Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2022 2:47:13 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a suppressor/silencer for my rifles. I own a Tavor Sar, x95, Steyr Aug, AR's and an AK. I kind of want something that I can move around to each rifle. I'm not sure if that is possible. I also want something that is hearing safe. I don't have a big budget and I have been looking at the Turbo K cans. I think I am going to set my budget at $700. I don't think I can go past that.

What would you recommend for my bullpup rifles? And would these also  be good choices for my AR's?

Can I use a 30 cal can for both my AK and other rifles in 223/5.56?

What would be hearing safe for my bullpup rifles? My bullpup's are my go to rifles. I had a stroke a few years ago and I am left with muscle weakness that won't be coming back. Bullpups just work for me.

I am also wanting something that isn't very long but if I have to go longer than shorter I will.

Are shorter can's harder on the ears? Or can I find one that does drop the levels down to hearing safe?

I think the trickiest part of this is finding one for my bullpup rifles that will be hearing safe. My ears are basically right at the ejection port.  I appreciate any and all help and information given. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is for a Sico Hybrid 46 if you are only thinking of getting one can.

AKs are notorious for non-concentric barrels and it would give you some room to play with.

You can also put different caliber end caps on it based on what you are shooting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting a suppressor/silencer for my rifles. I own a Tavor Sar, x95, Steyr Aug, AR's and an AK. I kind of want something that I can move around to each rifle. I'm not sure if that is possible. I also want something that is hearing safe. I don't have a big budget and I have been looking at the Turbo K cans. I think I am going to set my budget at $700. I don't think I can go past that.

What would you recommend for my bullpup rifles? And would these also  be good choices for my AR's?

Can I use a 30 cal can for both my AK and other rifles in 223/5.56?

What would be hearing safe for my bullpup rifles? My bullpup's are my go to rifles. I had a stroke a few years ago and I am left with muscle weakness that won't be coming back. Bullpups just work for me.

I am also wanting something that isn't very long but if I have to go longer than shorter I will.

Are shorter can's harder on the ears? Or can I find one that does drop the levels down to hearing safe?

I think the trickiest part of this is finding one for my bullpup rifles that will be hearing safe. My ears are basically right at the ejection port.  I appreciate any and all help and information given. Thanks everyone.
View Quote
Be prepared to wear some kind of hearing protection. You won't get hearing safe from a 5.56 (I even wear ear protection with subsonic 9mm).

Yes, you can use a 30 cal suppressor with 5.56, but it will be heavier than a comparable 5.56 can. It will probably also be slightly louder.

Shorter cans are generally louder. It's a tradeoff for the lighter weight and shorter length.

Look for low back pressure suppressors since most of your hosts will not be tunable.  Something like a Griffin Recce 5 for your 5.56 hosts. That's a fairly inexpensive suppressor with low back pressure, good sound signature and a great mounting system.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! I will think about this more and keep doing research.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of those hosts, like the Aug and Ak, often use less common thread patterns. I’d recommend making sure whatever mounting system you decide to use makes mounts for all of your intended hosts.

If it were me, I’d probably just concentrate on the 5.56 guns and omit the AK. I think you’d have to give up some performance on the 5.56 guns to get the same suppressor to work on your AK.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
By the time you get set up with muzzle devices and adapters to fit one can to all those hosts, you'll be a good chunk of the way to a second can money wise, and be giving up performance by using a sub-optimal can on some of the hosts.  You don't need to go full dedicated cans, but I think you'd be better off with at least two given what you're trying to suppress.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ratworx used to make an integral suppressor for the Aug and Tavor, which look pretty slick. I shot one on a 9mm Tavor a month or so ago, and I really like the form.  I thought they made them in .223 as well, but not 100% sure.

I think they have been out of production for a while, but it might be worth emailing to see if they are doing another run of them some time.
View Quote
Their AUG suppressor was especially cool, with how it captured the gas exhausted from the gas block.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/New_AUG_suppressor___/43-380852/

If they ever release them again (or even better, a HUB adapter for use with existing suppressors), it would definitely be a "shut up and take my money" product.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some of those hosts, like the Aug and Ak, often use less common thread patterns. I'd recommend making sure whatever mounting system you decide to use makes mounts for all of your intended hosts.

If it were me, I'd probably just concentrate on the 5.56 guns and omit the AK. I think you'd have to give up some performance on the 5.56 guns to get the same suppressor to work on your AK.
View Quote
I have an ak in 24x1.5rh and a hybrid 46 in jail.  The only good options I found are either use the griffin AK to 5/8x24 or one of these:

https://www.jmac-customs.com/2c-24-1-5-facemount-x37-bravo/

Not sure which I want to use yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an ak in 24x1.5rh and a hybrid 46 in jail.  The only good options I found are either use the griffin AK to 5/8x24 or one of these:

View Quote
I use one of these Link  with an ASR brake on my Hybrid 46 and PSAK-105.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I prefer the JMAC X37. It includes an integral brake to save your blast baffle and it takes one adapter out of the equation for less length and less chance of misalignment.

With the 5/8 adapter you have AK FSB threads -> 5/8 adapter -> direct thread adapter -> Suppressor

With the X37 you have AK FSB threads -> JMac X37 -> Suppressor
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Tavor guy with oss
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_0rdPpUEK4
Tavor guy with cgs helios qd (he says in the comments he prefers the oss)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dDFDNnmMI

No, nothing will be hearing safe
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. A lot to think about before I enter into the suppressor world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top