Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2022 8:18:56 AM EDT
I have a dbal a3 on my main go to rifle that is also set up to use with my PVS 14. I'm considering putting one of the surefire vampire lights on it in place of the M600 I currently have.

Do any of you currently use one of these lights, and if so what are the trade offs other than less lumens for increased IR output compared to just my dbal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few DBAL A3’s on two of my “go-to” rifles and they just have a white light in addition. One of my MP5’s I’ve set up with a CQBL and a Surefire M300V. I only did that because the CQBL didn’t have an illuminator. The 300V does pretty well for anything 50 yards and in.

Is there any reason you don’t like the illuminator on the DBAL? Adjusting the beam wider works pretty well for me for CQB distances.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
I have a few DBAL A3’s on two of my “go-to” rifles and they just have a white light in addition. One of my MP5’s I’ve set up with a CQBL and a Surefire M300V. I only did that because the CQBL didn’t have an illuminator. The 300V does pretty well for anything 50 yards and in.

Is there any reason you don’t like the illuminator on the DBAL? Adjusting the beam wider works pretty well for me for CQB distances.
View Quote

Mainly just that it's throw is pretty short, I was looking at having a little longer range for IR illumination for pig/coyote hunting, but I've never messed with any other IR devices so I don't know what my expectations should really be either.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RhodesianSon:

Mainly just that it's throw is pretty short, I was looking at having a little longer range for IR illumination for pig/coyote hunting, but I've never messed with any other IR devices so I don't know what my expectations should really be either.
View Quote

I guess my experience with the two have been opposite. With the illuminator on the DBAL, I can narrow the beam and illuminate things at a longer distance than the 300V. The Vampire has more “flood” in that you illuminate more on the sides, but don’t get a lot of illumination at depth vs a DBAL.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]

I guess my experience with the two have been opposite. With the illuminator on the DBAL, I can narrow the beam and illuminate things at a longer distance than the 300V. The Vampire has more “flood” in that you illuminate more on the sides, but don’t get a lot of illumination at depth vs a DBAL.
View Quote

Ok cool, thats the feedback I was looking for. I assumed the surefire would have more power and more reach.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RhodesianSon:

Ok cool, thats the feedback I was looking for. I assumed the surefire would have more power and more reach.
View Quote

No worries! Not sure which DBAL you have, but your experience may be the case with the civilian version. Mine are the restricted ones, but even on the low power mode, I think it is still better at longer range than the Surefire.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]

No worries! Not sure which DBAL you have, but your experience may be the case with the civilian version. Mine are the restricted ones, but even on the low power mode, I think it is still better at longer range than the Surefire.
View Quote

Yeah mine just civilian dbal a3
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top