Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2019 3:23:42 AM EDT
So my boy is interested in a 96 Swedish Mauser. We looked at a couple at the last gun show and he is saving his money up to buy one. I know nothing about them. Poor kid loves milsurps I told him he was born about 25 years too late. Lol. Anyway anything special to look for when looking at the rifles? Anything to stay away from? We appreciate any help you guys have to offer
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my boy is interested in a 96 Swedish Mauser. We looked at a couple at the last gun show and he is saving his money up to buy one. I know nothing about them. Poor kid loves milsurps I told him he was born about 25 years too late. Lol. Anyway anything special to look for when looking at the rifles? Anything to stay away from? We appreciate any help you guys have to offer
View Quote
This FAQ is worth reading, it's English.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/rifles_se/faq_se_rifles.htm

and more info here:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/swedish_mauser.htm

The stock brass disk punch marks can be decoded to tell you barrel groove diameter as well as level of barrel pitting -- when it was sold by Sweden.  Once it was worn out the barrel would be replaced.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve not ever seen a ragged out Swede and even if the outside had handling marks , the bores were usually nice.

It’s a very nice Mauser and I think one of the nicest along with some South American models.  The long rifle is probably easiest to shoot , but the shorter models are not bad really.

I missed out on a nice M41b last month , dang it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Swedish Mausers are some of the best ever made GENERALLY SPEAKING. The Swedes are and have been good metallurgists for a long time. If the gun is in decent shape you should be gtg.

2nd point. The 6.5x55 cartridge is one of several cartridges that possess an uncanny level of accuracy and performance. It fits into a node where bullet diameter to bullet weights yield excellent sectional density (read deep penetration in large game), long range stability and accuracy, from a moderate to light recoiling cartridge/rifle combo. I regret not buying one back about 30 years ago when a ton of them were being imported.

Encourage your son's interests
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
both at above are really valid points...

Out of all the calibers I love the 6.5x55 Its accurate with mild recoil..

The biggest issue will be the rear sight..
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
While I still have to go through a ton of my recently passed away father's collection, he did buy some impressive Milsurp rifles back in the 80's and one of them was a 1916 Swede long rifle. Even at the tender age of 15, I knew what those stock discs meant... We went through a bunch of different ones at the shows that we frequented at that time. We finally found one with a near perfect bore (I think the coding on the disc was close to a zero?) and later I found out it was made with an elm stock (very light in color, almost blonde). Got that one for $125 out the door.. Nice rifle and haven't shot it since at least 1990 (and still have some of the Hansen brand ammo too). I think that if I was to put it on the market (not that I ever would) that the going rate would be around $800 to $900. When I pull it out, I will post pics as it's a REALLY nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you guys. I do encourage his love of old rifles. I think one of these Mausers might be a great fit for him. I do reload so I can start getting hm some brass dies etc stocked up. We will be looking for one at the next gun show. It is in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Check parts  for matching numbers. They stamped everything. The more the better. Do t rely on the stock risk to be accurate. It may have been shot a whole lot since it was arsenled. They are great shooters. I have 4 and each one shoots great. Expect to pay $500 to $550.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Last month my local shop had one on the back wall with swedish diopters both ends $800. Hard to remind myself I already have three swedes not shot for a while...

Very nice shooting guns. I just rarely shoot outside lately. City guy...
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
There were two of them at the last gun show. Hopefully the same guy will be at the next one in a couple weeks. Half the fun for the boy is picking the rifle out. We will also be on the look out for reloading supplies. Thank you again for the help
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Dutch doesn't post much here anymore. His website on the Swedish mauser is a jewel.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two of them and a remade Adams kit using the Swede 'Action' with new barrel and laminated stock.  I put a Burris 3-9 scole on it and it is my favorite hunting rifle.  In fact I would not hesitate using it as a sniper rifle if I had to. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
So long as its clean and not abused, he'll be happy.  They're great rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top