Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2020 5:58:40 PM EDT
8.3" barrel

Suggestions?

Do you have the same concentricity issues with these that you do with other types of AK Variants?

I am pretty heavily invested in the Dead Air ecosystem, so it would be nice to just attach a Keymount muzzle device and mount one of the many options in my safe. Or I could get another Wolverine and call it a day, if I had to.

What are y'all's experiences?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
8.3" barrel

Suggestions?

Do you have the same concentricity issues with these that you do with other types of AK Variants?

I am pretty heavily invested in the Dead Air ecosystem, so it would be nice to just attach a Keymount muzzle device and mount one of the many options in my safe. Or I could get another Wolverine and call it a day, if I had to.

What are y'all's experiences?
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Suppressed-ACE-pistol/92-166260/
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
KNS piston is a must. Do not run it suppressed without one. There are no concentricity issues. I run mine with a Sandman and Nomad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info. Thanks. I already have the KNS piston. I have it in my arsenal SAM7SF too, and it makes it like a new rifle.

I wish I could find the ALG AKT trigger. The UL or whatever it is for the ACE.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the 556 models as over gassed as the 7.62 and 308? Google all you want and I can only ever find people saying those 2 models definitely need the KNS piston
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesnt seem to be as over-gassed as the 762Soviet or 762NATO guns but they still need KNS to adjust properly to supressor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a galil ace and in 5.56. I put the key-micro brake on it and a dead air Wolfman. After only a few shots, the back pressure from the can put so much force into the piston that upon case extraction, it ripped it in half and left brass fragments hard stuck in the barrel. I couldn't chamber another round. I had to have a gunsmith knock them out. So yeah, a KNS piston head swap is required. I just bought one, but now I'm having second thoughts. The top cover on these is a real pain to take off because it's so tight. Seeing as you need to go through many iterations of dialing in the kns head to get it right, I'm thinking I may just abandon suppressing this thing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a galil ace and in 5.56. I put the key-micro brake on it and a dead air Wolfman. After only a few shots, the back pressure from the can put so much force into the piston that upon case extraction, it ripped it in half and left brass fragments hard stuck in the barrel. I couldn't chamber another round. I had to have a gunsmith knock them out. So yeah, a KNS piston head swap is required. I just bought one, but now I'm having second thoughts. The top cover on these is a real pain to take off because it's so tight. Seeing as you need to go through many iterations of dialing in the kns head to get it right, I'm thinking I may just abandon suppressing this thing.
View Quote

Huh? You don't need to take the top cover off to adjust the KNS piston. Pull the bolt back with one hand and adjust with the other through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So I read your comment and got excited. I knocked out the existing pin and piston head. I screwed in the new KNS head and knocked in their supplied roll pin. It comes with the 7.62 head installed, and they say to use an Allen key to remove it and put in the 5.56 one. So I put the carrier/piston in a vice and went to unscrew that 7.62 head. They put it in there so tight that it didn't come unscrewed, but instead sheered off the new roll pin that was holding the whole head in and destroyed it. So yeah, I've given up on this whole KNS thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ace Rifle in 7.62x39 put a SurefFire 7.62K on it works GREAT.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
KNS piston is a must. Do not run it suppressed without one. There are no concentricity issues. I run mine with a Sandman and Nomad.
View Quote

Not trying to hijack the thread but how does the Nomad’s blast baffle hold up to that short of a barrel? I have a Sandman-S and a Nomad 30 that I’ve been debating which run to run on a 10.5 barreled AK in x39.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I read your comment and got excited. I knocked out the existing pin and piston head. I screwed in the new KNS head and knocked in their supplied roll pin. It comes with the 7.62 head installed, and they say to use an Allen key to remove it and put in the 5.56 one. So I put the carrier/piston in a vice and went to unscrew that 7.62 head. They put it in there so tight that it didn't come unscrewed, but instead sheered off the new roll pin that was holding the whole head in and destroyed it. So yeah, I've given up on this whole KNS thing.
View Quote

Probably would've come off if you vised the rod in a barrel block or something & applied heat before wrenching on it.

Also, the AK can be run with the top cover off, which would allow adjusting the piston by pulling back on the CH until it clears the gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I contacted KNS support after staring at it for a while and they were really great. They sent me out a new one with the 5.56 head already installed and issued a return label for the old one. I haven't installed the new one yet but I don't foresee any issues going forward. I did see a post by magever (the dead air guy on this forum) and he mentioned that running suppressors on 7 and 8" barrels is definitely going to do a number on the suppressor as far as premature wear. In 5.56 for a 7 inch barrel, it's about 17k PSI when the bullet leaves the muzzle compared to 10k PSI for an 11".
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I run my Galil Ace Pistol (5.56) as is from the factory with an OSS Helix (223 suppressor) with no issues whatsoever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top