Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2019 2:37:09 PM EDT
I have been on the hunt for a shooter grade thompson. I'd prefer the M1 style over the 1928. This one has been floating around on gunbroker for months, and doesn't look bad to me, but I'm leery because nobody has bid on it in that time. It's in my price range, and I like the look, even thought its a mix of parts.

So at the risk of someone stealing it out from under me, can a couple of you take a look and tell me what you think?

Again, just looking for a fun shooter, I understand it isn't the most collectible. I also understand that the transfer from AR to OH will take two stamps, but my buddy is an sot, so the transfer is free.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811273472
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
West Hurley’s normally go for around 18-20 from what I’ve seen. The reserve isn’t met on that yet either
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of thoughts on that gun.

1. Its a "West Hurley" Thompson so quality out of the gate isn't at the top of the Thompson hierarchy.   Its also a 1928 West Hurley which have the blish lock cuts and which of the two variations made  by the West Hurley AOC (28 & M1) the 28s have many more receiver based issues due to the complicated blish lock cuts.    Personally if you are going to get a West Hurley gun the M1s that dont have the blish lock cuts are a much better option in my opinion.

A regular run of the mill 1928 WH Thomson is a $15K to $16K gun so this one is right in the mix pricewise for a normal 1928 West Hurley.

2. This 1928 appears to have some issues based on the pictures.

- Its currently sporting an 1928 finned barrel but is missing its compensator and its got a M1 front grip installed on it.

- There is something odd with the finish on the gun as the back portion appears to be blued but forward of the magwell it looks to be parked.  Not sure if that park is covering up some repair, etc. or if its just the lighting but something looks off to me.

3. The seller description is borderline dishonest to me.

"This gun is marked on the inside with 'S' so we a thinking it is 1921 savage parts mixed with 1928."  

There is no way this is a Savage built Thompson and the add alludes to the fact that it may be and not calling out its a West Hurley gun (which it clearly is) seems like he is fishing for somebody who doesnt know the difference.

There is also no such thing as a 1921 Savage Thompson either.

(Similar to the HK briefcase debacle in GD....it is an "HK case for an MP5K" or is it a "Case for an HK MP5K".)

If you want an M1, get an unmolested AOC West Hurley M1 for the same price or less than this one on Gunbroker.  Those guns represent a good value and worst case just need some US Mil M1 parts swapped into them to get them to run.

This one is right up there price-wise with a normal WH 1928 and looks to have a bunch of questions/potential issues.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couple of thoughts on that gun.

1. Its a "West Hurley" Thompson so quality out of the gate isn't at the top of the Thompson hierarchy.   Its also a 1928 West Hurley which have the blish lock cuts and which of the two variations made  by the West Hurley AOC (28 & M1) the 28s have many more receiver based issues due to the complicated blish lock cuts.    Personally if you are going to get a West Hurley gun the M1s that dont have the blish lock cuts are a much better option in my opinion.

A regular run of the mill 1928 WH Thomson is a $15K to $16K gun so this one is right in the mix pricewise for a normal 1928 West Hurley.

2. This 1928 appears to have some issues based on the pictures.

- Its currently sporting an 1928 finned barrel but is missing its compensator and its got a M1 front grip installed on it.

- There is something odd with the finish on the gun as the back portion appears to be blued but forward of the magwell it looks to be parked.  Not sure if that park is covering up some repair, etc. or if its just the lighting but something looks off to me.

3. The seller description is borderline dishonest to me.

"This gun is marked on the inside with 'S' so we a thinking it is 1921 savage parts mixed with 1928."  

There is no way this is a Savage built Thompson and the add alludes to the fact that it may be and not calling out its a West Hurley gun (which it clearly is) seems like he is fishing for somebody who doesnt know the difference.

There is also no such thing as a 1921 Savage Thompson either.

(Similar to the HK briefcase debacle in GD....it is an "HK case for an MP5K" or is it a "Case for an HK MP5K".)

If you want an M1, get an unmolested AOC West Hurley M1 for the same price or less than this one on Gunbroker.  Those guns represent a good value and worst case just need some US Mil M1 parts swapped into them to get them to run.

This one is right up there price-wise with a normal WH 1928 and looks to have a bunch of questions/potential issues.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
View Quote
JB,

your knowledge is invaluable and a class act guy!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Suggest you go over to the Thompson Board and ask the guys there.  They are dedicated Thompson freaks and will be in the position to analyze every nut, bolt and screw down to the metallurgical properties of the original iron ore that was mined to create the steel the gun was made of.  (OK, a slight exaggeration, LOL.)

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

FWIW, it looks to me like a West Hurley 1928 that is being marketed by someone who doesn't know much about Thompsons.  The "S" marked parts show that one of the previous owners dumped at least some of the West Hurley internal parts and replaced them with GI parts, which is a good thing.  The seller describes the magazines as being 20 and 10-rounders, but unless they have all been altered, they look more like 30s and 20s.

You say you just want a "fun shooter", and this gun might be a good bet for you.  Even if it doesn't run "grate" like the ad claims, it can be fixed.  Since it has been sitting on GB for a while, you might want to contact the seller and see if they will accept a lower offer.  The seller is a pawn shop, so they might not have much money into it.  If they are NFA dealers, the first transfer to your FFL will not be taxed.

You say you prefer the looks of the M1/M1A1 to the 1928, but bear in mind that the 1928 will accept drums, while the M1 will not.  A fifty-round drum dump will warm the cockles of anyone's heart.  100-round dumps are even better!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
There in a nice m1 in the EE I’ve been drooling over 18 k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top