Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2023 8:38:12 AM EDT
I just ordered a Tavor 7 and should be picking it up from my LGS mid week.   I'd like to shoot it suppressed mostly and have two 30 cal suppressors, a YMH Resonator R2 and an OSS HX-QD 762 TI. Unfortunately these two cans use
different muzzle device mounts so I have to pick one to go to the range with.

How does the Tavor 7 behave suppressed? How is blowback and gas to the face?  I know it has a suppressed setting on the gas block, but I've read that it is still fairly overgassed even at that.

Should I use the YHM baffle can or the OSS flow through? Does the rifle run on the suppressed setting with an OSS can?

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends. You want ultimate quite go with YHM … if you want less overgassing … go with OSS …

That said I ran a YHM R2 can on a T7 and it wasn’t gassy at all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That said I ran a YHM R2 can on a T7 and it wasn't gassy at all.
View Quote
Thanks. That's good to hear.

How was the bolt speed? Did it sound/feel like it was beating itself up?

From searching and reading posts about suppressed use, I think a lot of folks are getting this rifle confused with the X95 or the earlier 5.56 Tavor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope .. as long as you put it in suppressed setting you'll be just fine ...

R2 is not the gassiest can actually ...

SAR/X95 are long stroke ... think AK ... and they do DUMP a lot of gas back ... the T7 is a short stroke ... like a SCAR/416 etc ...
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope .. as long as you put it in suppressed setting you'll be just fine ...

R2 is not the gassiest can actually ...

SAR/X95 are long stroke ... think AK ... and they do DUMP a lot of gas back ... the T7 is a short stroke ... like a SCAR/416 etc ...
View Quote

That's a good point about long stroke vs short stroke. I'm not sure I understand why, but I saw where Robinson Arms recommends going with the short stroke option when custom building an XCR if you plan on shooting it suppressed.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I use mine with a DA Nomad and it runs great in the suppressed gas setting. I haven't noticed gas to the face issues like I have on my sig mcx. The T7  is so heavy to begin with, I'd go with whichever can is lighter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use mine with a DA Nomad and it runs great in the suppressed gas setting. I haven't noticed gas to the face issues like I have on my sig mcx.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I use mine with a DA Nomad and it runs great in the suppressed gas setting. I haven't noticed gas to the face issues like I have on my sig mcx.
Thanks. I'm feeling better about using the R2 now.

Quoted:
The T7  is so heavy to begin with, I'd go with whichever can is lighter.
I agree. I'm going to try and keep the weight down on this rifle.  Actually with a Xeno adapter in the Resonator, the two cans are within a couple grams of each other so that's a wash. However, I do have a Griffin Explorr in jail and will definitely use that on this rifle. It's just under 10 oz.

I also bought a 10.3 oz Vortex 5x prism to try on it, rather than a heavy LPVO. ($250 w/free shipping on sale @ Palmetto!) Primary Arms has an even lighter 5x prism due out in July. I've never tried a prism so if I like the Vortex, I might pick up the PA one for the T7 and put the Vortex on my FAL.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I run mine with an OSS HX-QD 762 suppressor. Really works well.

The key with this gun is to use a SCAR 17 shoulder ring at the muzzle. Do NOT use the shitty jam nut method the gun came with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The key with this gun is to use a SCAR 17 shoulder ring at the muzzle. Do NOT use the shitty jam nut method the gun came with.
View Quote
Thanks. I actually just found that out last night.

I picked up the rifle earlier this week and tried to put a Dead Air Xeno flash hider on it. Without the jam nut, the FH would not quite reach the shoulder. With the jam nut all the way against the shoulder, torqued down against the shoulder at 25 ft lbs, and then the FH torqued to 25 ft lbs against the jam nut, a 308 alignment rod was uncomfortably close to the end cap of my Resonator at about 5:45. Inverting the gun didn't help, so it wasn't the alignment rod drooping or tolerance slack.  I tried removing and retightening everything a few times and no joy.

I ordered a Surefire SCAR 17 shoulder ring so fingers crossed that it will solve the problem.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. I actually just found that out last night.

I picked up the rifle earlier this week and tried to put a Dead Air Xeno flash hider on it. Without the jam nut, the FH would not quite reach the shoulder. With the jam nut all the way against the shoulder, torqued down against the shoulder at 25 ft lbs, and then the FH torqued to 25 ft lbs against the jam nut, a 308 alignment rod was uncomfortably close to the end cap of my Resonator at about 5:45. Inverting the gun didn't help, so it wasn't the alignment rod drooping or tolerance slack.  I tried removing and retightening everything a few times and no joy.

I ordered a Surefire SCAR 17 shoulder ring so fingers crossed that it will solve the problem.

View Quote

The adapter should solve it enough. It's still not a real shoulder but it works.

For the record, the jam nut isn't supposed to thread down to the barrel OD/tiny shoulder. You're supposed to position (minimum 6 threads) and time the flash hider, then tighten the jam nut back forward against it. The jam nut in this case is sort of a floating shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For the record, the jam nut isn't supposed to thread down to the barrel OD/tiny shoulder. You're supposed to position (minimum 6 threads) and time the flash hider, then tighten the jam nut back forward against it. The jam nut in this case is sort of a floating shoulder.
View Quote
That's a good point. I was thinking that if I torqued it down against the shoulder, it would be straight and act like a spacer. That obviously didn't work. Maybe it would have worked better if I used it properly as a jam nut.  At this point I'm just going to wait for the proper shoulder ring and do it right.

I remember going through this with my X95 and a Tavor/SCAR 16 Shoulder Ring from KBA Custom worked perfectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top