Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2022 11:08:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Training]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My Thoughts/Takeaways
I’m no gunhand, but I’ve taken a fair amount of courses over the years. I can say with no hesitation or exaggeration that this was the best course I’ve ever taken. Hands down. The instructors were charismatic, engaging, and most of all knowledgeable. All three instructors had the technical data and real world examples to give us the “why” behind the “what”. Almost every moment of the course was filled with meaningful learning, even between drills and evolutions, the instructors had pearls of wisdom and helpful anecdotes for the students.  The student cadre was squared away, with little to no safety issues that I saw.

Alliance is my home away from home. I love that place. Joe W and Cory are amazing people and don’t get enough recognition.

There was so much to learn and I felt like a sponge the entire time. Early on in the course, Chip and the AIs discussed how this course was not meant to be a ‘Rifle 101 with the lights off’. The daylight drills were done with purpose and each served to be a building block on the next POI. And each POI was grounded or directed towards ensuring the student could work comfortably in the dark.

Having jammed mags prior to class was a HUGE help. Downtime was spent hydrating or soaking up more info from the cadre of students and/or instructors.  

If there was one thing I would recommend to the cadre for addition to the course is a little bit of one on one time to make sure my nods and helmet and overall system is setup in the best way. Are my nods too far forward? Is my eye relief good? Do my nods need to be mounted higher or lower? That kinda thing. This point might actually be a time suck and end up causing students to miss out on or compress some other POI so I’m not gonna be sad if someone says it’s a dumb idea or whatever.

Thanks to all the sponsors, thanks to TNVC, thanks to the instructors, thanks to Alliance PD (Joe and Cory!) and thanks to the students for such a great environment to learn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Where are these events advertised?

I was literally across town that same night this past weekend doing some of my own night-shooting.  I’d love to attend.  I’ll be shooting in the dark again this weekend with any luck if my schedule allows.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the multiple posts, 2000 character limit for "new accounts". Mia culpa

To start, I have to say even though I'm knowledgeable with effectively manipulating firearms correctly, I've never had any formal instruction paid for out of pocket, prior to this course. After attending this weekend, I know what I've been missing by not courses like these with such dedicated instruction. Going forward, it's going to be hard taking a course that tops the level of instruction as in NF 101.  

The input by TNVC and the instructors who facilitated teaching the curriculum for Nightfighter 101 did an exponential job. Chip, Joe and Matt put forth a number of their own life's experiences, where they were able to tie those experiences in with the the topics taught.

From the importance of the basic fundamentals, to appearance while carrying a rifle, competency, to the "load and make ready" ritual. The time each of the instructors spent assisting and making sure each student understood each drill was great. Things like mechanical offset as well as correcting issues with some people who had parallel zero, changing it to a converging zero showed the true passion the instructors had for teaching and promoting their ideology.

To start out having students doing smaller tasks under NODs, in a shoot house, helped with understanding the advantages and disadvantages of NODs was great.  Conducting drills unaided in the late afternoon, finally culminating in doing the same drills under NODs was a great way to run the course. The amount of information provided by the instructors over two day weekend was a lot, but not overwhelming.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Mechanical and laser offsets, are super important at being fast yet effective and accurate, always being able to control of the fire controls and having awareness for your surroundings, to the importance of red dot sights on pistols. There seemed to be an endless amount of information provided. Everyone appeared to be open minded and absorbing all details provided by instructors through the duration of the course.

Furthermore, it was quite evident that the instructors were very friendly and subject matter experts. It was clear the instructors knew each subject they were instructing in detail.  It was awesome they weren't cocky about it, like I've heard some instructors just talk and boost their ego and talk about themselves. Each drill had it's purpose and served its function going forward with the next drill, leading to the night drills where we it all was tied together. And as we were told, "if you can do it in the dark, you can do it in the day". This is definitely a true statement and I can understand why when Chip explained, doing everything under the cover of darkness is a "litmus" test for night ops.

There was a great mix of students in the course, civilians and law enforcement, that was nice to. I believe the firearms safety and handling of all the students in the course was excellent. Not one student accidentally lasered each other or anything that is seen at shooting ranges or any sheer stupidity. The student cadre was safe and squared away. Additionally, the Alliance Training facility itself was awesome!
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have nothing negative to say about the course or instruction by any means. I do wish each student had their own target and there could be more time running drills, instead of having two relays. Of course some of the instruction we had was buddy drills where we were paired up with another student and I thought that was fantastic. I do concur with the former post above that some quick one on one with an instructor/student would be beneficial if there was time for that, to hear their opinions on gear choice and gear layout even though it's different for each individual.

I'd like to thank TNVC and their sponsors for making this possible, that goes for Bill constantly every email back and fourth; Chip, Joe and Matt for being top notch instructors (no BS here), Joe W. and Cory for being there on behalf of the Alliance Police Training Facility, the cadre of the other students in the course.

I look forward to taking other courses suggested by the instructors, as well as NF 201 in the fall!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top