Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 11:43:54 PM EDT
So how does that happen, thought there was a registry to track such things...  NFA registry I believe...

If I could just get ahold of the other guy, maybe we could share it.  He could have it even weeks and I will take it odd weeks.  Sorry, got to have some sort of sense of humor about this, otherwise I would have a stroke.

Anyway, dealer had some background references on local Arizona forum, been in business over ten years.   My can was approved (found out several months late as I only called when the supposed 1 year wait for trusts was approaching) so I wasn't too overly concerned that he had to request an additional copy after being "lost in the mail".  Esp. as I have actually had that happen.   And I knew he was out of town a lot and I was super busy and with Phoenix summers, who is in a rush to shoot outdoors.  But then he suddenly just ups and screws a ton of people.

Long story short, I figured with an approved can, worst case ATF would have to step in and roust it up.  Well not if the can was approved twice and the other guy already took possession.  Can in question is an Omega 9k which I was super eager to have this fall.  Not just a waste of money, but a waste of time in submission and waiting for nothing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
That sucks!
How do you know ATF approved transfer of that can to you?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel like a lot is missing from this post. I cant even say for certain what happened. did you buy from this dealer and he sold the same can to you and someone else?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel like a lot is missing from this post. I cant even say for certain what happened. did you buy from this dealer and he sold the same can to you and someone else?
View Quote
I am wondering the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Need more detail please.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Obtuse post is obtuse !
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do you know ATF approved transfer of that can to you?
View Quote

Pretty much this. Did you see an approved Form 4 in your name?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Obtuse post is obtuse !
View Quote
After reading the OP I was sure I had started on page two of the thread.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If this as-yet-unnamed dealer has screwed you (and other people) this badly, you really ought to mention the business name.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
What makes you think the guy is trying to screw you vs. this being a genuine clerical error?

In my early day's of NFA paperwork I was responsible for a clerical error that got the same suppressor approved to two different trusts, 90 days apart.

As in, I physically had two form 4's with stamps, for the same serialized suppressor, with two different trust names and addresses in my possession.

Uncommon, yep. But it ended up being a pretty anticlimactic event, ATF just requested I write void on the one submitted in error and mail the form 4 back.

Seems like if he was trying to screw you he wouldn't have done paperwork at all IMO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#10]
sorry for the late night post, it was already a long topic of discussion in local forum so I sort of mentally started from there...  my whole point in sharing was that the NFA registry is a bit looser than most of us believed...  and if instead of a 3 digit dollar can, someone could sell all the 5 digit dollar machine guns they wanted and more than one form may be approved.

How do I know I was approved?  Well I called ATF at the 12 month mark to check on my can and it had been approved a few months prior.  And recently I spoke to a person at the ATF assigned to investigate the dealer and they told me two forms on the same can were approved.   And for those that doubt my story, well I would have doubted it too.  I figured there were easier ways to defraud people than fill out a bunch of forms and send them to a heavily armed govt. agency (BTW, I sent them myself after physically handling the can).  But end of day the penalty is just a civil matter so who cares.

local forum post to fill in the blanks:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/NFA-dealer-has-my-money-anyone-know-him-Greystone-Firearms-Please-help-/13-625191/
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
All you can do at this point is leave a bad review, take him to small claims, and file to get your tax stamp money back.

I would also contact the DA and file a complaint, also lodge a complaint with the local PD and the city.  Hopefully they put that guy out of business since it seems like he's in the business of screwing people over.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All you can do at this point is leave a bad review, take him to small claims, and file to get your tax stamp money back.
View Quote
Won't the refund for the stamp just go to the dealer?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Won't the refund for the stamp just go to the dealer?
View Quote
Should go to the applicant on the form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top