Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2023 1:45:51 PM EDT
Any downside to tuning with heavier buffers and stronger buffer springs instead of adjustable gas blocks? (Besides the obvious of more gas to the face.) Really don’t want to go that route if I don’t have to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Heavier buffer and spring helps slow down the action but does not solve the issue of being over gassed. That's why suppressor optimized barrels are getting more popular. For people who don't want an adjustable gas block. However, you can set and forget an adjustable to run how you want it. You don't have to constantly adjust for suppressed or unsuppressed shooting. The other option is a BRT EZTUNE gas tube. They are supposed to last 4-5,000 rounds before the hole starts opening up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any downside to tuning with heavier buffers and stronger buffer springs instead of adjustable gas blocks? (Besides the obvious of more gas to the face.) Really don’t want to go that route if I don’t have to.
View Quote

depending on your level of "tuning" you may be reducing your reliability zone when you have a dirty gun, cold temps, weak ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered an adjustable bolt carrier group? No gas block installation required. Also like the poster before mentioned, barrels gas ported for suppressor use. Also there are smaller diameter gas tubes out there. I chose a Bootleg BCG for some of my suppressed SBRs and it works for the cans I use (SiCo Saker & Omega).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heavier buffer and spring helps slow down the action but does not solve the issue of being over gassed. That's why suppressor optimized barrels are getting more popular. For people who don't want an adjustable gas block. However, you can set and forget an adjustable to run how you want it. You don't have to constantly adjust for suppressed or unsuppressed shooting. The other option is a BRT EZTUNE gas tube. They are supposed to last 4-5,000 rounds before the hole starts opening up.
View Quote

I guess my question is: Is it hurting anything to be over gassed if you’re compensating for it with heavier burger and spring?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess my question is: Is it hurting anything to be over gassed if you’re compensating for it with heavier burger and spring?
View Quote

More pressure and wear on the inside of the gun is what I have read. All the gas will still be either coming out of the charging handle or ejection port and it won't be pleasant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be A LOT more tempted to get some if they weren't $65
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you're increasing the wear on your receiver and bolt and getting more toxic gas in the your eyes and lungs plus a sharper recoil impulse. I don't know why the industry hasn't caught on to the fact that suppressors are everywhere now and consumers are looking for solutions that get it right the first time with an appropriately sized gas port for the application and not a solution to the problem caused by their gaping .082 Noveske or LMT gas port requiring an AGB that fossilizes in carbon if you don't clean it every 500 rounds. Flow through suppressors kinda solve some of the problem but they don't reduce sound and flash signature as well as baffled designs. Just give us appropriately sized gas ports! Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, you're increasing the wear on your receiver and bolt and getting more toxic gas in the your eyes and lungs plus a sharper recoil impulse. I don't know why the industry hasn't caught on to the fact that suppressors are everywhere now and consumers are looking for solutions that get it right the first time with an appropriately sized gas port for the application and not a solution to the problem caused by their gaping .082 Noveske or LMT gas port requiring an AGB that fossilizes in carbon if you don't clean it every 500 rounds. Flow through suppressors kinda solve some of the problem but they don't reduce sound and flash signature as well as baffled designs. Just give us appropriately sized gas ports! Fuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For every one dude suppressing their AR, there’s a hundred other guys who’ve never heard of Arfcom and still think you need a “Class III License” to own a suppressor who’ve bought the same rifle/barrel and intend to feed it a steady diet of the cheapest crappiest weakest combloc steel case crap they can find.

What’s better?  Dealing with that one dude who probably knows what’s he's doing and understands how to mitigate an “overgassed” situation or dealing with the hundred other guys clogging up your CS phone lines and email org box because their gun can’t make it through a 30 round mag without shitting the bed?

From a business stand point, it’s a numbers game, and businesses are in it for the numbers.  

That’s not even factoring environmentals and half a dozen other variables manufacturers have to account for if they don’t want to spend their days replacing products that won’t perform in every situation imaginable.

Some of the higher end manufacturers can do it because their products are either too expensive or too hard to find (or both) that there’s relatively little chance a “newbie” will ever buy one.  Even in that case, some have gone down the “hog out the gas port to appease every swinging dick” road.  

To be fair, I’ve never had a 5.56 AR that was so overgassed I felt the need to install an AGB.  It’s possible, but things have to be pretty extreme before you start seeing actual malfunctions induced by too much gas in a 5.56 AR.  Sure, you’ll deal with increased blowback and a sharper recoil impulse, but it’s generally not horrible and can be mitigated to some extent with other parts.  

Keep in mind, the military does not use AGBs on basically any of their suppressed AR pattern DI rifles and that’s with gas ports spec’d to a good middle ground that’ll support function in almost all environments, suppressed or unsuppressed.  That is going to mean you’ll likely see a bit more gas and a bit sharper recoil over a fully tuned adjustable operating system (especially with shorties like the CQBR).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

depending on your level of "tuning" you may be reducing your reliability zone when you have a dirty gun, cold temps, weak ammo, etc.
View Quote

I have two types of adjustable gas that can go from suppressor gas setting to regular gas setting in 20 seconds. One is no longer made though.

Micro MOA Govnah
Adams Arms piston
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd be A LOT more tempted to get some if they weren't $65
View Quote

The BRT gas tubes? Right? Seems like they are priced that way as they are the only manufacturer doing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
A heavier buffer can reduce bolt velocity through increasing inertia but it won’t delay bolt unlocking and extraction as much as throttling the gas impulse will. Spring tension is probably even less impactful. The spring is mainly to store energy to strip the next round. But it does add a little resistance throughout the stroke once inertia is overcome.  Once extraction breaks the seal of the case, gas is flowing out of the chamber until the suppressor blows down.  Bolt weight and spring add most of their impact after that. For a given suppressor, barrel port & length, cartridge load, and person’s gas sensitivity it could be enough. But gas throttling at the port is usually more impactful.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the choice is the buy an expensive barrel with a smaller gas port or deal with all the headaches of an adjustable block.

Whole thing is kind of making me not even want to fuck with a suppressor at all lmao.
I just want a KISS setup and it sounds like that just doesn’t work or happen when you add a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like the choice is the buy an expensive barrel with a smaller gas port or deal with all the headaches of an adjustable block.

Whole thing is kind of making me not even want to fuck with a suppressor at all lmao.
I just want a KISS setup and it sounds like that just doesn’t work or happen when you add a suppressor.
View Quote

How do you define expensive? What length barrel are you looking at? Expo Arms barrels at Primary Arms have decent gas port sizes (especially the 10.3 and 11.5), and they are chrome lined and awesome quality for the price. Black River has Nitride barrels for $200 with decent gas port sizes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How do you define expensive? What length barrel are you looking at? Expo Arms barrels at Primary Arms have decent gas port sizes (especially the 10.3 and 11.5), and they are chrome lined and awesome quality for the price. Black River has Nitride barrels for $200 with decent gas port sizes.
View Quote

My 11.5” complete BCM BFH upper is supposed to be the host. I have ZERO plans to re barrel that upper lol. Especially not with expo arms or similar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My 11.5” complete BCM BFH upper is supposed to be the host. I have ZERO plans to re barrel that upper lol. Especially not with expo arms or similar.
View Quote

Those are supposedly .073. Probably won't be too bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I've down the route of buffers and springs with a LMT MWS...I do not recommend it...proper way to do is gas control...

BRT gas tubes is another...

Either get an adjustable gas key or gas block...
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leave it as is or do the buffer and spring, it will be fine just not the best it could be.
I have lots of suppressors and only 3 guns with adjustable gas.

ETA: Here is one route I took. Bought one of these, change hand guard to Magpul SL.
You can change gas with your fingers, 3 settings. No gas, 1/2 gas, normal gas.
It's actually amazing how quiet an AR is with no gas so it's a bolt action.

https://adamsarms.net/product/upper-p1-5-56-11-5/
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those are supposedly .073. Probably won't be too bad.
View Quote

I guess I’ll have to wait and see. Was kind of trying to plan accordingly for when form 4 is finally approved.

I don’t show 5,000 rounds a year (at least not through one gun), so I’m not necessarily overly concerned about the possibility of added wear and tear, but I definitely don’t want to be screwing things up in the long term either.

Seems like a lot of people just let ‘em rip with massive gas ports and carbine or H buffers lmao. I’m sure that works and all, but for how long is another question lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suppressors add complexity. Everybody wants a magic solution.  You can spend $$$ on a flow-through can. Or get a YHM Turbo K and with the $ you save buy a spare BCG and put a $40 Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key on it. It’s a (mostly) one time PITA to adjust. But you can swap tuned BCG in with can, and go back to factory without can.  For more $ you can buy a Bootleg adjustable BCG.  They vent instead of throttle gas. You can wait until your can gets in to see if you feel you need gas tuning.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or just buy a barrel with a properly spec’d gas port (and by that, I mean a good middle ground) and roll with it.

I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds through dozens of different 5.56 ARs and never once needed an AGB.  95% of American SOF utilize suppressed ARs without AGBs.

I understand the desire to overanalyze everything, especially on a technical forum, but a lot of times that leads to decisions that aren’t entirely based in real world data.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#21]
2 of my ARs are run supressed 99% of the time. 1 is a 14.5" triarc track (mid) with a BRT gas tube, sprinco blue, H1 and a gas buster charging handle. On that one I have to swap to a std buffer to reliably cycle brass cased ammo without the can. The 2nd is an 11.5" faxon gunner (carbine), adjustable gas block, std spring, H1 and a vltor charging handle. I adjusted it to just lock back on brass with no can and then opened it one more click for a reliability margin. With a recce 5 I notice more gas with the 14.5". It doesn't blast me in the face or anything, but it's certainly more noticeable. YMMV
Correction- the 14.5" has a H2 suppressed and a std unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or just buy a barrel with a properly spec’d gas port (and by that, I mean a good middle ground) and roll with it.

I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds through dozens of different 5.56 ARs and never once needed an AGB.  95% of American SOF utilize suppressed ARs without AGBs.

I understand the desire to overanalyze everything, especially on a technical forum, but a lot of times that leads to decisions that aren’t entirely based in real world data.
View Quote

That’s what I’m trying to get to the bottom of lol.
First timer with a suppressor here so I’m just finding myself wading through tons of forums and basically the end result is nothing but half the guys saying a BCM 11.5” is perfectly fine to run suppressed without a AGB, and the other half saying it’s a necessity lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First timer with a suppressor here so I’m just finding myself wading through tons of forums and basically the end result is nothing but half the guys saying a BCM 11.5” is perfectly fine to run suppressed without a AGB, and the other half saying it’s a necessity lol.
View Quote

Get your suppressor. THEN worry about changing things. It might be fine. If it's not, you have options. No need to "fix" it before you find a reason.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Turbo K on a 16". I went BRT gas tube route.  Very easy switch.  Even though I specified 100% suppressed,  still runs unsuppressed on .223. I just wish I had shot with the can and factory tube so I would have a comparison.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

They go much longer than that, in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got an older 11.5" BCM upper that I shot suppressed for awhile with an older gemtech trek (no idea if its ultra high pressure or not). I found it to be extremely overgassed. I cut down the the FSB for a low pro rail, so an AGB wasn't really an option, and at the time, BRT was doing gas port inserts, not the gas tubes they do now. I ended up with the Gemtech suppressed carrier. Works great. 2 settings, regular and suppressed. Another option is the bootleg with 4 settings. I don't shoot this upper much anymore because I built a 13.9 I shoot the most.

But realistically, I would do nothing until its finally approved. Or get some range time on it as is and see how it is if your range does conjugals.

What is your current spring/buffer setup? I think you'd be good to upgrade to at least an H, maybe an H2 depending what ammo you shoot most (regardless of the silencer situation). Cold weather/weak steel case being your limiting factors.

Also add something better than milspec CH with the little shelf that seals up a bit better. Anything will work. Geissele, radian, etc.

I would be prepared for the following options:
1. Do nothing. But I think you'll get sick of gas in the face pretty quick.
2. Upgrade buffer/springs (especially if you are using carbine buffer). Sprinco Green/A5H2 is on my full auto lower and most uppers cycle great on it. Unsuppressed and steel case won't fully cycle depending on the upper. Everything cycles with a silencer, even steel case.
3. Adjustable carrier. (gemtech/bootleg)
or
3. BRT gas tube (once you settle on spring/buffer)

I prefer mine to run steel case suppressed (maybe not unsuppressed) and full power brass unsuppressed. I shoot suppressed all the time and this is a good spot for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Rifle Speed gas block.

I have used every solution out there and choking the gas off at the port is the best option. I take it a step further and use low mass carriers in conjunction with adj blocks - the low mass carrier further reduces the amount of gas needed to cycle.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've got an older 11.5" BCM upper that I shot suppressed for awhile with an older gemtech trek (no idea if its ultra high pressure or not). I found it to be extremely overgassed. I cut down the the FSB for a low pro rail, so an AGB wasn't really an option, and at the time, BRT was doing gas port inserts, not the gas tubes they do now. I ended up with the Gemtech suppressed carrier. Works great. 2 settings, regular and suppressed. Another option is the bootleg with 4 settings. I don't shoot this upper much anymore because I built a 13.9 I shoot the most.

But realistically, I would do nothing until its finally approved. Or get some range time on it as is and see how it is if your range does conjugals.

What is your current spring/buffer setup? I think you'd be good to upgrade to at least an H, maybe an H2 depending what ammo you shoot most (regardless of the silencer situation). Cold weather/weak steel case being your limiting factors.

Also add something better than milspec CH with the little shelf that seals up a bit better. Anything will work. Geissele, radian, etc.

I would be prepared for the following options:
1. Do nothing. But I think you'll get sick of gas in the face pretty quick.
2. Upgrade buffer/springs (especially if you are using carbine buffer). Sprinco Green/A5H2 is on my full auto lower and most uppers cycle great on it. Unsuppressed and steel case won't fully cycle depending on the upper. Everything cycles with a silencer, even steel case.
3. Adjustable carrier. (gemtech/bootleg)
or
3. BRT gas tube (once you settle on spring/buffer)

I prefer mine to run steel case suppressed (maybe not unsuppressed) and full power brass unsuppressed. I shoot suppressed all the time and this is a good spot for me.
View Quote

Currently the BCM 11.5” upper is 100% as it came. Mil spec spring with an H buffer. I have an H2 on hand already and will probably buy a Sprinco Blue to have on hand as well.

ETA: Currently trying to see if I can swap my suppressor order to a Turbo T3 from the Turbo K since the T3 is supposed to have significantly less back pressure than the K or T2.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Currently the BCM 11.5” upper is 100% as it came. Mil spec spring with an H buffer. I have an H2 on hand already and will probably buy a Sprinco Blue to have on hand as well.

ETA: Currently trying to see if I can swap my suppressor order to a Turbo T3 from the Turbo K since the T3 is supposed to have significantly less back pressure than the K or T2.
View Quote

You'll have to cancel your form 4 and get a refund, and resubmit. Fortunately you aren't far into the wait. However, I'd stick with the K. Some T3 feedback: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/NEW-YHM-Turbo-T3/20-539708/&page=2#i5813939
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You'll have to cancel your form 4 and get a refund, and resubmit. Fortunately you aren't far into the wait. However, I'd stick with the K. Some T3 feedback: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/NEW-YHM-Turbo-T3/20-539708/&page=2#i5813939
View Quote

Form hasn’t been submitted yet. Literally only made the order 2 days ago. Lol
They were able to cancel and re do the order with the T3. :D

I think I’m willing to add minimal length to the gun to gain the advantage of the reduced pressure.
From most accounts I can find in various places, the T3 is a definite improvement in terms of reducing back pressure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Form hasn’t been submitted yet. Literally only made the order 2 days ago. Lol

I think I’m willing to add minimal length to the gun to gain the advantage of the reduced pressure.
From most accounts I can find in various places, the T3 is a definite improvement in terms of reducing back pressure.
View Quote

I think you're off to a good start. Use the H2 to start. See how you like it, then make adjustments, if needed, later.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Form hasn't been submitted yet. Literally only made the order 2 days ago. Lol

I think I'm willing to add minimal length to the gun to gain the advantage of the reduced pressure.
View Quote
I'm hoping they do a T3K.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Get your suppressor. THEN worry about changing things. It might be fine. If it's not, you have options. No need to "fix" it before you find a reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Don’t put the cart before the horse.  Over analyzing a fix to a problem you’re not even sure exists is just wasted time, energy, and potentially money.

First step is to see if you even have a problem.  The likely answer to that is no, but in the event you do, that’s when you should start looking for fixes.  I personally wouldn’t own a 5.56 AR that had a gas port so large it induced malfunctions when suppressed.  In that scenario, I’d be buying a new barrel/upper, although an AGB would also be an option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Rifle Speed gas block.

I have used every solution out there and choking the gas off at the port is the best option. I take it a step further and use low mass carriers in conjunction with adj blocks - the low mass carrier further reduces the amount of gas needed to cycle.

View Quote

This is an option, and while I won’t say it’s wrong, it’s important to understand that doing this will decrease the envelope where the gun will properly function.  Temps drop too low or the gun gets too dirty, and you’ll start experiencing malfunctions.

Not a huge deal for target/range only guns (I have a target/bench oriented 6mm ARC build with a LW carrier and AGB), but probably not the best for serious use.

ETA:  Just to clarify, I’m talking about the LW carrier and gas tuned to the ragged edge of function.  While I’ve never used one of the RifleSpeed AGBs, I'm sure they’re perfectly suitable for duty use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Andro Corp makes a great crane spec barrel and it’s not stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Andro Corp makes a great crane spec barrel and it’s not stupid expensive.
View Quote

Concur.

I ditched the 10.5 barrel I had with a ridiculously generous gas port for the Andro 10.3 crane barrel and that was the best decision ever.  If I'm mag dumping it the Turbo K can still be bit a bit gassy but usually its not that bad otherwise with a reaasonable firing schedule.

OP, I think your going to like the T3.  Now the fun part, hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Concur.

I ditched the 10.5 barrel I had with a ridiculously generous gas port for the Andro 10.3 crane barrel and that was the best decision ever.  If I'm mag dumping it the Turbo K can still be bit a bit gassy but usually its not that bad otherwise with a reaasonable firing schedule.

OP, I think your going to like the T3.  Now the fun part, hurry up and wait.
View Quote

Just sent my prints to Capitol today…

So I’ve got a looong ways to go lol. Best thing for me to do at this point is attempt to forget about it lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a 10.3 crane spec with a JP SCS H2 and an LMT enhanced BCG and the gas from shooting suppressed is not nearly as obnoxious as the noise from shooting unsuppressed. It could probably run a little smoother suppressed with a reduced gas port but an AGB is a non-starter for me and I haven't found any barrels that meet all my criteria without getting into custom so for now it's good enough for me. Just steer clear of notorious gassers like LMT and Noveske and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
AGB is the cheapest, most effective, most versatile, and easiest solution, in my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I threw a slash xtra heavy buffer and matched spring in my LMT MRP and it ejects at 3:00 while suppressed. No suppression it still runs fine with this setup. Without it, it was extremely overgassed when suppressed. No more gassy than other guns I have with AGB.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I threw a slash xtra heavy buffer and matched spring in my LMT MRP and it ejects at 3:00 while suppressed. No suppression it still runs fine with this setup. Without it, it was extremely overgassed when suppressed. No more gassy than other guns I have with AGB.
View Quote

Sounds like I'm gonna just have to wait and see. From what I gather, BCM's 11.5" gas ports are bigger than you'd want for a suppressed upper, but not as big as many others. Hoping YHM did a good enough job with the Turbo T3 at mitigating blow back to at least some extent. I already have an S2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring ready to go in.

AGB is the last thing on my list I want to do. The idea of replacing an essentially fool/bomb proof non adjustable gas block off and putting an AGB on makes me cringe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve had a lot of adjustable gas blocks. The current champion is Riflespeed. 12 settings if you need/want them. Simple, effective, and durable.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldnt be as concerned as you are about an AGB, but there are other options that have been mentioned. Throw an H2 in it and see how it goes. If it's not enough for you then grab a BRT tube. You can configure them to suite your needs/platform. They aren't going to magically fail at 5k rounds. If/when it starts to get worn and you notice that there's increased gas, replace it. Start with a std spring and H2. See if it cycles unsuppressed (it should). Once you get your can throw it on and see where you're at. IF there are issues we can look into it further.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’ve had a lot of adjustable gas blocks. The current champion is Riflespeed. 12 settings if you need/want them. Simple, effective, and durable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83570/F6EA3198-167D-437A-81A5-7920EAC550FE-2693005.jpg
View Quote

Sheesh, that's slick. $200 though lol.

I wonder why more people don't run these? https://yhm.net/new-products/suppressor-gas-block/

Seems like you could just drill it to around .06" or so and have a generally well tuned upper with the peace of mind of not having to run an AGB. What am I missing aside from obviously not having the ability to fine tune the gas? (Seems like .062 or so would still be a hell of a lot better than .07"+)
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wouldnt be as concerned as you are about an AGB, but there are other options that have been mentioned. Throw an H2 in it and see how it goes. If it's not enough for you then grab a BRT tube. You can configure them to suite your needs/platform. They aren't going to magically fail at 5k rounds. If/when it starts to get worn and you notice that there's increased gas, replace it. Start with a std spring and H2. See if it cycles unsuppressed (it should). Once you get your can throw it on and see where you're at. IF there are issues we can look into it further.
View Quote

I know I'm thinking too far ahead. It's in my nature unfortunately. Can't help it lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The KISS solution has already been mentioned.  It is the BRT gas tube.   You can have any sized gas port you want with no moving parts.  They work great.  A bit expensive for a gas tube but absolutely worth it for a well tuned gun.  

As other mentioned you can just run it stock fine most likely.

All that said I prefer a high quality AGB that I can set and forget though I might splurge on a riflespeed one day… then again I might not as I amost never shoot without my can.  That yhm gas block would prob work great on a always suppressed gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Adjustable gas block ftw.  

I'm so glad I bought up those Joe Bob outfitter adj gas blocks when they made them.  $25 got you a regular gas block that they literally just drilled/tapped a set screw into.  So far the few I have used have turned out perfect.  Abmnd here I spend $100+ on JP ones originally
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sheesh, that's slick. $200 though lol.

I wonder why more people don't run these? https://yhm.net/new-products/suppressor-gas-block/

Seems like you could just drill it to around .06" or so and have a generally well tuned upper with the peace of mind of not having to run an AGB. What am I missing aside from obviously not having the ability to fine tune the gas? (Seems like .062 or so would still be a hell of a lot better than .07"+)
View Quote

Mainly the vagueness of the "55% smaller" gas port hole. The gas blocks are designed to be larger than the gas port on the barrel, so who knows what the equivalent gas port size is and it sounds like it requires some trial and error drilling the gas port hole to the desired size.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mainly the vagueness of the "55% smaller" gas port hole. The gas blocks are designed to be larger than the gas port on the barrel, so who knows what the equivalent gas port size is and it sounds like it requires some trial and error drilling the gas port hole to the desired size.
View Quote

Found someone on Reddit say they bought one and it was .055”. Thinking of buying one and drilling to .06” or so and rolling with it. Still more gas than necessary but way better than .070”+.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top