Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 3:17:00 PM EDT
I had I guess what I’d call a baffle “skim” with my Surefire SOCOM 762-RC on a Springfield M1A Loaded.  I ordered a pair of M14 mounts directly  from Surefire probably four plus years ago.  It took about 9 months for me to get them (they only make them in small runs).  I got them mounted upon my pair of Loaded M1A’s about 3.5 years ago.  Then I had a heart attack......  A six way bypass later and I couldn’t handle any real recoil due to having my chest cracked.  Anyway, I finally got the guts around to shooting the M1A’s again.  Took the stainless out before Christmas (weather was remarkably mild till this week) and shot it from the bench at 100.

Recoil was easy to handle with the SOCOM and cycling was smooth.  I do have a Sadlak NM spring guide and a TiN coated NM piston in the rifle.  My shots weren’t even hitting the paper and the rifle was zeroed previously.

After some more shooting at 25 I’m way off.  I investigate and I see some nicks on the endcap and a slight “brush” on the last three baffles.

I removed the flash hider today cause I was thinking maybe there was something on the muzzle tipping the flash hider.  The M14 mount uses small shims right off the muzzle as there is no barrel shoulder.  When I took it off the muzzle was fine.  Just a minor amount of carbon around the sides from this range trip.  Looked down in the muzzle device and noticed something amiss.  The shim was broken.

I’ve got a call into Surefire support and we’ll see what they say.  This was the first outing with this muzzle device and can on this rifle.  I’ve had this can on my AR10 as well as several AR15 SBR’s with no issues.

Rifle at the range before shooting:

After in the truck:

I was shooting PRVI M80 147gr FMJ.  Nothing special.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks. Maybe get a alignment rod to check if the mount makes the can unaligned.

Edit: I’m sure it’s the mount or the the barrel isn’t threaded concentric.  It’s just a gut feeling.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks. Maybe get a alignment rod to check if the mount makes the can unaligned.

Edit: I’m sure it’s the mount or the the barrel isn’t threaded concentric.  It’s just a gut feeling.
View Quote
I’m sure it’s because the shim is broken.  Oh, I’m definitely getting some alignment rods.  I eyeballed it before shooting (looked towards the breach face with the bolt locked open) and it looked good.  It was obviously not off by much due to the limited damage to the can.  I’m not happy but it sure could have been worse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That really sucks
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
O/T but is that the TNVC cheek riser? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
O/T but is that the TNVC cheek riser? How do you like it?
View Quote
Yes, that is the TNVC riser.  I like it a lot.  I keep my dope cards in the pouch and the riser works well.  I do have to say that with a spare mag in the pouch, a mag in the rifle, and the can on the end it’s a heavy beast!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke with Surefire today.  Sent them all the info and pictures.  There is rumbling about sending the can, mount, and of course shim in.  Guess we’ll see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Off topic, but what mount are you using for the optic?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Off topic, but what mount are you using for the optic?
View Quote
That’s an old ARMS #18 mount.  I’ve had it for years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you use a torque wrench?  I wouldnt even worry about perf3ct timing of a flash hider
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you use a torque wrench?  I wouldnt even worry about perf3ct timing of a flash hider
View Quote
No torque wrench.  Heard back from Surefire.  They are sending a shipping label so they can have a look at the can, mount, and shims.  They quoted a top price if there is no manufacturing defects.  We’ll see how this goes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use the cheapo pointer torque wrench.  Its surprising how little effort it takes to get inbetween the recommended 20 -30 ft/lbs
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck OP. But from the pics it doesn't look serious, just looks like the end cap was kissed. How bad do the baffles look?
Edit: re-read the OP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Nah, it's not too serious.  Just pissed as it's a pretty freaking expensive can.  Can is on it's way back to Surefire as we speak.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
@compuvette, what was surefire's quote to rebuild/repair?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@compuvette, what was surefire's quote to rebuild/repair?
View Quote
Originally it was the $650.  They gave me a different price after the pictures.  I’m not sure if it’s a public price so I’ll wait till I hear to discuss.  They’ll have the can this week.  I got the standard “if it is workmanship or material failure there will be no charge”.  To me it’s pretty obvious the shim failed.  I’m hoping they feel the same.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Called Surefire today.  It's in "inspection" stage.  I should hear something back from them in about a week or so.  Fingers crossed......
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I had them fix a 300SPS with an off-center baffle last year. Sent if off in late April, didn’t get it back till August

Best of luck
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
They contacted me today.  Stated “no defect in material and workmanship” in the suppressor.  Said it was a concentricity issue.  I called back in and left a voicemail.  I agreed it wasn’t a problem with the can.  The concentricity problem was caused by the shim (supplied with the mount) that broke.  It’s not like I  explained all that in the ticket or anything.  I hope I can get it straightened out.  Worst case I’ll just pay to have it fixed.  Way too expensive of a can to not repair it.

I’ll tell you this, when I get it all fixed and back, I’m not indexing the mount.  No shims for the M14 for me. With the way the mount goes over the barrel you can’t see what’s going on.  Way too easy apparently to have it messed up with a shim in there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]
That kind of sucks. I don’t think I’d even bother with a repair if it costs anything out of pocket for you. It’s unlikely to affect anything running as is (assuming you fix the concentricity issue). I’ve had a nasty chunk out of my end cap on a yhm titanium can for like a year, no issues. They told me they’d repair it for free and sent me an RMA, I’ve just not found it necessary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, and the shim was theirs that THEY provided with THEIR mount no? Any chance that the shim didn't seat all the way correctly and part of it ended up in front of the bore?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That kind of sucks. I don’t think I’d even bother with a repair if it costs anything out of pocket for you. It’s unlikely to affect anything running as is (assuming you fix the concentricity issue). I’ve had a nasty chunk out of my end cap on a yhm titanium can for like a year, no issues. They told me they’d repair it for free and sent me an RMA, I’ve just not found it necessary.
View Quote
Id get the mount/threads fixed, but I wouldnt pay for the can to be fixed either. I've got a baffle kiss on my sportsment too, if anything its quieter like the baffles are clipped now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I would NOT pay that much for a repair. Just take it to a good smith and have him open up the hole.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would NOT pay that much for a repair. Just take it to a good smith and have him open up the hole.
View Quote
I’d shoot it as is, not throwing good money after bad
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]
You should contemplate having the barrel chopped and threaded for a custom adapter, this is what I did and couldn't be happier. The barrel male thread will be something odd (doesn't matter), but the adapter will have a proper shoulder and standard 5/8x24 thread. The adapter is threaded concentric to the bore while installed on the rifle to ensure you won't have baffle strikes. It decreased the barrel length to just short of the factory grooves, which makes it a little handier with the can installed. I had Chris at Aquila Firearms work on mine but I would also trust Morgan at Class III Machining to do the work.

I see you are not using an adjustable gas plug but I have found it to work well with reducing blowback and bolt force. I also am using the gas lock front sight as I'm using open sights, not optics.
Gas Plug Purchased from Midway USA:
Schuster M1A Adjustable Gas Plug Steel Parkerized

Gas Lock Purchased from No Kick:
SEI-2013SEI M1A Gas Lock with Sight Dovetail for 18" barrels
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#25]
As much as I would like to own a Surefire Mini, this type of customer service will prevents me from ever making that purchase.  This is horrible in contrast to what SilencerCo, DeadAir, YHM, Rugged & Griffin have shown!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As much as I would like to own a Surefire Mini, this type of customer service will prevents me from ever making that purchase.  This is horrible in contrast to what SilencerCo, DeadAir, YHM, Rugged & Griffin have shown!
View Quote
They’re fat and happy on mil sales - ever tried to get in on their Black Friday sales? It’s a long running joke in GD
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn, and the shim was theirs that THEY provided with THEIR mount no? Any chance that the shim didn't seat all the way correctly and part of it ended up in front of the bore?
View Quote
Yes, that is correct.  Their shim provided with their mount.  I'm thinking you might be right about the shim getting in front of the bore.  I'm probably going to get it fixed as they quoted me $350 on the repair.  I hate not to get the $1k+ can fixed.

ETA - just spoke to Surefire.  They are re-evaluating.  The first test apparently is pretty straight forward.  Check the mating surfaces of the can and mount.  If they are O.K. then it's not a defect.

After I spoke directly to the rep they are going to try and replicate it in house with an M14 they have along with my can, mount, and broken shim to see if there is an alignment issue.  They said they'd get back to me today or tomorrow.  They originally suggested me shipping my rifle to them and I said no way am I sending my Springfield M1A to California.......

ETA2 - Got a return call from Surefire.  They are going to repair the can for 0 dollars as well as include a bore alignment rod.  The tech stated they'd have it back to me in less than 2 weeks.  He did have to talk to management to get it sorted.  I'm pretty happy with that!
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, that is correct.  Their shim provided with their mount.  I'm thinking you might be right about the shim getting in front of the bore.  I'm probably going to get it fixed as they quoted me $350 on the repair.  I hate not to get the $1k+ can fixed.

ETA - just spoke to Surefire.  They are re-evaluating.  The first test apparently is pretty straight forward.  Check the mating surfaces of the can and mount.  If they are O.K. then it's not a defect.

After I spoke directly to the rep they are going to try and replicate it in house with an M14 they have along with my can, mount, and broken shim to see if there is an alignment issue.  They said they'd get back to me today or tomorrow.  They originally suggested me shipping my rifle to them and I said no way am I sending my Springfield M1A to California.......

ETA2 - Got a return call from Surefire.  They are going to repair the can for 0 dollars as well as include a bore alignment rod.  The tech stated they'd have it back to me in less than 2 weeks.  He did have to talk to management to get it sorted.  I'm pretty happy with that!
View Quote
That's great!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now go buy some lotto tickets!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
EXCELLENTE!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:42:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Good deal OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I would call right now, and tell them I'm sending the stripped barreled receiver, so they can check everything, and do whatever is needed to get it right.
Then, if there's a problem, it's all on them.
As the suppressor was sent to them in California, also sending an easily replaceable rifle to them wouldn't worry me.
If absolutely necessary, have any competent gunsmith put an index line on the barreled action (for easy reassembly), pull the barrel, and just send that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Got the shipping info today.  Can is fixed and on it’s way home.  I’ll have it next week.  I’ll of course post pics when it’s home.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Got it back today.  Surefire included a new mount, a Surefire branded Geissele alignment rod, and of course my can.  She looks brand new other than the test fire.  Thanks much to Surefire!

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Good deal!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got it back today.  Surefire included a new mount, a Surefire branded Geissele alignment rod, and of course my can.  She looks brand new other than the test fire.  Thanks much to Surefire!

https://i.imgur.com/CVIBbfp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y2oUwhz.jpg
View Quote
Good stuff from Surefire!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:Got it back today.  Surefire included a new mount, a Surefire branded Geissele alignment rod, and of course my can.  She looks brand new other than the test fire.  Thanks much to Surefire!
View Quote
This type of feedback doesn’t align well with the usual hate for Surefire’s CS. Oh well, I’m glad they took good care of you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
What did the alignment rod tell you after installing the new mount?

If the OD of their shim is small enough to let it slide over far enough to obstruct the bore, they should really look at using a different shim. Even if slid all the way to one side or the other, it shouldn't be able to obstruct the bore.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad to see you were taken care of and that M1A is a beauty!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What did the alignment rod tell you after installing the new mount?

If the OD of their shim is small enough to let it slide over far enough to obstruct the bore, they should really look at using a different shim. Even if slid all the way to one side or the other, it shouldn't be able to obstruct the bore.
View Quote
I tried it with and without the shims.  Without the shims it was a little off center but not much.  With the shims it made it worse.  Not touching but close.  I'm going to clean everything really good again and put it back together without shims and see where we are.

I used a different method this time of putting the shims in.  I dropped them into the mount and made sure they were flat against the mount shoulder, then lowered the rifle into the mount.  When I put it together before I stacked the shims on the muzzle and screwed the mount down.  I think one of the shims caught and bent when I was putting it together before, hence it probably folding over the muzzle and breaking.  When I eyeballed it at the range prior to shooting I saw no bore obstruction though.

I checked my AR10 and it was dead nuts in the middle.  I also checked some other cans and rifles I've been using over the years.  Rem AAC-SD with a TBAC CB9 was to my eyeball perfectly centered.  AAC MPW9 with an ASR mounted Omega was pretty darn close.  Just barely off center.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I tried it with and without the shims.  Without the shims it was a little off center but not much.  With the shims it made it worse.  Not touching but close.  I'm going to clean everything really good again and put it back together without shims and see where we are.

I used a different method this time of putting the shims in.  I dropped them into the mount and made sure they were flat against the mount shoulder, then lowered the rifle into the mount.  When I put it together before I stacked the shims on the muzzle and screwed the mount down.  I think one of the shims caught and bent when I was putting it together before, hence it probably folding over the muzzle and breaking.  When I eyeballed it at the range prior to shooting I saw no bore obstruction though.

I checked my AR10 and it was dead nuts in the middle.  I also checked some other cans and rifles I've been using over the years.  Rem AAC-SD with a TBAC CB9 was to my eyeball perfectly centered.  AAC MPW9 with an ASR mounted Omega was pretty darn close.  Just barely off center.
View Quote
Honestly....have your barrel threads recut and aligned with the bore. Include your muzzle device and have them install it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top