Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 4:07:32 PM EDT
I'm about to start building a NV platform and am seriously looking at the Team Wendy EXFIL LTP bump.  I know there are several solid options out there, but is there a reason to not buy the TW offering?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Politics aside, there are a few reasons.

1) Everything is made for the Ops-Core ARC rails, not the TW M-LOK. In order to use these accessories, you have to get adapters which can be a pain and expensive.

2) The TW BOA system is not as stable as the Ops-Core Fit-band suspension. While some users find the TW more comfortable, there is basically no lateral stability in the suspension as it's just a wire wrapped in padding. If you helmet mount a communications headset, this helps a lot with the stability of the TW (as well as the Ops-Core).

3) Adjusting the BOA on the fly can be a bit annoying. If you want to crank it down, you can do so easily but if you want to loosen it, you have to pop the dial out and basically retension the whole thing down again. The Ops-Core Occ-dial lets you tighten or loosen it much more easily.

That said, it's a fine bump helmet and it has a molded-in metal shroud compared to the molded-in plastic shroud of the equivalent Ops-Core bump.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
this is solid info. thanks sir
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Politics aside, there are a few reasons.

1) Everything is made for the Ops-Core ARC rails, not the TW M-LOK. In order to use these accessories, you have to get adapters which can be a pain and expensive.

2) The TW BOA system is not as stable as the Ops-Core Fit-band suspension. While some users find the TW more comfortable, there is basically no lateral stability in the suspension as it's just a wire wrapped in padding. If you helmet mount a communications headset, this helps a lot with the stability of the TW (as well as the Ops-Core).

3) Adjusting the BOA on the fly can be a bit annoying. If you want to crank it down, you can do so easily but if you want to loosen it, you have to pop the dial out and basically retension the whole thing down again. The Ops-Core Occ-dial lets you tighten or loosen it much more easily.

That said, it's a fine bump helmet and it has a molded-in metal shroud compared to the molded-in plastic shroud of the equivalent Ops-Core bump.
View Quote

is the plastic shroud a point of failure?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, their Hillary Clinton support having her on their factory stage with the TW President saying Hillary would be the best US President we would ever have along with letting her use their stage to promote another AWB!  We pulled that plug along with a despicable email of insult from their helmet CEO at that time.
View Quote

I believe the company has been sold since then.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I believe the company has been sold since then.
View Quote

i read that as well
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go the Opscore route, factor in the cost of a set of 4D pads, they’re basically required.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, their Hillary Clinton support having her on their factory stage with the TW President saying Hillary would be the best US President we would ever have along with letting her use their stage to promote another AWB!  We pulled that plug along with a despicable email of insult from their helmet CEO at that time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to start building a NV platform and am seriously looking at the Team Wendy EXFIL LTP bump.  I know there are several solid options out there, but is there a reason to not buy the TW offering?

Any word on the politics of the new owners?

I had to return an OpsCore helmet to you guys and get a TW because of my giant stupid head

The TW (two of them now, one bump and one ballistic) are fortunately EXTREMELY comfortable. Hope it doesn't hurt your feelings that my DTNVGs are going on them once they're built
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

is the plastic shroud a point of failure?
View Quote

It's a lazy piece of shit on Ops-Cores part.  I have used the Maritime and currently have a Carbon for work.

I used an old non carbon FAST bump for amphib, HALO/HAHO, recce patrols, etc.  It sucks as a NODs host.  Flexes with NODs on and good luck if the molded-in shroud decides to take a shit on you.

Better options out there.

And also know everyone who makes gear donates to the Dems.  Lol at the guys who won't buy a TW but still rock SF and every other brand that makes questionable donations.  I guess doing shit in secret is better than posting about it on FB.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This was the big one for me. Both right out of the box, the OC helmets aren't as comfy but they just stay put. Put Peltors on the rails and it's beautiful. With upgraded pads, OC was much better for me. Lux Liner is better, but it's not 4D.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
TW rail systems really suck compared to the OC, & the SF series suspension is better than anything else I have tried.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had to return an OpsCore helmet to you guys and get a TW because of my giant stupid head

The TW (two of them now, one bump and one ballistic) are fortunately EXTREMELY comfortable. Hope it doesn't hurt your feelings that my DTNVGs are going on them once they're built
View Quote

Is the padding and suspension identical on these two, Bump & Ballistic ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully somebody else can answer, I never paid attention to whether they're the same or not and they're both back home. Sorry
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a giant melon, so I had to go with TW.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you go the Opscore route, factor in the cost of a set of 4D pads, they’re basically required.
View Quote

I mean it's 90 bucks. When you're buying a $1000 to $1500 ballistic helmet to mount $3000 NV/thermals on, is $90 for comfortable pads really the thing that breaks the budget?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I mean it's 90 bucks. When you're buying a $1000 to $1500 ballistic helmet to mount $3000 NV/thermals on, is $90 for comfortable pads really the thing that breaks the budget?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We’re talking bump helmets here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops. I'm 'tarded, somehow my brain skipped the "LTP" in the topic.

Still, this is the "night vision" forum. Most night vision worth its salt is going to cost as much as outfitting most of a platoon with pads. If you're outfitting yourself with that kind of kit, pads to make using it comfortable for long stretches seems a drop in the bucket. IMO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Still, this is the "night vision" forum. Most night vision worth its salt is going to cost as much as outfitting most of a platoon with pads. If you're outfitting yourself with that kind of kit, pads to make using it comfortable for long stretches seems a drop in the bucket. IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, NV isn’t cheap, but we’re talking the difference between adding 7-10% to the cost of a ballistic helmet or 33% to the cost of a bump helmet. It’s all relative.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#21]
so full disclosure, I got my nods and helmet in 2014 which is referred to as pre-hillary.

At the time the TW LTP was the go to for entry level bumps. it was priced really close to the ops core but has a molded wilcox shroud and is comfortable with the factory pads, it is certainly a solid helmet. the rails leave a little to be desired but you can still mount ear pro on them as well as pic rails.

its a shame the made so many political statements and lost tons of business over it, rightfully so.

the hill dawg stuff in 2016 REALLY screwed them. you should have seen the posts on their public facebook page and the shaming they received.

now days ops core is pretty much the best game in town, i'm not a fan of the molded plastic shroud so if I was doing it again I would have to buy the carbon. It just does not sit right with me hanging 4-10k worth of nods in a plastic mount.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so full disclosure, I got my nods and helmet in 2014 which is referred to as pre-hillary.

At the time the TW LTP was the go to for entry level bumps. it was priced really close to the ops core but has a molded wilcox shroud and is comfortable with the factory pads, it is certainly a solid helmet. the rails leave a little to be desired but you can still mount ear pro on them as well as pic rails.

its a shame the made so many political statements and lost tons of business over it, rightfully so.

the hill dawg stuff in 2016 REALLY screwed them. you should have seen the posts on their public facebook page and the shaming they received.

now days ops core is pretty much the best game in town, i'm not a fan of the molded plastic shroud so if I was doing it again I would have to buy the carbon. It just does not sit right with me hanging 4-10k worth of nods in a plastic mount.

The carbon is out of reach for me, and as you said hanging NODS off a plastic shroud does make me a little nervous. Other than 1 other poster in this thread busting on  OC helmets, it seems like plastic shroud or not, it is the way to go.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the OC has some better features but the TW is a comfortable helmet.
Granted if its sitting in your closet all rigged up neither of it matters, but if you wear it for more than 4 hours TW is the best choice for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I had the Team Wendy EXFIL LTP bump helmet several years back and I was seriously considering their carbon helmet at the moment, but reading through this thread solidified things for me. I just placed an order for the Ops Core FAST SF Super High Cut Carbon Composite helmet in TAN 499 with the OCC Dial system. Code GARANDTHUMB knocked $188.60 off the price and out the door it was $754.40 with free ground shipping. Granted, there's a lead/build time, but I'll also be waiting on my TNV/PVS-14 to be built when I order from TNVC next week (lookin' at you @TNVC @TNVC_Will ). Appreciate all the perspectives shared, it really helps in decision-making.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#27]
The plastic molded in shroud of the OpsCore bump is reason enough to go with the LTP. Definitely get the 4D Tactical pads. The retro fit kit by themselves are more stable than the GI pads, H nape and ComTacs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I have both. I really don’t like the plastic shroud on the OC. It flexes a LOT. I’d probably pony up for the carbon OC just to get a decent shroud.

Other than that? Either will need a set of 4D pads. My 1st TW was purchased pre Hillary. My 2nd was purchased 2nd hand. I’d do a lot of research before I bought another TW new. I’d look at the other brands first, unless you can get an EE deal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You're gonna love it. That is the baddest bump helmet available
View Quote

Rad! Good to know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had the Team Wendy EXFIL LTP bump helmet several years back and I was seriously considering their carbon helmet at the moment, but reading through this thread solidified things for me. I just placed an order for the Ops Core FAST SF Super High Cut Carbon Composite helmet in TAN 499 with the OCC Dial system. Code GARANDTHUMB knocked $188.60 off the price and out the door it was $754.40 with free ground shipping. Granted, there's a lead/build time, but I'll also be waiting on my TNV/PVS-14 to be built when I order from TNVC next week (lookin' at you @TNVC @TNVC_Will ). Appreciate all the perspectives shared, it really helps in decision-making.
View Quote

I'll second that sentiment!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I actually think TW rails are superior than arc the problem is arc are the standard in the industry so accessories are easier to find/cheaper and less adapters needed generally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I got a OC bump and I really like it with how I got mine set its comfy with the stock pads.

I'm running just a PVS-14 via a Wilcox G24 mount. I did throw some electrical tape in my shroud to tighten up the fit and thats all I've done. Yeah its just molded plastic but I dont really see it breaking if you use the break away feature on the mount.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks to all who posted. Great info shared by many.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#37]
What about these guys:

Hard Head Veterans
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What about these guys:

Hard Head Veterans
View Quote

I have one of their ballistic helmets and I think it’s awesome.  They also have an XL size for those with a huge melon as several on this thread have commented.  The rails accept MLOK accessories.  I have a buddy that has the HHV Bump helmet and he’s really happy with it as well.  

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top