Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2019 3:41:07 PM EDT

Hey guys, I just inherited this Winchester model 64 in .30-30 from my father. It was his first rifle that he ever purchased, back in 1970 or so.
I have a few questions.

Approximately what year was this manufactured in?

How do I remove the front sling stud so that I can install a modern UMK stud to properly utilize the pictured sling? Is it just threaded? Or should I leave it?

This may seem like heresy, but are there any magazine extensions? Probably won't, but I'm curious.

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Your rifle dates to between 1943 and 1948.  It appears to be a standard model (not a deluxe).

The front sling stud is threaded, remove the grip cap and there should be a nut in there.  Should be able to replace it with a modern threaded stud.

Magazine tube, it CAN be replaced with one for a rifle length model 1894.  To do so will require a smith to locate and cut the notches for the cross screws or a dove tail for a mount depending on what tube and hardware you can get.

Unfortunately, you won't find a magazine tube length or profile to exactly match your barrel.  The 24" tapered barrel on your '64 is unique to that model. It's shorter than a Sporting Rifle but longer than a carbine.

It is strongly advised that you NOT alter the rifle beyond the sling stud as it will destroy the rifle's value.  The sling stud is a moot point as one has already been after market installed (they did not come on the standard rifle).

Value wise:
If the rifle has a nice clean & bright bore, it is worth much more than a modern Model 94 (your's appears to be in the $1100 - $1500 range if the bore is good)(a pitted or dark bore can drop it down to below $1000 depending on just how bad).  Any changes to the rifle away from original configuration will knock the value down significantly.  About the only thing you can do to it that won't hurt the value is to install a period correct receiver sight.  Installing a tang sight will hurt a it a little but not too drastically.  Refinishing is flat out!
The one in your photos is a rifle that you can still take out and hunt with/shoot but you'll have to give it the proper care it needs to keep its value up.

MLG
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your rifle dates to between 1943 and 1948.  It appears to be a standard model (not a deluxe).

The front sling stud is threaded, remove the grip cap and there should be a nut in there.  Should be able to replace it with a modern threaded stud.

Magazine tube, it CAN be replaced with one for a rifle length model 1894.  To do so will require a smith to locate and cut the notches for the cross screws or a dove tail for a mount depending on what tube and hardware you can get.

Unfortunately, you won't find a magazine tube length or profile to exactly match your barrel.  The 24" tapered barrel on your '64 is unique to that model. It's shorter than a Sporting Rifle but longer than a carbine.

It is strongly advised that you NOT alter the rifle beyond the sling stud as it will destroy the rifle's value.  The sling stud is a moot point as one has already been after market installed (they did not come on the standard rifle).

Value wise:
If the rifle has a nice clean & bright bore, it is worth much more than a modern Model 94 (your's appears to be in the $1100 - $1500 range if the bore is good)(a pitted or dark bore can drop it down to below $1000 depending on just how bad).  Any changes to the rifle away from original configuration will knock the value down significantly.  About the only thing you can do to it that won't hurt the value is to install a period correct receiver sight.  Installing a tang sight will hurt a it a little but not too drastically.  Refinishing is flat out!
The one in your photos is a rifle that you can still take out and hunt with/shoot but you'll have to give it the proper care it needs to keep its value up.

MLG
View Quote
Thanks for the info! Value doesn't matter because I'll never sell it. That said, I respect the configuration that it's in and likely won't change anything. As is, the sling situation works, but the UMK swivels on the sling just have some play to them in the stud holes. Of that isn't an issue, then I'm ok with it.
But I would be ok with a better rear sight... Any pictures of what you're talking about? A nice open peep sight would be great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a basic Google search for Winchester model 64.  You'll see photos of them with a receiver sight mounted to the two threaded holes on the upper rear left side.  They were made by Lyman and Redfield.  Or search for "receiver sights Winchester model 64".  Its a fully adjustable peep sight and should enable you to shoot 2" or so groups with the right ammo rather than the typical 4 - 6" groups with the standard rear sight.  It will be fairly easy to find a period correct sight for your rifle for less than $100 or so.

I think Williams still makes them for around $45.  Check MidwayUSA and the other supply houses (Brownell's, etc).

Option "B" would be a tang sight but it would require drilling and tapping a hole in the upper tang.  Not quite "correct" for the rifle but look good and shoot very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MLG
View Quote
This alone is reason to leave it be and just enjoy it.

And buy others to support diversity.........
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't mess with the rifle at all.

The hook eye on the fore end cap was intended to be used with a sling hook like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-winchester-Hook-Eye-sporting-rifle-Sling-Swivels-used-blued/333211482235?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4d94f3b87b:g:gHIAAOSwQyVc6ibK:sc:USPSFirstClass

It's an elegant approach and the butt stock would have had or should have had either a similar stud or an inletted sling eye.

As a rifle pattern Winchester, it should be drilled and tapped for a tang sight.  A period correct Marbles tang sight would work great on it, although they'll cost you $150-$200 for one in very good mechanical condition. They are however very enjoyable to use, are very accurate and are in keeping with the rifle.

In any case, the loose fit won't cause issues.  Just shrink fit a piece of heat shrink tubing over the bar to increase its diameter and trim the end of the heat shrink back so it locks in the gate.    That way you'll have a sling eye that still matched the rest of the rifle.

You also really don't want to add a longer magazine tube. That rifle balances very well with a 3/4 length magazine.  Leave it alone.

It's a nice Model 64, don't screw it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top