Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2021 12:36:00 AM EDT
I found out about these from another thread and was wonder what the thoughts were on them. I know that Esstac kywis are what everyone say are the best but I like the idea of having the flap, I had an issues with a few mag coming out of a HSGI taco even with the cord pulled tight. This looks like the best of both worlds. Any thoughts?

Tactical Tailor double mag pouch
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Those flaps add extra weight and are a PITA to navigate under stress or when cycling through magazines.

KYWIS are secure. Much more secure than HSGI Tacos.  Pick up a double pistol KYWI to test out. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those flaps add extra weight and are a PITA to navigate under stress or when cycling through magazines.

KYWIS are secure. Much more secure than HSGI Tacos.  Pick up a double pistol KYWI to test out. You won't be sorry.
View Quote
please tell me you are trolling about the extra weight part of your comment.

As for the pouches, Depends on the mags. My Kywis I’ve been using without fail for glock mags do not retain my M17 mags at all, and I’d recommend something more.

Now with gear we also look at the tactics of employment. Something like a pistol pouch, I’d stage at the last covered and concealed while prepping my gear before actually going into an objective. For home defense, that means I’d have one flap prepped. The tactical tailor ones actually add a bit of tension inside the pouch if you tuck the flap in behind the mag. For a comp, I’d do the same. In the real world, I always undo the bungee retention on my first mag on the left and that’s where I’d take the flap off my first pistol mag pouch and secure it to the Velcro.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I am looking to put one double pouch on a first line belt, don't think the weight of two flaps will be an issue. I planned on staging the flap open on the first mag so the insert would then retain the mag.

I am using M&P mags or Beretta mags and they tend to be a bit more slick than polymer mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using TT stuff for a few years now for Run and Guns.  I really like their "magna mag" pouches.  The magnet in it will retain even Glock mags sufficiently, I don't use the flaps.  It doesn't work with Magpul Glock mags though- since they don't have a metal liner.

I run a double pistol mag holder on my belt, and a triple on my chest rig.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want flaps, get them. I ran that exact pouch for years. You can even tuck the flaps back and run it as an open top.
I moved away to an Eagle FB pouch (Which also has flaps)

Just not a fan of Malice clips.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I went and ordered 4 Eagle Industries M9 Single FB Mag pouches from flebay at $7.50 each new unissued. I like how the flaps fold out of the way to the front.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went and ordered 4 Eagle Industries M9 Single FB Mag pouches from flebay at $7.50 each new unissued. I like how the flaps fold out of the way to the front.
View Quote

Good choice and excellent price. You will like them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Mid length esstac Kywis have great retention. You can shake them vigorously.  I TRIED to make them fall and couldn't. I love them so much more than tacos and don't want to think about a strap under stress.

ETA: This is for 2 Glock 19 mags and 2 5.56 mags. Aluminum or Pmag.  I see where you say you have metal mags, and I haven't tried those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top