Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 8:00:47 PM EDT
I'm not really an AK fan. I do have some but rarely shoot them.

Thought I'd grab some 14x1 mounts and maybe try a can or two on them.

I cut the weld on the factory thread protector type of muzzle device on my SBR'd Draco. Start to unscrew it, just using my fingers, and it feels loose.

Well......here's the threads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I threw one of my mounts on it and it did tighten up.

Checking with a can and its not even close to being good.

Is it even worth the trouble it's going to be to get this fixed?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think so, but I'm biased.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d fix it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think so, but I'm biased.

https://i.imgur.com/Id6JtEL.jpg
View Quote

I'd have to find a place to do it. How does yours sound? Decent?

Then too, I hate this under folding stock and would prefer to change to a side folder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Receiver have very different cut-outs. Not sure you can convert it.  Probably easier and cheaper to sell what you have and buy what you want.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’d fix it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my suppressed Draco and was running it in local 2 gun matches this year prior to becoming too busy to compete.  But mine has the rear pic rail for braces/stocks.  I got that variant specifically because I really dislike underfolders.  Not sure how much I would like mine if it were set up like a more traditional AK.

For what it’s worth I also have a KOP rear sight base with Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, SLR rail and gas tube, BAD EKG ak trigger, Krebs Custom ambi safety, KNS adjustable gas piston, Magpul pistol grip, extended charging handle, CAA extended mag release, Dead Air Wolverine suppressor, and probably some other stuff I’m forgetting.  Point being I’m not sure if it’s really still a Draco at this point.  But the Draco was the best base gun to make the gun I actually wanted.  No unnecessary side rail for optics getting in the way of the side folder I have installed, 12”-ish chrome lined barrel, lots of aftermarket parts availability.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I built a F1 can back in 2015 for a wasr I have like that.  I made it with progressively larger holes in the baffles.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It's too bad you already SBRd it.  I'd say sell it and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's too bad you already SBRd it.  I'd say sell it and buy a new one.
View Quote

It's been a SBR for years. Haven't really even shot it much. Just recently thought I'd try a can on it and this is what I found.

Not sure how it would even be fixed. Any ideas?

Anyone know of a place in the DFW area to have them look at it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's been a SBR for years. Haven't really even shot it much. Just recently thought I'd try a can on it and this is what I found.

Not sure how it would even be fixed. Any ideas?

Anyone know of a place in the DFW area to have them look at it?
View Quote
I asked ADCO about my WASR years ago and he said he could do it but it wasn't worth it being the gun was nothing special.  That's when I decided on a F1 instead of selling it and getting a new one
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Morgan at Class 3 Machining, In Dallas, is the go to guy for threading. You can have that barrel rethreaded to 1/2x28. Morgan just did a Norinco AK and it is perfect.

https://class3machining.com/
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You could also just do this:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/suppressor-thread-adapters-to-5-8x24/

They index off the muzzle face and your janky threads don’t matter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Morgan at Class 3 Machining, In Dallas, is the go to guy for threading. You can have that barrel rethreaded to 1/2x28. Morgan just did a Norinco AK and it is perfect.

https://class3machining.com/
View Quote

I've had him thread a few things for me in the past. I asked if he'd be interested in fixing this in the big thread of his.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could also just do this:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/suppressor-thread-adapters-to-5-8x24/

They index off the muzzle face and your janky threads don’t matter.
View Quote

If this adapter goes on concentric I’d consider having it silver-soldered on.  Those improperly formed threads aren’t full strength.  I’m not sure if nitrided steel can be silver soldered directly.  High temp green loctite might even hold up.

Griffin runs decent thread tolerances.  Sometimes their stuff doesn’t fit on crappy threads. And it’s a bitch to open up quality nitrided threads with a tap.  But for the cost of the adapter it’s worth trying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top