[#2]
$8200, I'll show my broke ass out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, me too, but still... it’s awesome that they’ve got it available to “vetted” normies again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch, yes maybe I’m not ready quite yet

Still, awesome that these will be available now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, just the fact that it is an option now is cool as hell.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not just government customers or "special snowflakes" who leverage connections and back-door deals to get items that others can't have so they can "flex" online.
View Quote

So if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, you're saying the GPNVGs you've been posting photos of with the ECOTI will be available for us to buy soon too?

EDIT - also, my wallet shudders to think of the price of "the Optics 1 6-Cell GPS-enabled External Battery Pack" - going to be carrying that too, or just the CR123-housing ECOTI itself? The SolSys press release looked like there were two separate ECOTI units with/without battery tubes. Is there any compatibility with the older COTI battery pack options?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, we get it, the ECOTI's not cheap unfortunately, but it's the latest and greatest military technology--and there's the added wrinkle of the fact that we can't buy it cheaper than the government gets it, and Optics 1 has picked up a lot of big contracts recently, which is why they became restricted in the first place.

Previously they were available commercially largely through what was a "loophole" in their distribution system that they closed just when demand started going up--so instead of licking our wounds, we've been working since then to not only get them made available again, but as factory direct partners and exclusive, authorized commercial distributors.

As many who participate here already know, we're not only retailers at TNVC, but while many of us come from professional end-user communities, we are first and foremost enthusiasts--we're in this business because we love it and we want to share it, not just to make money.

When restrictions are imposed on us by manufacturers it breaks our hearts, because we see badass technology that we are not allowed to sell to commercial customers, to all legal U.S. citizens and patriots because even though night vision and thermal are not covered under the Second Amendment explicitly, as warfighters and armed professionals, we understand intimately the advantages and capabilities that these technologies offer any lawfully armed citizen.

Unfortunately some technologies are restricted by law and regulations, and we can no more openly sell these to commercial customers than a firearms manufacturer can sell select-fire weapons to the general public, as much as we may want to. However, for other products, where no legal restrictions exist, we have and will always work tirelessly to make them available to all consumers and citizens, not just government customers or "special snowflakes" who leverage connections and back-door deals to get items that others can't have so they can "flex" online.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, me too, but still... it’s awesome that they’ve got it available to “vetted” normies again.

Yep, we get it, the ECOTI's not cheap unfortunately, but it's the latest and greatest military technology--and there's the added wrinkle of the fact that we can't buy it cheaper than the government gets it, and Optics 1 has picked up a lot of big contracts recently, which is why they became restricted in the first place.

Previously they were available commercially largely through what was a "loophole" in their distribution system that they closed just when demand started going up--so instead of licking our wounds, we've been working since then to not only get them made available again, but as factory direct partners and exclusive, authorized commercial distributors.

As many who participate here already know, we're not only retailers at TNVC, but while many of us come from professional end-user communities, we are first and foremost enthusiasts--we're in this business because we love it and we want to share it, not just to make money.

When restrictions are imposed on us by manufacturers it breaks our hearts, because we see badass technology that we are not allowed to sell to commercial customers, to all legal U.S. citizens and patriots because even though night vision and thermal are not covered under the Second Amendment explicitly, as warfighters and armed professionals, we understand intimately the advantages and capabilities that these technologies offer any lawfully armed citizen.

Unfortunately some technologies are restricted by law and regulations, and we can no more openly sell these to commercial customers than a firearms manufacturer can sell select-fire weapons to the general public, as much as we may want to. However, for other products, where no legal restrictions exist, we have and will always work tirelessly to make them available to all consumers and citizens, not just government customers or "special snowflakes" who leverage connections and back-door deals to get items that others can't have so they can "flex" online.

~Augee

The fact that I can’t afford one isn’t you guys fault, I’m just happy y’all made it available
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

Can you share with us what this “vetting” process looks like? Just showing ID? Or do we have to have a police chief sign off or something?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can you share with us what this “vetting” process looks like? Just showing ID? Or do we have to have a police chief sign off or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Another good point
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why we are born with 2 kidneys, one is for buying ecoti
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember when the "loophole" guys got theirs, there were some comments about the differences in operation with the Coti and the E-Coti.

The Coti is pretty damn instinctive to use, once you've had it for a couple of hours.  How's the E?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Seriously jelly
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

But very cool
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's why we are born with 2 kidneys, one is for buying ecoti
View Quote

Makes total sense.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote
I see you guys agreed to pre buy the Ecotis from Safran. Did yall not choose to make the minimum buy on the Moskito Ti?  Some of us would love to buy one of those.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But very cool
View Quote

Yes it is, makes me want, but I might as well save for dual thermals. The Coti I have fills the roll nicely, although 640 and wider FOV would be sexy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
whats the calibration process like for getting the projected thermal image to line up with your nvg? how rigid is the mount between the two?

the technology looks awesome, but for this price point, id rather they just make it $10k and combine it with a pvs14 in a single housing thats lighter and more compact
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The mount is pretty rigid and in genera there’s no real calibration “process,” the factory offset settings are already programmed more or less for infinity focus, and the mounts ensure proper alignment of the image that usually matches up without adjustments.

That being said, the offsets can be manually adjusted in the menu if you want to tweak them beyond factory settings.

Regarding combining it into a single housing... that’s essentially what the AN/PSQ-20 ENVG is, which has a pricetag in the $20,000 range (the ENVGs are largely being discontinued for the ENVG-Bs, which are, as you might expect, even more expensive), and is neither lighter nor more compact than a PVS-14 with an ECOTI.

Moreover, most dedicated Fusion systems require specialized powered mount interfaces that means more added cost. Finally, there are obviously advantages and disadvantages to dedicated thermal units versus the ECOTI, however one of the advantages to having the thermal channel as a separate, stand alone unit, as dedicated units tend to be extremely complex and difficult to maintain, and a small problem can end up deadlining the entire unit, leaving you with no night vision at all while it is being repaired.

Another advantage of course is that dedicated fusion manufacturers have yet to authorize direct commercial sales of fusion units to consumers with full support, though gray market units exist on the market.

Again, while we understand that the price might cause sticker shock for some, the ECOTI really is the least expensive, lightest, and least complex way to get this level of capability, whether you’re talking about government-only restricted systems or commercially available systems.

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks for the detailed, informative reply!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Lol, you missed the part where they are only available for "vetted" civilians...  Fucking lame/they only have 12.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol, you missed the part where they are only available for "vetted" civilians...  Fucking lame/they only have 12.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The vetting process is described above.

It’s pretty damn tame.
https://tnvc.com/shop/optics1-e-coti/
It's in the product listing, but since we can't link direct to our website here:

- You need to sign an ITAR acknowledgement that you understand and agree to comply with ITAR and the penalties for violation

- You must submit proof of U.S. citizenship and photo ID (e.g., either a passport or driver's license and social security card)

- Your billing and shipping name and address will all need to match (to prevent third-party purchases and/or re-mailing services)

- Adult signature required for delivery (which we do for all night vision and thermal anyways)
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Yall need to jump on this e-coti.  I got in on the last batch before they decided to only sell to .gov and I’m so happy I did.   These are much better than the older PAS29 units.  640x480 sensors.  I got a couple of mounts so I could move it between the filmless WP Sentinels and my PVS14 that I setup on RQE bridge with my Skeet-IRX.  You really can’t hide with I2 fused with thermal via the e-coti.  I see every living thing within visual range without magnification.

Here it is on my sentinels.

And on my poor man’s fusion rig. ;)

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's in the product listing, but since we can't link direct to our website here:

- You need to sign an ITAR acknowledgement that you understand and agree to comply with ITAR and the penalties for violation

- You must submit proof of U.S. citizenship and photo ID (e.g., either a passport or driver's license and social security card)

- Your billing and shipping name and address will all need to match (to prevent third-party purchases and/or re-mailing services)

- Adult signature required for delivery (which we do for all night vision and thermal anyways)

Optics 1 is understandably cautious about this product getting into the wrong hands, so they want to make sure that they and we all do our due diligence to prevent that from happening as a condition of making them commercially available.

The accessories are... priced in line with the unit itself.

But yes, we will have them all available, including the GPS-enabled battery pack.

And no, unfortunately, the ECOTI power supply is not compatible with the COTI.

The mounting brackets are compatible, and the eyepiece adapter will work with the ECOTI, but it will only give you a 20 degree FOV--there is another, more expensive 30 degree eyepiece adapter for the ECOTI/ECOSI.

~Augee
View Quote

so the vetting process/paperwork/forms happen when you place order or do you have to be pre-approved?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
in...

don't see the accessories yet.

thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I only see the ecoti mounted to a pvs14 or duals, can it be attached to any scopes or any rifle? Or would a trijicon hogs get or reapr be a better option than that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I only see the ecoti mounted to a pvs14 or duals, can it be attached to any scopes or any rifle? Or would a trijicon hogs get or reapr be a better option than that.
View Quote

I cannot speak to the ECOTI but I have seen pictures of the old COTI attached to the scope on an AUG and recently to a PVS-30. As I recall there was a list of scope mounts that the COTI could attach to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top