Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 2:22:42 PM EDT
Looking to upgrade from my 550b (which I'll still keep). My biggest gripe is having to swage primer pockets and not have it be part of the process (yes I know about the Swage-It).

Mainly looking to use it to load .223 (maybe 300 BLK in the future) and possibly 9mm. As of right now, I have access to a case processor (can't remember if it is camdex or ammoload) for 9mm so loading on the 550b isn't the end of the world to me, even if it is a bit slower.

Am I better off with an RL1100 or the Super1050? My understanding is the Super 1050 can accommodate up to 30-06 cases while the RL1100 is limited to 308 or smaller. Anything I'm missing or need to be aware of? What about automation in the future? I know Dillon bought Ammobot. I was looking at the Mark 7 evolution as a possibility but I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

Based on the looking I've done...I'd need the RL1100, Mr. Bullet Feeder, Powder check, RT1500 (upgrading from my RT1200), and another toolhead. Sound right?

Help me ARFCOM...you're my only hope.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy it while you can. Think of it as a future investment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You won't be disappointed. Owner of a S1050 with bullet feeder. Load 9mm, 45acp SPP and 223/556 ammo on.
ETA.. removed Do It meme
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You will love the S1050 swager.  The press is more complicated than a 550 but once you get it rolling, it's an ammo factory.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will love the S1050 swager.  The press is more complicated than a 550 but once you get it rolling, it's an ammo factory.
View Quote

I guess just for reference purposes...the shop I used to manage had a bunch of 550s, 650s, 1050s, Camdexs, and Ammoloads. And I've loaded on the 1050...just never had to deal with setting it up, etc. Also previously processed my brass on my 550 (minus the swaging).

Perhaps the better question is, what is the advantage of the 1100 over the 1050?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do it.
View Quote

/endthread at post #2
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Balance in life comes from a 1050 as a dedicated press, 550 for quick caliber changes.

Swaging primer pockets and priming on the down stroke are features you will enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
So here is what I have for my order.

• RL 1100 in 223 (not carbide dies since I already have dies)

• RT1500 case trimmer (no dies as I already have the 223 trim and 300 BLK trim dies)

• RL1100 Short Trim Die Toolhead

• RL1100 9mm Conversion

• RL1100 Quick Change Toolhead

• Powder Check

• Small pistol shell plate

• RF100 Auto Primer (small)

Anything that I'm missing or should think about adding?

ETA: Ahhh I forgot the Mr. Bullet Feed, unless there is a better system I should know about...also I have a question as to what die I would need for seating AND crimp at the same time.

Also, would the DAA Primer-Pro be a better buy than the Dillon RF100? It's slightly less expensive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 223 carbide dies make sizing a lot easier.  Dont forget, that press is doing a lot at once.
View Quote

Yea, I have carbide dies from my 550. Was just going to switch them on over.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

• RT1500 case trimmer (no dies as I already have the 223 trim and 300 BLK trim dies)

• RL1100 9mm Conversion

• Powder Check

ETA: Ahhh I forgot the Mr. Bullet Feed, unless there is a better system I should know about...also I have a question as to what die I would need for seating AND crimp at the same time.

Also, would the DAA Primer-Pro be a better buy than the Dillon RF100? It's slightly less expensive.
View Quote

Looks like a plan. I went with the DAA primer pro. I'm very happy with it so far.

I don't use a powder check, so I still seat and crimp separate. You can set up one of the camera viewers or a mirror to see the powder charge as you are loading.

You'll definitely want some stands for the extra toolheads.

Double Alpha is in PA, so you might be able to order through them. On some things they allow preordering.
9mm conversions are scarce right now. Pro tip- 38 super uses all the same parts. So if you can't find a 9 order the super and a green case feed adapter. Then you have a 9 conversion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Huge fan of my 1100.

Bought it last May and have loaded probably close to 30k 9mm on it.

I also have the DAA primer pro, and it works pretty well.  If you use Winchester primers, they have a video specifically for these since they tend to be dirty.

I heard from others (friends) that the Dillon primer tube filler can be finicky, but don't have personal experience with it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
These are a must for mil. 556.  I was a denier, but bent pins, primmer pull back and such I bought.

FW ARMS™ PRIMER POPPER AUTO-CASE CENTERING DECAPPER/DEPRIMER

FW ARMS™ AUTO-CASE CENTERING SWAGE STATION FOOT
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like a plan. I went with the DAA primer pro. I'm very happy with it so far.

I don't use a powder check, so I still seat and crimp separate. You can set up one of the camera viewers or a mirror to see the powder charge as you are loading.

Double Alpha is in PA, so you might be able to order through them. On some things they allow preordering.
9mm conversions are scarce right now. Pro tip- 38 super uses all the same parts. So if you can't find a 9 order the super and a green case feed adapter. Then you have a 9 conversion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just ordered an Ender 3 and I have the Inline Fabrication Wall rail...so maybe I can print some tool head holders for that to save space on the workbench.

Also saw guys were printing their own bullet feeders...I figured I'd give that whirl and see what happens. Plus it was an excuse to get a 3d printer.

After doing a bit more research, I saw people were using cameras and mirrors rather than the powder check, so I'll probably go that route.

Good call on the 38 super...maybe I'll just do that instead, although I'm in no rush for the 9mm conversion.

I'm going to order all the stuff through the dealer I used to work at so...

Quoted:
Huge fan of my 1100.

Bought it last May and have loaded probably close to 30k 9mm on it.

I also have the DAA primer pro, and it works pretty well.  If you use Winchester primers, they have a video specifically for these since they tend to be dirty.

I heard from others (friends) that the Dillon primer tube filler can be finicky, but don't have personal experience with it

I've got a mix of primers downstairs. CCI, S&B, Winchester, and some Federal (I think).

I was reading the Dillon one can be finicky...but I suspect they all can be based on what I'm seeing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

• RL1100 9mm Conversion

• Powder Check

View Quote

I bought one of the first DAA Primer Pro. Did not work that well, DAA took it back. A lot of people on Enos’s had problems getting them to run even 99%.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Add a case of Hornady One Shot lube to your shopping list.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bought one of the first DAA Primer Pro. Did not work that well, DAA took it back. A lot of people on Enos’s had problems getting them to run even 99%.
View Quote

My primer pro has been great so far.

Today I’d consider the DAA Prima-fill.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Add a case of Hornady One Shot lube to your shopping list.
View Quote

Lanolin and Iso-Heet
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Skip the RT 1500 and just get the bosch trim router adapter from F&F brass.

That'll let you use a Bosch 1617 router for your trim motor.

eta: There's nothing wrong with the RT1500 (I have one.)  But the lower (radial) bearing on the 1617 is beefier and that's what wears out first on this type of trimmer.   Thrust (top) bearings wear out at about 1/2 to 1/3 the rate of radial bearings (going by my experience with the 1200)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#21]
So for now...I think I'm going to skip the short trim die toolhead and case trimmer. I'll give more thought/research to the Honey Badger and I'm not planning on making 300 Blackout any time soon (I have enough factory stuff to shoot) for now).

I've whittled it down to the RL1100 in 223, 9mm conversion, quick change toolhead, small pistol shell plate, and the RF100 primer fill.

Anyone make aftermarket toolhead for these yet? I know sometimes they tend to be cheaper than the Dillon ones...Based on what I can see, the Super 1050 and 1050 ones will work but the ratchet is different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Too late to talk me out of anything.

RL1100 ordered...now we'll see how long it takes to actually arrive.

Did some loading on my 550 in the meantime...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So for now...I think I'm going to skip the short trim die toolhead and case trimmer. I'll give more thought/research to the Honey Badger and I'm not planning on making 300 Blackout any time soon (I have enough factory stuff to shoot) for now).

I've whittled it down to the RL1100 in 223, 9mm conversion, quick change toolhead, small pistol shell plate, and the RF100 primer fill.

Anyone make aftermarket toolhead for these yet? I know sometimes they tend to be cheaper than the Dillon ones...Based on what I can see, the Super 1050 and 1050 ones will work but the ratchet is different.
View Quote

I took my 1050 toolhead to a local machinist and he modded it with a flycutter.  This was back before anyone offered factory short trim tool heads.

You can use a 1050 toolhead on an RL1100.  There's several aftermarkets around.  I think there's one that has a cutout on the underside too, so you can thread a locknut on the underside without risking it hitting the shellplate holder.

The bugaboo on compatibility is between 1050/1100 toolheads and cp2000.   You can still use them but you have to remove one of the guide pins and the primer rocker activation pin.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lanolin and Iso-Heet
View Quote

This.  forget about the any other.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lanolin and Iso-Heet

What is the recipe for this?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top