Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 8:29:31 PM EDT
Pretty much what the title says. I'm just curious as to the usual specs people are getting with the non filmless white phosphor systems. My next purchase later in the year will be some filmless white phosphor stuff, but in the mean time I'm stuck using my 2 gen2+ pvs-14's and an OPMOD gen3A and I'm just wondering  how "outgunned" I am lol. My OPMOD has great clarity with 64lp res and 29.9 sn. Just wondering what's out there and I understand TNVC is the gold standard.

What I'm working with....
Signal to noise : 29.9
Resolution : 64 LP/MM
Halo : 0.91
EBI : 0.99
Luminous : 2283
Radiant : 259
FOM : 1913.6
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The minimum specs are on the website with each product. Just expect those so you will not be dissapointed.

Last time I ordered, everyone was mentioning higher specs were the usual and thus my standards were elevated. My tubes came in with specs lower than the "usual" but higher than the minimum so it left me feeling a bit dissapointed.

You can also request higher spec tubes at njo additional charge but an increase in wait time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The minimum specs are on the website with each product. Just expect those so you will not be dissapointed.

Last time I ordered, everyone was mentioning higher specs were the usual and thus my standards were elevated. My tubes came in with specs lower than the "usual" but higher than the minimum so it left me feeling a bit dissapointed.

You can also request higher spec tubes at njo additional charge but an increase in wait time.
View Quote
I did look at the minimum specs, and also other companies. I was just curious about the actual numbers people are actually getting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What tube brands are you looking at? We have L3 and Harris with the L3 on average having higher specs than Harris as of late 25-30 S/N. The Harris tubes systems are close from 24-29 S/N. These are averages with some coming in higher. Most cannot differentiate between 4-5 value points.

What both our units have in common is our 10 year bumper to bumper warranty and we build all the TNV-14's in house to control all QA aspects (thus we have very low return rates)  The  Night Enforcer is factory built from Harris. Most others company's get their units built from other build houses such as your current system and simply re-sell by having the build company builder place the end user company sticker on them. We also have many dealers but we do not allow that business practice of re-marking.  It's just our policy.

Either way you have a good tube numbers wise. Enjoy and thank you.
View Quote
Once finances allow this summer,  I plan to look for a dual system. As of this moment,  I bridge two pvs-14's but as I'm sure you're well aware of, it's certainly not light weight. My wife looked through my gen3 and this was her first experience with night vision and she has the same reaction as myself which was simple put as "holy shit!" Lol. I plan to get her a dual system later in the year now that I have her hooked. I've been looking at the Sentinel with dovetail mount @ 20.8oz or the DTNVG @ 18.8oz. I'm thinking the difference in price is more or less going to be the deciding factor. 2oz for $651.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much what the title says. I'm just curious as to the usual specs people are getting with the non filmless white phosphor systems. My next purchase later in the year will be some filmless white phosphor stuff, but in the mean time I'm stuck using my 2 gen2+ pvs-14's and an OPMOD gen3A and I'm just wondering  how "outgunned" I am lol. My OPMOD has great clarity with 64lp res and 29.9 sn. Just wondering what's out there and I understand TNVC is the gold standard.

View Quote
You are not outgunned as far as user-detectable tube performance.  All your specs are between very good and great.  I really, really like my high-spec TNVC L3 filmless autogated white phosphor PVS-14 but when I compared it to my ITT Pinnacle that I already had, it was difficult to tell much difference aside from the color obviously.  That ITT Pinnacle had lower specs than the unit you currently have, and considerably lower specs than the L3.  I realize you are asking specifically about an L3 filmed unit, but the perceived difference aside from color will likely be minimal.  I have owned a pile of NVDs, I would just stick with what you have if it were me.  That is, unless you just want to buy something new for the hell of it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you're pretty much going off the specs, as a determiner for what you actually need.  There were a couple of threads awhile back about this stuff (as in "do specs really matter"?)  I think it's a matter of actually comparing the various specs, in your field setting, to determine whether the higher specs are actually value-added, for you, or just for bragging rights on the NV forum.

Granted the newer stuff is pretty good, but the larger question is: does the stuff you now have work well for you, or is an upgrade really needed?

For example, I have 10-year old gen III -14's, which work really well for me in my particular application.  So do I really need the upgrade?  Probably not, especially with lots of other priorities.

But do I really want L3 Filmless WP goodness in my -14 housing?  Fucking A skippy.  If a rich uncle dies or something.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, you're pretty much going off the specs, as a determiner for what you actually need.  There were a couple of threads awhile back about this stuff (as in "do specs really matter"?)  I think it's a matter of actually comparing the various specs, in your field setting, to determine whether the higher specs are actually value-added, for you, or just for bragging rights on the NV forum.

Granted the newer stuff is pretty good, but the larger question is: does the stuff you now have work well for you, or is an upgrade really needed?

For example, I have 10-year old gen III -14's, which work really well for me in my particular application.  So do I really need the upgrade?  Probably not, especially with lots of other priorities.

But do I really want L3 Filmless WP goodness in my -14 housing?  Fucking A skippy.  If a rich uncle dies or something.
View Quote
As far as "need", I have that covered. At this point I'm just going to go through the "chasing super tubes" phase and get it out of my system haha.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Same here. I have 2 PVS14's from TNVC with good tubes. But I want to step up to a WP Filmless with excellent/super specs. But without knowing the specs beforehand, I havnt pulled the trigger. I don't want to spend the $4500-5K to get something a little tiny bit better than what I have... The only time I have seen specs posted is on the rare blem tubes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are not outgunned as far as user-detectable tube performance.  All your specs are between very good and great.  I really, really like my high-spec TNVC L3 filmless autogated white phosphor PVS-14 but when I compared it to my ITT Pinnacle that I already had, it was difficult to tell much difference aside from the color obviously.  That ITT Pinnacle had lower specs than the unit you currently have, and considerably lower specs than the L3.  I realize you are asking specifically about an L3 filmed unit, but the perceived difference aside from color will likely be minimal.  I have owned a pile of NVDs, I would just stick with what you have if it were me.  That is, unless you just want to buy something new for the hell of it.  YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Similar experience.  The biggest difference I see is less eye fatigue with WP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top