Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2020 11:06:27 PM EDT
Both my birthday, and Christmas, came and went, without me getting something for myself.

I have just about all the stuff I need, and just about all the stuff I want.

Then, I saw a Microtech OTF in the thread on The Mandalorian.

I remember years ago about a CA legal Benchmade (fuck be upon them) auto, and sure enough, <2” is still legal.

So, now it looks like Kershaw makes one (Launch 4), and so does Microtech (UTX-70CA).

The Microtech is quite a bit more expensive than the Kershaw ($222 vs. $80).

Any of you guys have these seemingly useless blades? Is the Microtech worth 3x the price?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Microtech and would say it is worth it. It is "the name" as far as I am concerned for otf knives. I do not have any experience with Kershaw other than when I was young and poor.

I'll add a story about the Microtech. I left it on my desk at work. I walk into my office and watch a guy open it against a metal filing cabinet. I was pissed but the tip did not chip.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Kershaw makes 3 models that are legal IIRC. I have 2 of them and I’ve been very happy for the price.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
there was a thread a while back on cheap auto OTF knives. I found out they dont care where they ship. just saying.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The UTX-70CA will be hard to find

I have a launch 10(the claw), it’s a fun little knife and worth the price

Microtech also makes the Exocet and Troodon Mini , DA autos are fun, I carry a troodon daily

Protec makes some really great and snappy autos and a bunch of CA legal
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a launch 4 for shits n giggles.  It's an auto box opener.

It seems to be well built and it's fun to fiddle with.  The action is very positive/strong.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
USA made kershaw knives are good to go. Not so much the Chinese versions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't ProTech make a CA legal auto as well?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Found a local dealer who stocks the Kershaw and Protech lines.

Initial impressions:

These things are tiny... I can barely get a firm grip on either the Launch 4, or the Sprint.

The Protech Half-Breed combines the tiny blade with a full size grip. It’s comfortable, but it looks ridiculous.

Both lines seem well made and sturdy. I’d give the edge to the Kershaw line, since their prices are more affordable.

There are no Microtech dealers nearby, so I can only look at pictures. Does anyone else think that the Exocet is about as useful as a sharpened spoon?

I’m really digging the double edge blade profile of the other Microtech blades.

Damn, I need to emigrate to America.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Launch 12CA has a larger handle length compared to the blade.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
So, I went and did it:

Attachment Attached File

It looks a little sad in probably the same box that fits it’s bigger brothers.

Attachment Attached File

He’s definitely the runt of the litter. Next to a USB drive.

Attachment Attached File

And next to my EDC

Attachment Attached File

Every bit of it feels quality. Fit and finish are excellent. The OTF function means that I can keep a tighter grip on this thing when opening. For the Launch 4, I can only use a fingertip grip and it seems less secure.

I still want a full size Ultratech, or maybe a Dirac Delta, but for now, this seems like a great little knife.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the kershaw stiletto.  I love it.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top