Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2018 4:01:58 PM EDT
I'm on the fence if I should buy an Omega 9k for my M11/9 w/ Max-11K upper.

Obviously a suppressor would make it quieter but is there a noticeable reduction in recoil when you suppress a subgun?
Do y'all prefer shooting you mac, uzi, etc... suppressed or unsuppressed and why?
I never see suppressors used in subgun competitions. Against the rules or something else?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Max-11. But I use a .45 can whe I shoot suppressed (despite having a few 9mm cans to choose from) for 3 reasons.
a) backpressure, you get a bit less backpressure shooting silencers with more volume and larger bores.
b) more forgiving bore if the can backs off a thread or two during a magdump.
c) MACs suppress like shit... might as well just subcal the 9mm through a .45 silencer anyways.

Really, on something like an open bolt SMG, recoil is only lower because there is more weight hanging off the end. At higher rates of fire with F/A vs semi, the recoil reduction benefits of a suppressor kind of get lost in the soup. Sure, there is less concussion and noise, but the gas back in your face can be an issue on a blowback gun. Plus, because silencers give any gun a cyclic increase, if you shoot a can with a lot of backpressure you could very well end up with a situation of the extra recoil from increased rates cancelling out any benefits of a silencer's recoil reduction... all the while eating more gas in your face.

Don't let me dissuade you about putting a silencer on a machinegun. It's badass and fun. If you want to shoot suppressed, then get a silencer. You've already got a $6k+ machinegun... just buy a damn $750 silencer already! But don't try to justify the silencer purchase as some sort of performance enhancer when used on a budget machinegun. Compensators are far more effective at recoil reduction. If you plan to shoot SMG competition effectively, a compensator or brake that lets your gun recoil as flat as possible is WAY more of a benefit than a silencer. Plus, nice compensators aren't regulated NFA items.

If you do get a silencer, and don't already have a silencer, I'd recommend a top-tier .45acp silencer because it can be used on more hosts and on an SMG, you're not going to notice the slight noise increase of shooting 9mm through the 45 bore. If you already have another pistol silencer and just want something specific to the machinegun, I'd recommend something with a fixed mount like a Liberty Mystic/Cosmic for an SMG.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I generally shoot my Uzi suppressed, in 9mm at least. I always shot my M11/9mm that way -- it was easier to control, and to shoot accurately.

Just use a locking suppressor, not a screw-on can: A shooter here in S. Fla. years ago wasn't shooting a Mac and holding it by the can. The can slowly unscrewed... just enough for a baffle strike that sent a bullet through the side of the can (and through his hand). Not a pleasant experience.
View Quote
That sounds awful! I prefer direct thread suppressors as they are usually shorter and lighter than the QD versions, a drop of rocksett and they don't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a Max-11. But I use a .45 can whe I shoot suppressed (despite having a few 9mm cans to choose from) for 3 reasons.
a) backpressure, you get a bit less backpressure shooting silencers with more volume and larger bores.
b) more forgiving bore if the can backs off a thread or two during a magdump.
c) MACs suppress like shit... might as well just subcal the 9mm through a .45 silencer anyways.

Really, on something like an open bolt SMG, recoil is only lower because there is more weight hanging off the end. At higher rates of fire with F/A vs semi, the recoil reduction benefits of a suppressor kind of get lost in the soup. Sure, there is less concussion and noise, but the gas back in your face can be an issue on a blowback gun. Plus, because silencers give any gun a cyclic increase, if you shoot a can with a lot of backpressure you could very well end up with a situation of the extra recoil from increased rates cancelling out any benefits of a silencer's recoil reduction... all the while eating more gas in your face.

Don't let me dissuade you about putting a silencer on a machinegun. It's badass and fun. If you want to shoot suppressed, then get a silencer. You've already got a $6k+ machinegun... just buy a damn $750 silencer already! But don't try to justify the silencer purchase as some sort of performance enhancer when used on a budget machinegun. Compensators are far more effective at recoil reduction. If you plan to shoot SMG competition effectively, a compensator or brake that lets your gun recoil as flat as possible is WAY more of a benefit than a silencer. Plus, nice compensators aren't regulated NFA items.

If you do get a silencer, and don't already have a silencer, I'd recommend a top-tier .45acp silencer because it can be used on more hosts and on an SMG, you're not going to notice the slight noise increase of shooting 9mm through the 45 bore. If you already have another pistol silencer and just want something specific to the machinegun, I'd recommend something with a fixed mount like a Liberty Mystic/Cosmic for an SMG.
View Quote
Interesting concept with using a 45 cal suppressor to adjust back pressure. But I have a very small firearms collection so I buy suppressors for a specific gun and rarely take them off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience I was not the biggest fan of my suppressed Mac.

It speeds up the ROF of direct blowback guns, which does not help in competition(sounds like that might be something your looking into).
Another reason you don't see them much in matches is because they're accessories that add unnecessary weight which isn't a good idea when no one else is using one(if your serious about competing).

I was extremely excited about getting my dedicated smg suppressor(bowers vers9s).  Using it on my sten, Mac, and now m16/9 has left a lot to be desired.

The sten is actually awesome with the can, and of the 3, my favorite to be suppressed.  
The problem is that you need specific ammo to run in blowback smgs.  Handloads are best(I ran some of my friends-that I have a very high level of trust for).
Even factory 147 ammo is still too much IMO.  You don't want to be blasting 115 gr through them because of the high probability of damaging the firearm.

If you are set on a suppressor though, I would definitely only be looking at dedicated smg cans.  The larger volume makes gas blowback much less of an issue, than trying to run a full auto rated pistol can.  Yes it can be done safely, but it wasn't designed for it.

In the end because of the ammo required a suppressed blowback smg is more of a novelty, to me anyway.
One day if I begin reloading my opinion may change.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I generally shoot my Uzi suppressed, in 9mm at least. I always shot my M11/9mm that way -- it was easier to control, and to shoot accurately.

Just use a locking suppressor, not a screw-on can: A shooter here in S. Fla. years ago wasn't shooting a Mac and holding it by the can. The can slowly unscrewed... just enough for a baffle strike that sent a bullet through the side of the can (and through his hand). Not a pleasant experience.
View Quote
how did the suppressor unscrew if his hand was on it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a bowers cac9 for my UZI

it's a nice big can and the barrel nut mount is excellent

it suppresses pretty well but I don't use it much

first of all, you have to shoot subsonic ammo or else it's pretty much a waste of time

secondly, it's not quite hearing safe, 9mm is only going to suppress to around 130 db, which is quite loud

third, i don't like the nose heavy feel of the gun with a suppressor on it.  the gun handles way better without the can on it

so my overall evaluation is:  meh
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a RPB can that I never use and 2 ti-rant 9mm cans that I use on my Lage upper MAC 10/9s.

I also have a Dillon 650 and load 147s. Suppressed is the only way to go.

My buddy shooting one with a Lage MK2

Me with my other using a Max10/31 upper.

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to be a little different than some of the responses above.

My UZI 9 mm with Vers-9s from bowers is AWESOME!  Very quite and more controllable. I think it was well worth getting.

The downside, as noted above, is you will need to get the 147 grain or higher rds. They are more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The few mags I've run through my new Mac, still in NFA jail, were less than fun suppressed. Too much gas and carbon debris hitting you in the face. It won't dissuade me from doing it again though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Suppressed subguns are awesome. With the right setup and loads you comfortably shoot without hearing protection and clearly hear the rounds impacting targets. I run both my M11/9 and S&W 76 suppressed. My M11 has a Lage Max11 mk1 upper threaded to 1/2x28 with a dedicated direct thread Bowers VERS 9S (yes, It can come loose but thread tape + holding the can while shooting prevents it from unthreading.) My S&W 76 has a BWE 1/2x28 threaded barrel that protrudes just past the shroud with an Octane 9HD2. With my 147gr reloads both are hearing safe except for FRP in the M11. The S&W 76 is quieter, I suspect this is because the ejection port is more forward, although I haven't swapped around suppressors to test other variables.

I prefer to run them suppressed for a number of reasons. Recoil is less, RPM is slightly higher, the chopiness present in open bolts is mitigated and smoothed out, plus they look badass. My friend also runs his M11's, Sten and S&W 76 suppressed.

This thread is worthless without pics and videos:

Suppressed S&W 76
Suppressed Sten
Suppressed M11

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#14]
IMHO subguns are the best hosts for cans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I love suppressed SMG's, very quiet with subsonic ammo. An ideal weapon for stealth. Lot of firepower while remaining hearing safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer my m11 suppressed. Even when shooting supersonic ammo. I use a silencerco hybrid w/3 lug on max11 mk2 upper. I don't notice any increase in rof. I wouldn't say its hearing safe but its a lot more comfortable to shoot, spectators don't need ear pro. I've only used the can indoors on the m11, outside is probably quieter for the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
you know what sucks is that all the bullet companies are loading factory 9mm ammo with flat point fmj 147 gr bullets

they used to have a 147 gr with an excellent rn profile that fed great and now they have that stoopit flat nose

a flat tip fmj is the dumbest bullet design ever
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Shooting my BRP U9/U45 SF is awesome suppressed.  Especially subsonic, but it's nice with supers to.  Definitely hearing safe with subs.  Running a pistol sized can on it does increase blowback during mag dumps but works fine.  Even my full sized Coastal MIMS can creates a cloud of smoke during a 72 round dump.  With that said just about anything will be gassy doing that.  I'm sure closed bolts are a little better than open as far as gas and noise.  My M11/9 which is in jail will be using the Wolf 9 SD I just ordered :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I like them. I have an older SWR Omega for my HK MGs.

I still use hearing protection because a bolt still makes a lot of noise a few inches from your face at 600+ rds per minute.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Ring the Hang Fast Target at -40 degrees with an Mp5

I love them for backyard shooting so it doesn't annoy the neighbors as much.  For range time at a noisy location I'll always pull the cans off since I have to wear ear pro anyway.  I don't use my rifle caliber cans much at all since they're still uncomfortably loud with supersonic ammo.

I put on quite a few subgun comps.  The only part that sucks with shooters using cans is that I generally have to use a stopwatch in addition to a PACT timer to ensure I don't miss the last shot.  Some shooter pull their cans off to ensure they get the PACT scored time instead of the hand scored time.  The shoots are mostly fun shoots so I don't think the time differential will matter much in the final outcomes.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to run my SWR Trident 9 on my MP5 regularly when I had my pack. I still run it on my Max-11. I went with the 3 lug mount barrel. I always used Winchester 147gr Super Unleaded, but have shot most of what I had of it. I may have to try the AE 147gr as Tony suggested.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am going to be a little different than some of the responses above.

My UZI 9 mm with Vers-9s from bowers is AWESOME! Very quite and more controllable. I think it was well worth getting.

The downside, as noted above, is you will need to get the 147 grain or higher rds. They are more expensive.
View Quote
This is what I have also, and I liked the Bowers can so much that I bought another for my Macs. I shoot suppressed 9mm almost exclusively when I go out...it's such a sound difference that it makes it much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
My M11/9 with Bowers CAC-9 gets along with IMI 158gr very well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
AFAIK, Federal American Eagle 147-grain TMJ (FAAE9N2) is still round-nose and it feeds perfectly (and stays subsonic)  in my SMGs. Been using it for decades now. It usta be cheap, too, but it's harder to find these days.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/caliber/9mm-luger/american-eagle-indoor-range-training/ae9n2#1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you know what sucks is that all the bullet companies are loading factory 9mm ammo with flat point fmj 147 gr bullets

they used to have a 147 gr with an excellent rn profile that fed great and now they have that stoopit flat nose

a flat tip fmj is the dumbest bullet design ever
AFAIK, Federal American Eagle 147-grain TMJ (FAAE9N2) is still round-nose and it feeds perfectly (and stays subsonic)  in my SMGs. Been using it for decades now. It usta be cheap, too, but it's harder to find these days.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/caliber/9mm-luger/american-eagle-indoor-range-training/ae9n2#1
I challenge ye to find that stuff for sale for a decent price. Natchez has it for 35 cents a round

do so, and i will dance at your daughters wedding
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Definitely worth it. 3 lug to avoid thread issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Holy gas face Batman! Cool gun but wow just wow!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
It was 40 below zero.  The majority of that wasn't what you'd normally consider gas blowback.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Freedom has 147gr @ $213/case and 135gr @ $220/case.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Shot timers sometimes don't hear suppressed pistol rounds; at least one reason why you are not seeing them in competition.

Subguns are awesome suppressed.  Go buy a suppressor already.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m not sure if I have ever shot my M10/45 without the suppressor. I mostly shoot it at the “family farm.”  While doing so is perfectly legal I still prefer not to attract attention/broadcast that there is a machinegun there. Suppressed, subsonic pistol ammunition isn’t as readily identifiable from a distance as it is unsuppressed.

In addition to that reasoning shooting it suppressed is fun and aids in controllability. Absolutely worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a southpaw, and almost exclusively shoot my M10/45 with the can. I haven't noticed gas in the face any more than shooting anything else. Can is a Gemtech Viper.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
M11/9 here with a MAX-11 mk2 and Bowers Vers9s here, that can is MASSIVE but it makes the thing fun as hell. I also run Lages's kit to slow down the cyclic rate. It is easy to control, but is front heavy due to the can. I rarely run it without the suppressor. I heavily recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#36]
You are required to wear hearing protection whether you shoot suppressed or not in the matches I've shot, and it just adds weight and can make shooting through a barrier more challenging.  Basically it adds nothing in competition.

That being said, that Omega-k is the one to get if you think you might want to shoot one in competition.  So short and light!  I have a Bowers VERS-9S and it's sweet, but I don't think I'd never shoot in competition with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top