Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 7:04:59 AM EDT
Alright folks, bit of a complex question here. I'm looking at purchasing an MCX in about the next month, and going back and forth between getting the Virtus 9" 300BLK model or the Rattler. Either way, I plan to also purchase a SRD762 and the gun would always be run with the suppressor on with supersonic ammo (Barnes 110gr VOR-TX, to be specific). Here's my question;

I know 9" is about the ideal length for a 300BLK rifle, even with supersonic rounds. But I also know that you get a bit of a velocity boost from shorter barrels when you run them suppressed (I've seen it referred to as "freebore boost" before, if that's correct). Would the shorter barrel on the Rattler + whatever freebore boost is gained from the suppressor result in a significant loss of velocity as compared to the 9" barrel? Meaning, will I lose a significant amount of the supersonic ammo's potential effective range, or will the boost from the suppressor negate the loss of velocity from the shorter barrel?

I intend for this rifle to be a dedicated suppressor host, and am looking at it for a go-to home defense and hunting platform with either a 1-4x or 1-6x LPVO for the optic
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Suppressors only gain you about 1% velocity on average, in my experience.

For supers, I would not pick a Rattler unless you truly wanted a PDW.

This chart is based on 110gr TSX projectiles.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Well looks like that question is answered. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the pistol in 556 then get a 16" 300 barrel and cut to suit.
Swap calibers back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you got you’re answer.
Figured I post my chrono data for reference.
9” MCX S&B200gr subs 930fps
9” MCX S&B200gr subs suppressed 941fps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top