Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2018 12:39:38 AM EDT
So I decided to order a OD X95 5.56, now I also purchased  recently a LH Black SAR Tavor. The x95 is right hand, I think I can use my SAR's LH bolt or whole carrier group in the x95 ...right? I'm not worrying about moving the charging handle over on the x95, just the ejection port swap correct? Would that work?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
To my understanding that is correct but IWI will always want to verify the headspace on any different bolt/barrel.   Only other difference is the late production SAR and X95 bolts use two ejectors whereas the previous bolts only had one ejector.  To my knowlege this does not affect commonality just something to be aware of.   If you know someeone  with head space gauges it wouldn’t hurt to check both bolts in both rifles.   You can rent head space gauges online.

I have no affiliation with this company but their prices are reasonable.

https://4drentals.com/product/5-56x45-nato/
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
So there could be a headspace issue on new unfired Tavors just by swapping bolts? I could see that being possible if one of the guns was well used and trying to install a new bolt part. Wow, hoping their production tolerances would be better than that. But anyways I do some more research on it. Thanks for you input!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the civilian barrels/bolts are different for the Tavor and X95. Call IWI customer service, ask for Collin. He’s super scary knowledgeable on both platforms. I have an early X95 with the “single pin” ejector and my new SBR barrel came with the newer bolt “2 pin” ejector.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
There should be no problem with headspacing either bolt to either barrel.  IWI policy is not to sell a bolt without checking the headspace because of liability concerns.   There could be a tolerance stacking issue so for liability reasons they always want to check each bolt to each barrel with go, no go gauges.    You could fire one round with each bolt in one barrel and compare measurements of the brass.    Then you could try both bolts with one round in the other barrel then compare all four pieces of brass.    Another option is to measure both bolts to verify they are the same dimension especially in the breach face depth, length and size of lugs.   With an AR-15 there is a standard for firing pin protrusion which can be affected by the length of the firing pin in relation to the length of the bolt.   I’d also measure each firing pin in your Tavors and as long as all measurements are within normal tolerance range you should be gtg.    Most manufacturers will not disclose their acceptable tolerance.   I measured all my AR-15 bolts and firing pins and was surprised how much variation there was.   As long as I didn’t mix parts all FP and bolts were within the acceptable range for firing pin protrusion.   The minimum firing pin protrusion is .028” and maximum is .036” for an AR-15.    Brownell’s sells a firing pin protrusion gauge.

In essense you have .008” of tolerance between the lengths of bolts and firing pins with an AR-15.   I would assume there is a similar situation in the Tavor but seeing how I only have one Tavor I have no way of checking.

Really boils down to what you decide to do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
So Darn, maybe someone can offer me some help on this. My right handed X95 just came in today, I switched the ejection port over to the left side (kept the charging handle on the left). Then pulled the bolt, bolt carrier, piston group out of my Left handed SAR slid it in and will not go in to battery. Stays about 1" from closing.  I was hoping I could just keep the new right hand x-95 bolt, bolt carrier, piston group together and just sit it aside, so I can just move the complete Left handed assembly from the SAR back and fourth to either rifle. I keep looking at both assemblies and they are the same. Only difference I see is the bolt itself. RH X95 bolt has 2 ejectors and LH SAR bolt has 1. Bolt carriers, piston system, recoil system all look exactly the same.

Now when I put the RH X95 assembly back in the x95 slides right in, no problem. Slide the LH SAR assembly back in the SAR no problem. But the LH SAR assembly will not work in the x95 and the X95 RH assembly will not work in the LH factory SAR either. But they (carrier group) both look exactly the same. what is it I'm over looking?

I have not tried just swapping the bolts only but I did not think I needed to. Did not want to keep changing bolts back in fourth to each others carrier assemblies (even if that would work) that seems to the exact same thing.

let me know if you have an idea...  thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, so figured it out... sorry for premature freak out post :-)

Because the SAR was setup as a lefty the charging handle pin on the carrier assembly needed to be swapped over. This is also why the RH X95 set would not fit the SAR either. I did not have a barrel wrench to remove the barrel and flip that little plastic piece so the charging handle will work on the other side. Why they just don't put two holes in that piece beats me....

Anyways as long as I have two rifles with a right hand and left hand charging handles I will need to pop the charging handle pin on the carrier over when swapping the assembly. Or get a barrel wrench and remove the barrel  to get both rifles with the charging on the same side. Then move the lefty assembly with no fuss to either gun. Defiantly a different animal from the AR's I'm used to.

UPDATE:  just left the little charging rod blocking pin out so now it will go in either gun no matter what Side the handle is on. Tada....
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a x95 (its not here yet) and I am a left handed shooter. I was thinking about seeing if I could get away with just shooting right handed. My wife is right handed and other people I shoot with are often right handed and if I swapped it over to left handed she/they would not be able to shoot the x95 comfortably.

I guess my question is. Do you think a person could get this Tavor® X95 5.56 NATO 16.5? Barrel & Bolt Kit and keep the right handed bolt & barrel. Then when you are in the field / range just pull the bolt / barrel. Swap over the charging handle & port and put the correct bolt barrel in for desired left or right? Could that be easily done in the field with out any problem or very few tools?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a x95 (its not here yet) and I am a left handed shooter. I was thinking about seeing if I could get away with just shooting right handed. My wife is right handed and other people I shoot with are often right handed and if I swapped it over to left handed she/they would not be able to shoot the x95 comfortably.

I guess my question is. Do you think a person could get this Tavor® X95 5.56 NATO 16.5? Barrel & Bolt Kit and keep the right handed bolt & barrel. Then when you are in the field / range just pull the bolt / barrel. Swap over the charging handle & port and put the correct bolt barrel in for desired left or right? Could that be easily done in the field with out any problem or very few tools?
View Quote
From everything I found out I don't believe you would need to the barrel in that kit. I mean its all good and piece of mind having the bolt and barrel but its not needed unless you want to have different barrel lengths to choose from. You just need a LH bolt, so you got a RH Tavor coming in. I would just source the a lefty bolt and be done if its just for one Tavor (but that's me). The change over to RH to LH back and fourth in the field would be a little much I would think. You can but it would be easy to lose small parts. Tavors are not like the ARX 100 with the push of a button. Wish they were :-). Since I already had a Factory Lefty and bought a new righty Tavor, I can easy move complete assemblies from one to another rifle host. If I want a righty setup all I need to do is swap over the ejection port. Leaving the charging handles in place and no bolt swapping needed. I would watch some YouTube video of guys doing the conversion and then make some decisions on how you want to work for you.

I think after speaking with some regarding sending the gun in for the head spacing check is a bunch of dodo.

And if anyone does have a LH bolt out there PM me, I would still be interested in another one too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top