Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 9:28:55 PM EDT
I need a little help deciding on my next milsurp purchase. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a Yugo M57 Tokarev, Bulgarian Makarov, or Polish P64. I owned a P64 that was missing a couple parts for a couple months but sold it because I couldn't source the parts I needed, so parts (in)availability is a point against the P64. I love Yugoslavian military history and surplus, as well as the Tokarev design and 7.62x25, but the Makarov is something I've never owned. As much as I don't want to add another caliber to my already large and diverse collection, I don't think Bulgarian Makarovs will be as available and cheap as they are now, but that can be said for any of these pistols. So that's where Arf comes in. My main question is which would tell choose if given the choice? And also, how big of a difference is there in overall size/concealability between the two 9x18 handguns?

TL;DR: can't decide between a Yugo Tokarev, Bulgarian Makarov, or Polish P64. Which would you choose and why?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mak's seem to have more value....

My buddy just put a Baikal commercial Mak on lawaway...I picked up a Chinese Tok in 9mm...I like it!

For pure "I like it" I would go with the Tok, I just like it better than a Mak, but that's just me...

FWIW I think the Yugo Tok's have the extra round, making the grip a little longer, which make them more comfortable in bigger hands than the standard Mak...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough call, but I'd give the edge to the M57.
I do not have a P64, but do have a Makarov (commercial), a couple CZ-82s (also 9x18), and Chinese, Russian, and Yugo Tokarevs. The M57's longer grip is significantly more comfortable than the original Tokarev design, the safety actually works, and the cartridge is far more interesting and fun than the 9x18.
As far as concealment, the Makarov and P64 seem much the same. Either would probably conceal better than the Tokarev, but the Tokarev is remarkably flat, and flatness counts for a whole lot in concealed carry. That said, there are much better choices for a carry gun than any of those three.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an M57 and an East German Mak.  The Mak is probably a better pistol, if you intended to carry it concealed.  I think I like shooting the M57 more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If I go with one of the 9x18s, they won't be an EDC carry pistol. Nothing can supplant my G17 as my carry gun, they'd be carried if I wanted/needed to carry a smaller gun.
I've owned a Tokarev before and enjoyed it, and already have a CZ52, so I already have 7.62 Tokarev on hand and know of the how great of a round 7.62x25 is.
I'm leaning heavily towards the M57, and it seems like y'all are as well. I will undoubtedly end up with a Makarov at some point though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the NEW selection of M57's from Classic.  They look very nice and have a revised trigger safety, like a Glock.  I have one of the older style with the added thumb safety, and LOVE it.  Looks like I will have to add another to the collection.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/zastava-m57-tokarev-yugo
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with the NEW selection of M57's from Classic.  They look very nice and have a revised trigger safety, like a Glock.  I have one of the older style with the added thumb safety, and LOVE it.  Looks like I will have to add another to the collection.

View Quote
Classic is who I am going to order the M57 from, mainly because they're the only place who has Yugo surplus M57's and not the commercial Serbian ones. The trigger safety is a huge plus too, since it doesn't permanently alter the frame.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a Mak anymore but I would say at this point to buy in this order M57, Mak and then P64

The M57 points really well and is really well made and a blast to shoot.

the Mak is just a good solid gun and so is the P83

The P64 is pain in a pretty package
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to hate my p64, but I shot it quite a bit last few years and come to really enjoy it. True it does have some recoil, but it is double action( needs a spring kit), decocker, safety is much nicer than the tokarev  and is accurate.

I have a m57 but prefer my Romanian Tok. I like the shorter grip, but that is a question of which fits the hand better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#10]
In true arf fashion I will ignore your choices and recommend something else.

Seriously though I'm loving the cz50 I bought recently. The little 32 is a blast to shoot. It about the same size as the p64 but weighs less. Be all James Bond like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In true arf fashion I will ignore your choices and recommend something else.

Seriously though I'm loving the cz50 I bought recently. The little 32 is a blast to shoot. It about the same size as the p64 but weighs less. Be all James Bond like.
View Quote
Well, if we're going to get all ARFcom-ish about it and switch to .32ACP, the Colt 1903 is a far better choice.
But the Savage 1907 is better still.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I've enjoyed Surplus Combloc firearms for most of my adult life. Being a kid in the 80's meant that we never thought we'd have a peaceful way of seeing them on our shores ;-)

I eventually let my cz52 and CZ82 go back to a buddy that loved them more than I did. My Polish Tokarev is a keeper. That said, I like my East German Makarovs the most out of the lot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
SOG has M57’s in stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the Bulgy MAK is the way to go. i see prices around 300-350 and mags around 15-25 per. The 9mm Mak isn't hard to find in non corrosive. The ammo is ok priced.  The pistol is a little on the heavy side but shoots really well. The fixed bbl helps with that. The only issue i saw was that people that shoot with both thumbs forward can some times hit the safety causing the pistol not to fire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Bulgy Mak.
Then Tok.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Chinese Tok in 9mm I just picked up...have a holster, spare mag, cleaning rod and lanyard coming, so it will be a complete rig...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a P64 and a Mak . Prefer the Mak but nothing wrong with the P64
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Classic is who I am going to order the M57 from, mainly because they're the only place who has Yugo surplus M57's and not the commercial Serbian ones. The trigger safety is a huge plus too, since it doesn't permanently alter the frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please let us know how the trigger safety is.  That is all that is holding me back from getting one, I don't want to be the test case for this.  The old one I have, with the thumb safety, has a SMOOTH but slightly heavy trigger.  Just wondering if this new trigger safety will cause a ROUGH trigger pull?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I like my Bulgarian makarov so much I carry it daily.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The only one of those three I've owned/shot is the P64. With the Wolff spring kit it is an excellent shooter in single action, double action pull is still quite horrible though. Great running little pistol. When I got it I bought 500 rounds to go with it. Shot all of that up and have purchased several 50 round boxes that I have shot through as well. Not a hiccup yet. And a very carryable gun. Turtle Creek makes a nice IWB leather holster that I bought for mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top