Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2018 6:08:56 PM EDT
I'm looking at picking up a takedown 10/22 w/ the magpul backpacker stock.

I see that magpul also offers a optic mount that lets you attach a red dot to the barrel assembly. I assume this is to keep from having POI changes when the rifle is broken down and reassembled? I've seen other 10/22 TD's with receiver mounted optics, is POI shift an noticeable issue with these? I'm not planning to shoot benchrest with it, just hunting accuracy quality.

Also, is it possible to mount a red dot on the magpul mount and mount a magnifier on the receiver and have them line up?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, taking the barrel on/off will effect the POI of the optic...but not too much.  You may not even notice it.  Especially if you are using a red dot that already has a 2MOA (or larger) reticle.

If you were using the rifle to see how small of a group you could shoot at 100M, and removing the barrel from the receiver when you stored the gun, that definitely not ideal.
But, if you are just plinking or having fun, you will never notice the difference.

There isn't enough space to mount anything else but one optic...the mount is only about 1" long...maybe 1.5".  I don't foresee any alignment issue if you mounted the red dot on the forward rail and a magnifier on the receiver...the barrel/receiver alignment may change .5mm either direction, but that is very negligible for that combo.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, taking the barrel on/off will effect the POI of the optic...but not too much.  You may not even notice it.  Especially if you are using a red dot that already has a 2MOA (or larger) reticle.

If you were using the rifle to see how small of a group you could shoot at 100M, and removing the barrel from the receiver when you stored the gun, that definitely not ideal.
But, if you are just plinking or having fun, you will never notice the difference.

There isn't enough space to mount anything else but one optic...the mount is only about 1" long...maybe 1.5".  I don't foresee any alignment issue if you mounted the red dot on the forward rail and a magnifier on the receiver...the barrel/receiver alignment may change .5mm either direction, but that is very negligible for that combo.
View Quote
My main "purpose" (other than just because its a cool gun to have) is to bring with me when taking hunting trips. If I go to WY for a week or two it might be nice to have a .22lr along if I tag out early. I can bring a regular rifle but a takedown would be neat for saving space, thats also why i mentioned the backpacker stock.

Accuracy wise all I would need is the ability to still hit small game at reasonable distances. I suppose I could always adjust zero when there but it would be better if I didn't have to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Having a 10/22 takedown that I fondle more than I shoot (Arizona fire restrictions have really put a damper on shooting) I feel like every time I lock it back in to place, it's very very tight and feels about as solid as my 50th anniversary 10/22. I can't tell a difference. If the POA is different when you remove the barrel, simply because you removed the barrel, it seems to me like after shooting 25 round through it your POA would be off anyway from the force and vibrations the gun experiences from each shot. Similar to what the other guy said, I cant see why it would affect a fun day at the range or popping small critters at 100 yards or less. I don't think you would buy a 10/22 take down for precision 22 rifle, so I think you would be just fine. even .5mm sound like to much of a change. My take down locks up very tight.

Not sure if this helps.

Or if its even coherent... But anyway...
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The accuracy you require will not be affected by a take down 10/22.

When the 10/22 takedown came out several years ago, a buddy of mine with a youtube page did a zero comparison test that would answer your question exactly...From what I can remember, the POI was affected, but it was very negligible.  The gun will still be MOS (minute of squirrel).

10/22 Takedown Part 1
10/22 Takedown Part 2

If you are going to use the Magpul backpacker stock, just use the backpacker optics mount as well...$50 is a cheap guarantee not to shift POI.  Mounting the magnifier on the receiver won't be an issue with alignment.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the set up you describe, without an optics mount. was just mounted to the rear rail. I found no real issue with take down and re-assembly. I was able to hit 4" steel plates with a red dot from about 15 yards with no problems. I found my rear rail being loose to be more of an issue, so now I just shoot it iron sights. It's an even smaller package and fits in a tool cubby in my truck
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The accuracy you require will not be affected by a take down 10/22.

When the 10/22 takedown came out several years ago, a buddy of mine with a youtube page did a zero comparison test that would answer your question exactly...From what I can remember, the POI was affected, but it was very negligible.  The gun will still be MOS (minute of squirrel).

10/22 Takedown Part 1
10/22 Takedown Part 2

If you are going to use the Magpul backpacker stock, just use the backpacker optics mount as well...$50 is a cheap guarantee not to shift POI.  Mounting the magnifier on the receiver won't be an issue with alignment.
View Quote
Well I'd prefer a magnified optic on the receiver over a red dot on the magpul mount, but if a red dot on the magpul mount was the best way to mitigate POI shift then I'd do it. The magnifier idea was just to get back magnification if I was stuck with a red dot.

Gonna repost those vids so I can see em.

Ruger vs. AGP Arms 10-22 Take-Down (Part 1)

Ruger vs. AGP Arms 10-22 Take-Down (Part 2)
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the set up you describe, without an optics mount. was just mounted to the rear rail. I found no real issue with take down and re-assembly. I was able to hit 4" steel plates with a red dot from about 15 yards with no problems. I found my rear rail being loose to be more of an issue, so now I just shoot it iron sights. It's an even smaller package and fits in a tool cubby in my truck
View Quote
That sounds good enough for most small game, maybe not squirrels. Irons crossed my mind but I prefer optics for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That sounds good enough for most small game, maybe not squirrels. Irons crossed my mind but I prefer optics for hunting.
View Quote
I’ve got the PA fixed 6x powered scope with ACSS reticle, mounted on the receiver with Warne rings on my TD. I’ve been able to hold quarter sized groups at 25-40m, consistently. I haven’t specifically tested for POI shift after takedown and reassembly, but I also have not had to do any adjustments to my POA and it’s been dead nuts. Granted, as stated above, for precision shooting at further differences, the shift may be noticeable, but for my plinking, it’s been a non issue. I would trust this for small game (squirrel) accuracy within a reasonable distance.

Hope my experience helps!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ve got the PA fixed 6x powered scope with ACSS reticle, mounted on the receiver with Warne rings on my TD. I’ve been able to hold quarter sized groups at 25-40m, consistently. I haven’t specifically tested for POI shift after takedown and reassembly, but I also have not had to do any adjustments to my POA and it’s been dead nuts. Granted, as stated above, for precision shooting at further differences, the shift may be noticeable, but for my plinking, it’s been a non issue. I would trust this for small game (squirrel) accuracy within a reasonable distance.

Hope my experience helps!
View Quote
It does, thank you.

How do you like the PA scope? I have a fixed 4x Simmons on my 10/22 carbine and a 3-9x Nikon on my American rimfire. The 9x is nice for the range but I almost always hunt with the 4x or the 3-9x set to 3x. I might have to play with the 3-9x and see how I like 6x for general purpose use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It does, thank you.

How do you like the PA scope? I have a fixed 4x Simmons on my 10/22 carbine and a 3-9x Nikon on my American rimfire. The 9x is nice for the range but I almost always hunt with the 4x or the 3-9x set to 3x. I might have to play with the 3-9x and see how I like 6x for general purpose use.
View Quote
I really like it! It’s simple, and extremely lightweight. The ACSS reticle is awesome. For this specific setup, I would say it’s “perfect” (if such a thing exists)!

Not to mention, it’s very decently priced.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Maverick52 I never shot it for group size before or after take down, and honestly I never dialed it in much more than "meh about the center of the plate from here". I would bet with an optic you'd be good enough. The take down tension is adjustable, so you can have it really lock in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top