Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2022 4:52:34 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago the husband unit picked up several guns from an estate sale, and I promptly and "permanently borrowed" the 1915 Swedish M96. All matching EXCEPT the bolt, which was a bolt body of one serial and a homemade bent bolt complete with stress fractures, and the shroud, safety & firing pin another number. I had been wanting one to shoot vintage rifle matches with.

I got a NOS Husqvarna bolt body with a straight bolt to reconfigure to "as issued".

Then, this past weekend we were doing a gunshow and another vendor comes in before the show opened - I saw him get out of his truck with a rifle and moseyed on over to see. Turned out to be a 1942 Husky carbine with bayonet. Yep, got it. It has an old repair on the top of the stock, threaded muzzle with steel thread cap, electro penciled shroud & safety, but this one will be used without fear of range rash.

ETA: This one is all matching EXCEPT the stock, no worries - it's a shooter! And the bayonet has mismatched blade/hilt, only crown stamp on scabbard, no markings on well-used frog.

And THEN.... another vendor came up with a 1901 CG m96, seemed all matching at a quick glance. I asked what the circumstances were where this vendor came into possession of it. he said it came out of a long time collector's estate who passed away several years ago, and this vendor, another WII collector, had just never fooled with it since he got it and was paring down his collection.

Once I got them home, I was able to get closer looks, and the M96 appeared unfired, as far as I can tell, muzzle is not threaded, no wear showing on the feed ramp, follower, not a speck of carbon in the bore, chamber on the firing pin or inside the bolt body. This one probably won't be taken out often to the range.

So I went from 0 to 3 in less than a month. Was also lucky in finding 2 battle packs of SK ptr m/94 prj m/41 ammo. WOO HOO!

I've been doing lots of reading about these guns and learned a bit. Still have a looong way to go on my knowledge base for them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am quite jealous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well done.

IMHO the Swedes are absolutely the best Mauser rifles, bar none.  Smooth actions, great accuracy, and mild in recoil, you can't go wrong.
I have a 96/38 and it would be the last milsurp I would ever get rid of in my collection.  I shot a season of local service rifle competition with
with mine using nothing but surplus Swedish military ammo, back when it was plentiful.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my M96.  I really want to get a M38 sometime and would also like a m94 or m94/14 (but i doubt I ever will get one of those)

History of WWI Primer 124: Swedish Mauser 1896 Documentary
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my M96.  I really want to get a M38 sometime and would also like a m94 or m94/14 (but i doubt I ever will get one of those)
View Quote

I'm keeping an eye out for one of those M94s too!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm keeping an eye out for one of those M94s too!
View Quote

Found a 94/14 in the wild locally a few weeks back. Unfortunately it had meet Bubba.  Drilled & tapped. In a Monte Carlo stock & some other mall ninja shit. It seriously pissed me off.

Good score on the Swede's.  I love my M38. It's 100% matching, down to the wood. If you reload, I've had great results with 140gr Hornady ELD match bullets. I used Accurate 5744 despite all the people who poo poo it. PPU or Norma brass & plain Jane CCI primers.

Can never go wrong with an old Swede. Heck, most any of the old 6.5 rifles. The original M91 Carcano long rifle is a seriously under rated rifle (not the carbines, se of those got jacked barrels). I like my Carcano almost as much as my Swede.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifles! I have two myself. An M41/b and a formerly bubbaed M94. The rifle still have drilled holes for the scope mount, but I did what I could to put it back to military configuration. The M41/b I had complete, but I sent the scope in to be repaired, the repair guy had a massive heart attack and some guy came in to sell off his stuff. Well, I think he sold my scope off. I was in contact with the guy but he stopped responding. It pisses me off because they are impossible to find!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: A m38 with a silencer is a hoot yeah I found a thread adapter
View Quote

What thread were they cut? (I'm too lazy to take to the LGS today!  )
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top