Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2019 1:06:07 AM EDT
Hi everyone, I'm about to take the plunge into owning a Tavor. What model, I'm still not sure. I am leaning (as of right now) towards the SAR. I have loved and wanted one since they come out and could never afford one. I think I may now be able to.

My questions -

Why should I go SAR over x95?

Do you think support for the SAR will go away now that the x95 is on the market?

What is the big difference between the two? (Besides the rail fore end on the x95 and updated trigger)

Have you owned both? If so, what and why do you prefer one over the other?

If you have not owned both but have held both, what one do you prefer and why?

I'm sure as this threads goes I will have more questions. The only thing drawing me to the x95 is the looks of it and the rail fore end. I'm not sure I want to spend around $1800.00 for an x95.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've lived with the SAR for several years now and love it.  I had to buy a new charging rod and barrel lock a short while back due to mistakes I made when swapping to and from 9mm, so parts are readily available.  I chose it over the X95 because when I bought it the X95's were experiencing flyers when shooting groups and the SAR's didn't seem to suffer from that.  I know mine certainly has not and it shoots very close to my better AR's with the same ammo.

Overall, I absolutely love the gun.  I run 9mm so I can shoot steel competition and this thing gets on target FAST.  The heavy trigger hasn't slowed it down, either, and while it is indeed a little heavy, it feels good and doesn't seem to hamper accuracy.

The main differences with the X95 are the mag release, the location of the charging handle, and I think the bolt release.

I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy with the X95, but I have been thrilled with the SAR, so if I had to do it again, I'd easily go SAR.  Someone else will have to speak for the X95.  I've never heard of anyone with one who said they didn't like it, though.

My setup, btw, includes a Trijicon MRO on a high mount and a TLR-1 HO light on the rail with a pressure switch on the hand guard.

Another funny observation...the recoil feels exactly the same to me for 5.56 and 9mm.  That is to say both are very soft and controllable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've lived with the SAR for several years now and love it.  I had to buy a new charging rod and barrel lock a short while back due to mistakes I made when swapping to and from 9mm, so parts are readily available.  I chose it over the X95 because when I bought it the X95's were experiencing flyers when shooting groups and the SAR's didn't seem to suffer from that.  I know mine certainly has not and it shoots very close to my better AR's with the same ammo.

Overall, I absolutely love the gun.  I run 9mm so I can shoot steel competition and this thing gets on target FAST.  The heavy trigger hasn't slowed it down, either, and while it is indeed a little heavy, it feels good and doesn't seem to hamper accuracy.

The main differences with the X95 are the mag release, the location of the charging handle, and I think the bolt release.

I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy with the X95, but I have been thrilled with the SAR, so if I had to do it again, I'd easily go SAR.  Someone else will have to speak for the X95.  I've never heard of anyone with one who said they didn't like it, though.

My setup, btw, includes a Trijicon MRO on a high mount and a TLR-1 HO light on the rail with a pressure switch on the hand guard.

Another funny observation...the recoil feels exactly the same to me for 5.56 and 9mm.  That is to say both are very soft and controllable.
View Quote
I think most everyone that I've talked to so far, prefer the SAR more so because if accuracy. I wonder what they changed that might have changed or affected the accuracy of the rifle?

I would like to get the 9mm conversion kit. I shoot 9mm a lot and that would be great to have.

When you say heavy it's like a bad heavy or a heavy that balances it out?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The magazine release on the SAR seems to be the biggest issue with some shooters.
I have large hands and can release it by kicking my thumb back, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ergonomics of the x95 are much more natural.
X95 trigger is leaps and bounds better than the SAR trigger
X95 is easier to do a vertical forward grip and swap the shooting hand grip with a trigger guard grip.
X95 suppresses better

Don’t spend $1800 on either. Watch gunbroker and buy one used. Most guys that own them barely shoot them. I paid $1100 for my x95 and have seen several SARs go for under $1,000.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an SAR and really liked it. Some say the trigger is not good but I had no problem with it and it was fun to shoot. Very solid guns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had an SAR and really liked it. Some say the trigger is not good but I had no problem with it and it was fun to shoot. Very solid guns.
View Quote
I typically like a heavy trigger. I tend to shoot guns that have a heavier trigger better. Not sure why that is.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a SAR and an X95 and prefer the SAR.  The SAR can use the bipod attachment on the grip for prone and shooting off a table.  The trigger is a 10 second upgrade so don’t ley that sway you.  You can get an X95 trigger that drops in and cuts the pull weight by 3-4 pounds instantly.   The SARs are getting harder to find so don’t delay.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a SAR and an X95 and prefer the SAR.  The SAR can use the bipod attachment on the grip for prone and shooting off a table.  The trigger is a 10 second upgrade so don’t ley that sway you.  You can get an X95 trigger that drops in and cuts the pull weight by 3-4 pounds instantly.   The SARs are getting harder to find so don’t delay.
View Quote
Thank you. I didn't know the bipod couldn't be used on the x95. That is interesting.

Do you run the stock hand guard?

I guess I should ask that question as a whole too. How much weight does an aftermarket handguard add to the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi everyone, I'm about to take the plunge into owning a Tavor. What model, I'm still not sure. I am leaning (as of right now) towards the SAR. I have loved and wanted one since they come out and could never afford one. I think I may now be able to.

My questions -

Do you think support for the SAR will go away now that the x95 is on the market?

What is the big difference between the two? (Besides the rail fore end on the x95 and updated trigger)

I'm sure as this threads goes I will have more questions. The only thing drawing me to the x95 is the looks of it and the rail fore end. I'm not sure I want to spend around $1800.00 for an x95.

Thanks everyone.
View Quote
x95 16" 5.56 FDE & black show up on there all the time for $1450
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=x95&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=2&Condition=1

I got mine x95 for $1450. I really REALLY like it. I dont like buying older models of guns. have never used the SAR.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My questions -

Very much a matter of personal preference. The x95's ergonomics are closer to the AR15, so if you have extensive experience with those, the x95 is probably a better choice. I actually prefer the SAR mag release, but that's just me.

No. IWI has a lot of support for their guns, including the SAR on their site: https://iwi.us/product-category/tavor-sar/sar-spare-parts/

Mag release and the amount of available picatinny for accessories.

I've owned an SAR for about 3 years and shot it consistently for a year at our local rifle match. Haven't owned a x95 as it didn't interest me that much.

There is always the used market. I got a deal on my SAR IDF model off gunbroker. It came with LH and RH bolts and was ~$600 off retail. Story I got from the shop selling ti was that the previous owner bought it, had it converted to LH, took it to the range, and returned it to trade for an AR15 the same day. There are deals out there, but it takes some work to find them.

Thanks everyone.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for answering my questions. Thank you to everyone who has answered them.

I think I am going to go with a SAR. I found one in my price range and I am going to go ahead and get it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Either one is a good rifle. There's a lot to be said for a rifle that's simpler than an AK and has great ergonomics.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Why should I go SAR over x95? I advise shouldering and, if possible, shooting both. I owned both and I sold the X95 pretty shortly after buying it. IMO, the 95 feels significantly smaller, despite the actual dimensional differences being very minimal. I prefer the slightly beefier SAR because it feels better to me and I like the control placement.

Do you think support for the SAR will go away now that the x95 is on the market? If it does, I suspect the impact will be minimal. The guts of the rifles are identical from what I recall.

What is the big difference between the two? (Besides the rail fore end on the x95 and updated trigger) Outside of what you mentioned, the location of the controls. As mentioned earlier, I also think the x95 feels significantly smaller than the SAR.

Have you owned both? If so, what and why do you prefer one over the other? See first answer. It's purely subjective preference for me. I didn't look into objective data. There was a slight accuracy advantage in favor of the SAR, but not enough to matter to me.

Of course, there are some quirks with the SAR. Mainly, if you're going to mount a light or any other accessories, it's not as simple as with an AR. My light is mounted on the 2:00 rail in an offset mount, so it sits about 12:30. Unless you've got absolutely monsterous hands, you also need a tapeswitch. I struggled to find a comfortable spot for the switch and ended up epoxying it on the handguard in a spot where i can work it with either hand.

The other thing is that the optics rail is just slightly lower than the standard AR rail. Optics with a lower 1/3 co-witness work perfectly with the factory BUIS. Optics with an absolute co-witness on an AR can be used, but I really need to cram my cheek down.

The aftermarket has solutions to both issues, I've just worked around the issues.

Some folks say they have trouble with the mag release. I haven't had these issues after 2 carbine classes and approximately 4k rounds. It's easy to see how it could happen, but it hasn't happened to me or anybody else that has fired my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for the replies and answers. I bought a used Tavor SAR today. Its the one that had me looking at bullpups back years ago when it was released and I really didn't feel that there was a big enough advantage to go with the x95. My Kel-Tec RDB mag release is in the same position so muscle memory will kick in for the SAR. I still want an x95 at some point but right now, I went with what I could afford and what I thought was the better choice. I'm excited! I have wanted a Tavor since they came out but could never afford the price tag on them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#17]
OD green? I really like that rifle. Looks great. What sling are you using?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I went X95.  I am a bullpup fan since I got my PS90 and I am having IWI convert my X95 to LH operation now.
I like the X95 mag release AR style operation and I like the fact I can convert it to 300 BO later.
Short, light, handy.....easy shooting 16 inch barrel....no NFA or pistol bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OD green? I really like that rifle. Looks great. What sling are you using?
View Quote
Yeah OD green.  Thought I’d change up from black.  I think the sling is from the IWI accessory page. It’s a bungee type . It stretches . I like it.  I’m not a 100% on it being a IWI sling.  Been awhile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm late to this party, but go SAR. Just say no to ugly X95.

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/t7Y5ipg.jpg
View Quote
Great looking SAR! Tavor's look good in FDE and OD Green. One of the few rifles I wouldn't hesitate buying in a different color. I typical stick with tactical black but man, I am wanting an FDE or OD Green SAR. I should get both. I did buy a SAR recently. It was an 18" barrel but will be 16.5" once I change it out to the barrel I just picked up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/t7Y5ipg.jpg
Great looking SAR! Tavor's look good in FDE and OD Green. One of the few rifles I wouldn't hesitate buying in a different color. I typical stick with tactical black but man, I am wanting an FDE or OD Green SAR. I should get both. I did buy a SAR recently. It was an 18" barrel but will be 16.5" once I change it out to the barrel I just picked up.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the 18" Master Race.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245788/014AFB08-ECE0-4846-9C67-5EDF57C09BAA-1094803.jpg
Yeah, I have a 16" because that's what I could find when I went looking. I wasn't really tied to barrel length and would have bought any color, as well. The FDE has grown on me, though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Seiran, if you don't mind, what scope are you using here? It looks like the Bushnell I have on my A3 AUG. What diameter is the tube? I have a couple Manticore Arms scope mount for the AUG.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Dropped an ACOG on it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I really hate all the enablers in here!  Just bought an OD Green Tavor SAR because of thread!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really hate all the enablers in here!  Just bought an OD Green Tavor SAR because of thread!
View Quote
I bet you'll love it!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#30]
You are going to love the SAR. I want an X95 and maybe down the road I will get one but the SAR just feels really good. It shoulders well and I just feel like I'm going to love this more than my AR15's.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine is my go-to rifle.
View Quote
Mine, too, when in 5.56 configuration.  I've got an MRO on it and LOVE It.

When in 9mm config, my PSA with FN barrel and Acog is my SHTF choice.

I think the SAR is the most fun rifle I've ever shot, frankly, in both 9mm and 5.56.  Surprisingly, I find little difference in feel and recoil in either configuration.  I've gotten used to the funky mag release, too.  Not a big deal after a couple thousand rounds of practice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine is my go-to rifle.
View Quote
Same. It's my HD gun for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Working on a video with a buddy on 2 gun runs and benched accuracy of the Tavor, x96, aug, and mdrx. Gonna see which is a favorite. For your question both are great rifles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I own the SAR. I have a buddy with an X95. I'll stick with my SAR. I can't really explain it, but the SAR just has a better feeling to it.

Even though the X95 mag release is an AR style button, it seems more difficult to actually press. Probably something to do with the linkage back to the magazine. I understand it can be converted to the SAR type mag release lever, which I would probably do if I had one. It takes a little adjusting, but once you get used to it, the SAR release becomes just as much second nature as any other release, and it's easier than the X95's to operate.

If there is one thing I could give the advantage to on the X95, it would be the charging handle location. To me, this is the real improvement over the SAR.

One other consideration is that the X95 has a removable grip, giving you more options for that and the finger/trigger guard. For me, this is a non-issue since the SAR grip fits my hand, and given the choice I would probably opt for the full length finger guard. Others may want something different, and it is nice to have that option.

I have replaced the sear pack and handguard on my SAR. So, there is certainly an argument that the X95 is better for those - but the aftermarket parts I have are still better than those on the X95, and might end up being replaced anyway. I also replaced the flash hider, but that would happen on either variant.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#38]
No experience with the 95 but I really like the SAR after some upgrades.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Where did you get that hand guard and M-lok section?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Where did you get that hand guard and M-lok section?
View Quote

That is an RPM handguard, made in Canada by a guy named Ramy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a guy on the Tavor Owners group on Facebook that is making handguards as well. Its a very slim design.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Picture thread?

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got any pictures to share?
View Quote

This link should take you right to it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I went X95

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Very nice! I really like the sight too. I will be adding one to my SAR soon. The M21 is just awesome in my opinion. I also hope to add an x95 to my collection.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not a member
View Quote

I thought it would let you see it. I will try and get the picture saved to photobucket. If it lets me. Great members group to join on Facebook.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I really like the SAR also. I do have the Geissele trigger pack in, debating on whether the lightening bow trigger is worth the $100 or not. Also eyeballing the Fab Defense quick bipod...

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top