Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2020 8:40:26 PM EDT
I’m deciding to use my 1943 Underwood M1 carbine in the LRR (Light Recon Rifle) role for perimeter defense and scouting missions:

I added an Ultimak rail in place of the wood handguard mated with a SIG Sauer Romeo 5 RDS and A.R.M.S #31 QD mount that allows for a fast transition to irons if needed. A Magpul MS1 2-point sling works very well with the carbine and a WW2 vintage buttstock mag pouch allows for two 15 round reloads should the 30 round magazine not be enough. This brings the on-gun capacity to 60 rounds. I’m running Hornady Critical Defense loads which are quite potent and effective to approx. 200 meters.

This setup makes for a compact and well balanced quickly deployable weapons system platform to overmatch enemy assets in low-intensity conflicts and excels as a patrol or urban combat platform. Just thought I’d share.

-Burlin out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would shoot that in your scenario any day. Ultimak makes good gear, and that's about as simple a rig as you could want. What kind of accuracy are you getting with the Hornady ammo?

@Earl_Burlin
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Loookkkkinggg gggoooooddd

I tried shooting my "Tac" Carbine today, damn battery in my red dot went dead in the Vortex Sparc 1 I'm using and of course no spares in my range bag.

I did shoot my Plainfield M-1 Carbine today, decent day there (1 FTE, I'm getting new springs from Fulton for the bolt).....the bad news.....I dropped it on the plastic butt plate Plainfield used and chipped the plate.

I've ordered a generic replacement from Brownells that I can sand to fit. I've got a spare USGI stock but it needs some minor fitting for the commercial Plainfield and I hate to mess with it. Better to just replace the cheap plastic Plainfield butt plate with a cheap Brownells one
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Ruger Mini14 in a similar setup.  its a 16 inch NRA model, Ultimak rail, Burris FastFire II, with a piece of rail forward on the left side of the stock for a light. its a ball to shoot. its about the size of a M1 Carbine, but it shoots the ammo of an AR.  whats not to like.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]Quoted:[/
https://i.postimg.cc/ZK4GdL8h/959-E4-A9-F-BBEA-4-DC7-81-FF-BA5-B170-E6035.jpg

This setup makes for a compact and well balanced quickly deployable weapons system platform to overmatch enemy assets in low-intensity conflicts and excels as a patrol or urban combat platform

-Burlin out.
View Quote

Dude, you should write ad copy for gun makers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it. Handy little set up. Might do the same thing to one of the carbines we are building
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm....

*Bookmarks thread*
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm, I’ve been debating a setup like this ever since I saw the LG article on them. Nice to see someone on here has done it as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm, I’ve been debating a setup like this ever since I saw the LG article on them. Nice to see someone on here has done it as well.
View Quote

I've had mine set up like this for months now. It's a "switch hitter", I can also run this stock on it.

That's going to be my "truck gun" for the next couple weeks. Normal sized AR is bulky IMO and I've avoided AR pistols because I always expected the ATF to get cute with them. That rig folds up nice, fits in a gym bag and will stop someone out to 200 yards.

I like the wood stock for range work, the Choate stock adds 3 inches to the length and changes the "feel" of the Carbine
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Several years ago, I acquired a Plainfield that had a bulged barrel.  Mostly USGI parts, not historic so not real worried about historical accuracy.

Bought one of those demilled USGI barrels (cut to about 15 to 16”).  By the time I had the barrel squared off an threaded for an M16A1 flash hider, it came out to just over 16”.  Pined and welded, without a bayonet mount.

While I was removing the barrel, I discovered a crack in the receiver.  Found a pretty decent  National Postal Meter receiver as a replacement.

Put the upper in one of those repo M1A1 stocks with an Utimak upper hand guard and a Primary Arms red dot site.

Makes a pretty handy and decent truck gun.

I think I have a picture somewhere, I’ll try to dig it up.

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Here it is, minus the Ultimak and sight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, got my "Tac" Carbine to the range again today. I needed to tweak the red dot after I noticed the slide on my "Howachester" , a M-2 Style Type VI was rubbing against the back of the Ultimak mount. I moved it forward just enough to make sure it cleared the mount while cycling

Type VI at the bottom. I also think it could have been the reason I was getting more failure to ejects than I had before I mounted the Ultimak.

125 rounds here, 1st 10 rounds go in the 7 ring high (9, the one at 9 o'clock is a flyer on my part). I dial elevation down then start walking it up the next 15 rounds to center mass.

The next 75 rounds actually get kind of boring, their all going in the big hole in the middle of the target The last 25 rounds I decide to test a new KCI mag I bought last week in a 10 pack order from AIM. It runs fine 1 5 round test and 2 10 round checks.

Gun ran like a jackrabbit today, no issues. Next week I'll take more ammo, this thing is fun to shoot
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Move the sight forward so grease/oil doesn't dirty the eyepiece. Don't ask me how i know...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m deciding to use my 1943 Underwood M1 carbine in the LRR (Light Recon Rifle) role for perimeter defense and scouting missions:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZK4GdL8h/959-E4-A9-F-BBEA-4-DC7-81-FF-BA5-B170-E6035.jpg

I added an Ultimak rail in place of the wood handguard mated with a SIG Sauer Romeo 5 RDS and A.R.M.S #31 QD mount that allows for a fast transition to irons if needed. A Magpul MS1 2-point sling works very well with the carbine and a WW2 vintage buttstock mag pouch allows for two 15 round reloads should the 30 round magazine not be enough. This brings the on-gun capacity to 60 rounds. I’m running Hornady Critical Defense loads which are quite potent and effective to approx. 200 meters.

This setup makes for a compact and well balanced quickly deployable weapons system platform to overmatch enemy assets in low-intensity conflicts and excels as a patrol or urban combat platform. Just thought I’d share.

-Burlin out.

Move the sight forward so grease/oil doesn't dirty the eyepiece. Don't ask me how i know...

Mines in about the same position. What would help Earl is a cover of some kind like I have on my red dot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
At first I thought heresy, but by the time I read through the comments I'm now thinking I like the idea.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At first I thought heresy, but by the time I read through the comments I'm now thinking I like the idea.
View Quote

The good thing is unless you have to modify your stock it's not a permanent thing. That'll depend on what style stock you have. Mine had a M-2 style "potbelly" stock that has extra wood in the area where the Ultimak clamps on the barrel.

I had to dremal out my stock (both the wood and Choate stocks) to just under were the barrel band goes into the wood. If your stock is like the one in the upper part of that photo you should have no troubles.

I shot another 100 rounds through mine again today (nice weather), no issues
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I've noticed 1 thing everyone using one of these needs to watch for.

My Ultimak seems to work it way forward till the barrel band stops it the past couple range trips. I've reset it tonight and used red lock tight on the set screws again. I'd used that when I first put it on but didn't reapply it when I tweaked it the other day.

What I did and suggestion is use the barrel band as a stop when you mount it instead of mounting all the way "back" as I did the 1st time.

I'll have to tweak the red dot again, but then that's 1/2 the fun in shooting sometimes
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, another trip with the Tacticool Carbine.

I figured the loose rail had screwed my zero up, 1st 5 rounds on the high side. I dial it down a couple clicks and the next 50 rounds go where there supposed to

75 rounds this target, kind of boring when you think about it. Except for a couple flyers that were my fault everything is going in the "X" ring
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Yugo SKS, chopped down to 16" and re-crowned.

My version of your setup.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top