Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/24/2021 7:44:05 PM EDT
Did a night shoot last night and played around with my G45 and P-10C (both with RM06 RMRs). Clear skies with half a moon contributed to excellent PVS-14 performance. I'm good enough with presentation on my pistols that the red dot just shows up during the draw and this was much appreciated as it was my first time shooting pistols with NV. When shooting, I only saw metal plates and my dot and was easily ringing steel at 15-20 yards.

During the session my eye pro started fogging up so I started playing with alternate IR lighting (helmet mounted X300V). That was an immediate no-go as it completely washed out my red dot. I started thinking about how the exercise would have went down had it been a moonless night, in the woods and that got me looking into pistol lights.

On paper, the TLR-VIR II looks like it might be just the ticket for short range work.

Pros:

- Good IR flood (for short range/indoors)
- Crisp designator
- 300 lumen white light
- Same form factor as the TLR-1 (it will fit my existing holsters)
- $288

Cons:

- 300 lumens is weak by today's standards
- Have to take the light off in order to change the battery
- You have to zero it in the dark with NV

This light is so appealing, I'm thinking about picking an extra one up for my HD suppressed MPX.

Any owners out there who would like to share their experiences?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't regret mine at all. All the pros and cons you mentioned were spot on
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
for the price these are pretty decent , good laser but illumination is a bit on the weak side.  i do like the streamlight switchology

working with holsters you already have is a big plus

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
All the pro are already listed and IMHO out weigh the cons by a big margin. The easiest way to zero it is by just overlapping your IR laser to your already zeroed RDS which I zero at 10/50 yards. Also they're a better choice over a X300V because you can instantly switch from IR to white light without twisting the head of the light.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Have had mine for a year and a half. Great all around. Zeroing with an RDS is simple. 300LM is fine for pistol ranges.

The wide IR flood is great because indoors an intense narrow hotspot makes everything around it too dark when the autogating kicks in.

The zero will shift a little when you remount it, but not by much, and not enough to matter at 25 yards and under. But you can easily check zero with an RDS after doing the batteries.

Holster compatibility is more like 90% with the TLR-1. Tight fitting kydex holsters might not have same retention even though it'll fit. My Safariland 7TS holster is fine out of the box. I also tried a Bravo Concealment meant for a TLR-1 and had to modify it by heating a small spot on the thermoplastic near where the light bezel meets the body and pressing it in a little and letting it set. After that, perfect fit and retention.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The laser is visible for a couple hundred yards, the laser and illuminator aren’t too bright indoors or close up. The white lights is good enough for a pistol or backup light for a rifle.

For size cost and capabilities it’s hard to beat
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one and love it. As others have already mentioned the illuminator isn’t for long distance. I plan on ordering one or two more in the near future. Nothing comes close to the price for a white light / IR illuminator / IR laser combo that I’m aware of.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Get it! I've had Surefire X400V-B-IRC's and the Streamlight is a lot better in my opinion. Cheaper cost, 1 battery with longer runtime, easier windage / elevation adjustments, switch from visible Illuminator to IR Illuminator w/ Pointer is easier to use, bright enough for inside 100 yards, comes in Black and Tan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info posted thus far. I have been on the fence about getting one of these for a backup night-capable rifle. The rifle will be primarily set up for passive aiming with a piggy-backed RMR. For the cost, I'm having a hard time finding anything else that would serve in the role of a backup IR pointer/illum for CQB distances. My primary night rifle also has a piggy-backed RMR and a TNVC mini-TOR and M600V. Trying to ball on a budget here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
First "Talk to me about..." thread in the history of ARFCOM with no dissenters.

Ordered.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Forgot to add...

Does it clear the front BUIS when mounted at 12:00 on a rifle/carbine/SBR?

I like mounting X300U's like this for certain applications:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes. It’s about perfect for that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First "Talk to me about..." thread in the history of ARFCOM with no dissenters.

Ordered.
View Quote
You'll be glad you did. Just got mine in from B&H last week and very happy with it for the price. Mounted it on an MP5 and it is the perfect solution. I'm thinking of picking more up and mounted them on all my AR's so every gun is NV  capable.

How you are planning to mount yours will work well. I mounted mine at 45* on the right side and can thumb over/press down for momentary illumination. It's perfect.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Little late to the game but you will be happy. Great application is a night fighting/pest control shotgun. VIR capabilities really tend to match the realistic ranges of handguns shotguns and PPCs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wish they made it tape switch compatible, as I'd buy another.

The IR laser on mine can be easily seen at 500-800yds on trees across the corn field next to my house.

The IR illuminator is pretty much only good for indoors and sub 50yds. Very comparable to a pvs14 illuminator.

Visible light is good. Not the brightest, but plenty sufficient for pistol calibers.

The use with or without NV really makes it a winner for a carry gun. Also can use the visbif your NV goes down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a couple and will likely get a few more. 1 thing to be aware of: my first one would work loose in less than 1 mag of duty ammo (45 acp ranger 230 grain, 14rd mag). I would tighten the cross bolt with a penny. The cross bolt snapped at the threads after a few times. The cross bolt is smaller than a standard tlr1. I wish streamlight would've used the same bolt. They sent me a new bolt as expected. I put a small (#6 or 8, can't remember for sure) lock washer under the head of the bolt. That seems to have remedied the problem. I would suggest putting these in every one of the vir's you have.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I too have been toying w/ the idea of getting one of these.  For those who have used these indoors, is the IR illuminator sufficiently powerful effectively blind yourself when trying to look out of a window with the IR laser/illuminator on?  Sounds like an odd question, I realize, but the way our ground floor is set up I can see that being a problem if so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
This is on my short list when my PVS-14 arrives.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one mounted at 12 O'clock on an AR9.  Its a perfect light/laser/illuminator for a subgun.

I will be buying more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assume this is not compatible?

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-remote-switches-for-long-guns
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure if VIR encompasses the VIR II.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]

"expert" answer from OpticsPlanet:Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
that's referencing the original VIR. The VIR II has a different design and the door can't really even be modified to fit. There's a pretty in depth thread about it somewhere here if you can find it.

I use mine on a 10.5" 556 in the 12:00 position and can see the iron sight over it perfectly.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have one mounted at 12 O'clock on an AR9.  Its a perfect light/laser/illuminator for a subgun.

I will be buying more.
View Quote

Yep. Great for that application.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Just got my first NVD, been thinking about these, glad to see the positive reputation.

Quoted:
that's referencing the original VIR. The VIR II has a different design and the door can't really even be modified to fit. There's a pretty in depth thread about it somewhere here if you can find it.

I use mine on a 10.5" 556 in the 12:00 position and can see the iron sight over it perfectly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20201230_223443_jpg-1796388.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20201230-223954_Gallery_jpg-1796391.JPG
View Quote

What micro mount is that?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just got my first NVD, been thinking about these, glad to see the positive reputation.

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20201230-223954_Gallery_jpg-1796391.JPG

Thanks
Unity fast mount.

It's awesome for shooting with nods, for a more natural heads-up shooting style, and also because you can use their Flip to Center magnifier mount. I hate having a magnifier hanging off the side of the gun but flipping it down and out of the way is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unity fast mount.

It's awesome for shooting with nods, for a more natural heads-up shooting style, and also because you can use their Flip to Center magnifier mount. I hate having a magnifier hanging off the side of the gun but flipping it down and out of the way is awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
Unity fast mount.

Yeah, looks like a cool system.
It does amuse me that we're basically back to mounted on top of carry handle height.
What was lame is cool again?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone mounting this or something like the surefire x400v on a QD rail section to be able to change battery and retain zero?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ll add to the chorus.  Positives definitely outweigh the negatives by a lot.

However I’ll add another couple negatives. One is the location of the white / off / IR 3position switch makes it pretty easy to accidentally move.

Another is cold weather performance is a bit sketchy.  Thermals nods peq15 and VIR II all in same weather (teens)  for same amount of time.  For some reason VIR battery was totally dead while others were fine.  In the fall the battery life was in what I would consider a normal range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
My only gripe about it is that I wish there were a way to use the laser without the illuminator. Otherwise it's great
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone mounting this or something like the surefire x400v on a QD rail section to be able to change battery and retain zero?
View Quote

It holds zero close enough and can easily checked by overlapping your laser to your RDS at the furthest distance you can see.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My only gripe about it is that I wish there were a way to use the laser without the illuminator. Otherwise it's great
View Quote

I agree. It's great for a pistol and I've never felt disadvantaged by the 300 lumens.

I'd love to put one on my rifle but the inability to have just the IR laser activated makes me have second thoughts. Given the size, price and capabilities of the VIR you'd think someone could come up with a product with separate modes for visible light, IR light and an IR laser for less than $700-900...the cost of a DBAL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I decided to pick one up, hopefully it does what I need it to do on my pistol.    I was pretty shocked at all the abundantly positive comments on it in this thread for as relatively inexpensive as it is.  All the Streamlight products I have owned have always batted above their price.  I used the living shit out of my Supertac IR before switching to the FLIR MSI8000.  Their EDC rechargeable lights have been solid for me as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Black ones on sale at midway. Thanks for the info here!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#35]
While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a high quality dual white/IR light (no laser) that isn't going to cost me $500? Looking to put one on a rifle with a Tor so I can run the laser without the illuminator.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Black ones on sale at midway. Thanks for the info here!
View Quote

Coyote on sale too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a high quality dual white/IR light (no laser) that isn't going to cost me $500? Looking to put one on a rifle with a Tor so I can run the laser without the illuminator.
View Quote

Inforce WML might work for you but Surefire m300v is also under $500...
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arms Unlimited was selling the X300V for $212 a little while ago. I picked one up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, I should have qualified with "except the Inforce".
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I love this light/laser for handgun use when I don't have a red dot. I'm sure it would make a fine laser for a pistol-caliber carbine or other small rifle.

My main issue is you can't individually select the IR light and laser. With an RMR I have no need or want for an IR laser, but I often want IR illumination. OP describes this exact scenario.

My favorite night handgun configuration is a red dot and a surefire X300V. My second favorite configuration is a handgun with a TLR-VIR II on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#41]
How hard is zeroing this laser on a handgun with irons only?  What would be the preferred process?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How hard is zeroing this laser on a handgun with irons only?  What would be the preferred process?
View Quote

At night with your daylight/dust cap on and your NODs focused to a near focus, point your pistol at the furthest distance you can see and drop the IR laser ontop of your front sight. Now anything under @ 7 yards the distance from your bore to the laser will be no greater than @ 1.5-2" offset, from @ 10-15 yards and beyond will have the same hold overs for your iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I love this IR illuminator. It gives a really wide flood that essentially lights up my 2 acre pasture. Easy to scan for eyes reflecting back at you!

I have my Glock 34 set up for nods, but it can quickly revert back to a daytime EDC. I love how it fits the same holsters as I run TLR1 lights exclusively.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Light showed up today. It is pretty good for what it is. Illuminator is better than on my APTIAL-C.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Streamlight TLR VIR-II White Light & Infrared Laser & Illuminator Review

I'm planning to get one too after seeing the positive review by @mrgunsngear
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Light showed up today. It is pretty good for what it is. Illuminator is better than on my APTIAL-C.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20210207_050918325_jpg-1814353.JPG
View Quote

Wow, I would not have guessed that.  Mine should arrive this week based on tracking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20210207_050918325_jpg-1814353.JPG
View Quote

Agreed; for HD distances it's a huge improvement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love this IR illuminator. It gives a really wide flood that essentially lights up my 2 acre pasture. Easy to scan for eyes reflecting back at you!

I have my Glock 34 set up for nods, but it can quickly revert back to a daytime EDC. I love how it fits the same holsters as I run TLR1 lights exclusively.
View Quote

While it isn't the brightest illuminator, it definitely does make eyes glow in my similar size pasture. Also makes them show up nice in the chicken coop. I've used it on a TX22 with a can to kill a few vermin-cong
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The IR laser on mine can be easily seen at 500-800yds on trees across the corn field next to my house.

The IR illuminator is pretty much only good for indoors and sub 50yds. Very comparable to a pvs14 illuminator.

Visible light is good. Not the brightest, but plenty sufficient for pistol calibers.

The use with or without NV really makes it a winner for a carry gun. Also can use the visbif your NV goes down.
View Quote

If you don't mind mickey mousing stuff, you can buy either a 69161 or 69130 switch assembly.
Remove some plastic material on the top and bottom where battery springs are. Then epoxy a piece of metal or plastic with plastic fusing epoxy and sand it down so it catches the switch top notch of the VIR. Then you remove the pin that holds the clamp to the VIR 2 switch and cut off one of the "legs" of the clamp. Reinstall the pin and the modified clamp to the 69161/69130 switch and wahlah, tape switch compatible.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#50]
If you have more detailed pics. Id be interested...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top