Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2018 11:21:17 PM EDT
Anyone have these? Ratings and weight looks good, especially for the price. Link
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no way that is anything but pure chineseium. All it takes to be "made in the USA" is for the strike face and cover to be attached to the PE.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no way that is anything but pure chineseium. All it takes to be "made in the USA" is for the strike face and cover to be attached to the PE.
View Quote
Anyone have anything with comparable stats?

Looks like mrgunsngear had favorable results with them.

Link
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyone have anything with comparable stats?

Looks like mrgunsngear had favorable results with them.

Link
View Quote
Similar Chinese plates are all over EBay and Ali baba/express. For a sub 5lb level III plate there's Hesco, tencate, and LTC.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Similar Chinese plates are all over EBay and Ali baba/express. For a sub 5lb level III plate there's Hesco, tencate, and LTC.
View Quote
What's the giveaway for them being Chinese? There's another place selling plates, that I have to wonder about their true "USA product" Can discuss this via PM if needed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's the giveaway for them being Chinese? There's another place selling plates, that I have to wonder about their true "USA product" Can discuss this via PM if needed.
View Quote
I have emailed back and forth with armor plate Mfgs on Alibaba before, after you look at them enough you can see similarities between all their models, also weights, curvatures and cover materials will look similar. The materials cost for a all US made plate is higher than the tactical scorpion plates. Using real Honeywell Spectra or DSM dyneema and a SiC or B4C strike face made in the US with the purity and quality standards requires for ballistic plates is not an inexpensive proposition. When the transition is made from an alumina strike face to a SiC the price almost always jumps from sub 200 per plate to over 400. The plates that don't have that price hike usually have some reason for it, such as the ABS 4.5 level IV which uses a down sized strike face.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
^ Gothca. I have two Chinese Level IV plates from Militech to test. They have the reduced strike face in both the Alumina and SiC model. 6lbs for the Alumina and 5lb 5oz for the SIC. Both Single curve. It will be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got a pair of the extreme PE plates. I obviously haven’t tested them but they’re very lightweight and feel sturdy. I’ve watched a few of the YouTube tests on these with m855 green tip and they look solid. I’m a fan until someone proves them wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I sort of have to agree. If it will stop 2 hits of M193 from a 20" barrel, 2 hits of M855 from a 20" barrel, and 2 hits of M855A1 from a 20" barrel and with one of the hits of M855A1 being one of the last 2 and close to the edge, I don't think you can ask for much better.  It may not stop some higher performance deer rifle rounds, it may not have the least back face signature, but it seems like a solid performer for the money.

LINK

If someone was considering a single curved AR500 III+ steel plate or a Tactical Scorpion III+ multicurved plate, I'd have no problem reccomending the Tactical Scorpion over the steel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sort of have to agree. If it will stop 2 hits of M193 from a 20" barrel, 2 hits of M855 from a 20" barrel, and 2 hits of M855A1 from a 20" barrel and with one of the hits of M855A1 being one of the last 2 and close to the edge, I don't think you can ask for much better.  It may not stop some higher performance deer rifle rounds, it may not have the least back face signature, but it seems like a solid performer for the money.

LINK

If someone was considering a single curved AR500 III+ steel plate or a Tactical Scorpion III+ multicurved plate, I'd have no problem reccomending the Tactical Scorpion over the steel.
View Quote
It was a regular M855 Green Tip that was the bottom two rounds, and the one close to the edge that caused the backface bulge. The M855A1 were the middle two rounds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly they are working on a ver 2 of the plate. I've asked them about a T&E because I'm curious about M80A1 performance :D
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Supposedly they are working on a ver 2 of the plate. I've asked them about a T&E because I'm curious about M80A1 performance :D
View Quote
Looking at the SCAR17 FMJ hit from Mrgunsngear, I'm virtually positive it would fail right now.

Has anyone checked to see if its a hexagonal or rectangular sectioned plate bonded together for the strike face? If they used their patented manufacturing process to bond foreign sourced plate segments, would that make the strike face considered American made?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looking at the SCAR17 FMJ hit from Mrgunsngear, I'm virtually positive it would fail right now.

Has anyone checked to see if its a hexagonal or rectangular sectioned plate bonded together for the strike face? If they used their patented manufacturing process to bond foreign sourced plate segments, would that make the strike face considered American made?
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. It's weight seems heavier than I would anticipate a SiC/PE plate to be and a CTA strike face may be the explanation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think anyone has torn one apart yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
What patent would that be? Their site doesn't have any information.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, patent pending anyway...

"Patent pending for design, content and manufacturing processes"

It is just some of the discussions and wording had me thinking out loud if the plate strike face was bonded from smaller pieces or a one piece strike face. If it is bonded from smaller ceramic pieces would bonding foreign sourced ceramic pieces change the strike face from being considered a "foreign sourced" part to a "USA sourced" part. They claim USA made and US sourced parts. At the price, I wonder how.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I am looking hard at a set of these.  I contacted the company and they can make me a front plate with custom cuts with a 5 day turn around.  I don't think if it was Chinese that would be possible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
All depends. I mean the material could be sourced from China, or specifically the backer, and then assembled here. Who knows..
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
So I acquired one of these and this is what the strike face looks like https://imgur.com/a/Ay2ABb5 It's a CTA of smaller pieces not unlike those usually found in Chinese made plates. According to a buddy of mine TSG is owned by a company called east west consolidated which has the same address. This company has a NIJ listed level III steel plate identical to the one TSG sells which had it's NIJ cert pulled for a bit in 2017. Both companies are owned by a man named Yan Wang. East West Consolidated is an importer of air soft gear. And here's the real kicker, the factories that they contract with are state run by the PLA, which means when you buy either their cheap tactical gear or TSG plates you are indirectly supporting the people's liberation army of China.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure what to believe at this point. On the other hand, here is a USA made level III PE plate for $150.

https://covered6.com/product/covered-6-lvl-iii-rifle-plates/

Covered 6 offer's their level III PE plate for less than TSG. Perhaps TSG is capable of getting it done here in the USA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]
@10mm_ has tested some of the Scorpion products.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what to believe at this point. On the other hand, here is a USA made level III PE plate for $150.

https://covered6.com/product/covered-6-lvl-iii-rifle-plates/

Covered 6 offer's their level III PE plate for less than TSG. Perhaps TSG is capable of getting it done here in the USA.
View Quote
What if that cover 6 plate is both not NIJ certified and made in China as well. It's worth noting that it never actually says made in US, and never says that it is NIJ certified, only that it was tested to NIJ standards by two labs. Cover 6 doesn't have a single NIJ listed product on the compliant armor list.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What if that cover 6 plate is both not NIJ certified and made in China as well. It's worth noting that it never actually says made in US, and never says that it is NIJ certified, only that it was tested to NIJ standards by two labs. Cover 6 doesn't have a single NIJ listed product on the compliant armor list.
View Quote
I am certain the Covered 6 plate is not made in China or sourced from Chinese materials because I personally know the owner and I have seen his entire operation. They are an excellent group of current or retired LE/Military personnel. I don't want to argue the legitimacy of Covered 6's PE plate. I use their level III PE plate as an example here because it is an excellent comparison to TSG, given the circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I recently bought a set of TSG 10X12 Extreme 3+ plates.  I went to their shop to pick them up since I wanted to confirm sizing for my carrier and live a short ways away in NC.

I cant vouch for their materials sourcing but everything was being put together in house and they were more than helpful with me.  I am pleased with my purchase. and believe it will stop what it claims to on their website.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
TSG is made in USA and GTG.  Everything I have tested from them has been great, the Extreme plates are fantastic protection for the weight/size.

They make excellent products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top