
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Should hopefully be here Wednesday, I hope & crossing my fingers,  Then I'll definitely post pictures.  

In the last year or so my wife & I have become almost fudd gunners. Have come to having a deep love of of the old guns. Hell, we've only got three guns even designed after 1945. An Ar, Ak, & Scar 20s. Everything else is either an original or reproduction of the old stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please be joking

This could be a super rare collectible. If it really is that old even if it is 1902 it's an awesome old lever gun. And take-down to boot.

In for pics cant wait
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Couple of pictures as promised.  Only got to take a few quick pics on the way out the door for work.

The bore is really nice. It is in .32ws  & I read the dates wrong. 1898 not 1897. Will get more detailed pictures up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]
That's just beautiful!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's just beautiful!  
View Quote

Very!!!!

Looks to be 1902 manufacture.

Winchester manufacture dates.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting.  I was going off a list I was directed to, which has it as 1898. Honestly I'd be more happy with 1902. Would explain the. 32ws barrel.

http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchestermodel94.htm
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I was going off a list I was directed to, which has it as 1898. Honestly I'd be more happy with 1902. Would explain the. 32ws barrel.

View Quote

I believe 1898 is correct.

Here's some dates directly from Winchester - scroll down to 1894.

You can get a "Cody Letter" from the Winchester museum for $75.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice!!!! Mine per Winchester was built Jan 1899, so someones list is off or Winchester is wrong. Its 32ws. Its been in my family since brand new..... my great great Grandfather purchased it new.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Cleaned it up some today. Bore cleaned up right well. Definitely used, but has some shine left to it still. Unfortunately for me, my wife's laid claim. I still don't own a lever gun.

Pictures with some of its friends from the safe (range clean up day) & an unexpected guest. Just turned around,plopped down & watched me.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This is an excellent thread.

I do have one .32 Win Spl, but it is bagged up and not easy to get to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've a serious desire for a 1892 winchester now, and a 1886. But I already wanted an 1886 in 45-70.  Very very nearly bought one instead of the Sharps. But I haggle them down a few hundred on the Sharps, so it came home. Seriously nice.  

What safe is that? We've just about outgrown ours & we're wanting to bump it up to a forty or fifty  from the twenty-five we've got.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
The 1892 itch has been scratched.

Snagged a Rossi R92 in 44-40 yesterday with a set of dies, brass, & 600 ish primers. Then found a set RCBS dies for the 32 Winchester Special today & shop not 2 miles from home. Pre-covid crazy prices to boot. Found some Hornady .321 170gr ftx pills last week. Just need 30-30 brass now. Thought I'd a bunch somewhere,  but got rid of it I guess.

I didn't know that Rossi did color case hardening.  Only ever seen stainless or blued.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its definitely 1902 per Cody records...

The online look up sites are known to be off by several years. This is pretty well known in the Winchester collectors circle.

Beautiful gun
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I didn't know that Rossi did color case hardening.
View Quote

I have a Rossi 20" short rifle in .357 that's CCH. I think they do the 24" rifle too. Yours is the first round barrel that I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its definitely 1902 per Cody records...

The online look up sites are known to be off by several years. This is pretty well known in the Winchester collectors circle.

Beautiful gun
View Quote

Thank you. I'm still perfectly fine with it being 1902. Still gotta send off to the Cody museum too.

Trading for a bunch of 30-30 brass this weekend.  So hopefully I can get a load worked up & out to the range next weekend.  Just gotta drive 4 hours each way to get said brass. But in this ammo environment,  that seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
So much beauty in here.

Every time I see a takedown rifle apart, I want one even more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Got sidetracked down some other rabbit holes, but I did manage to get some ammo loaded up. Can't really find any good load data, but um using 165gr Hornaday FTX over a starting load of a 21gr charge of Accurate 5744 & standard CCI primers. Using necked up 30-30 brass. Would have much preferred IMR 4064 for powder as I've never used Accurate before, but beggars can't be choosers these days.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top