Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2021 2:39:36 PM EDT
Admittedly I’m far from a high volume shooter but does anyone have first hand experience with suppressors beating up PS90s?
I know scars can be shitty but the ps90...?
*chopping factory barrel to 10.x”
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Suppressing the PS-90 will make no significant difference in lifespan of the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Suppressing the PS-90 will make no significant difference in lifespan of the weapon.
View Quote
I've used a YHM Turbo k, Silencerco 5.56 Specwar k, and an Omega 9k, all with the ASR mounts and the single port brake on the PS 90 SBR.  Never had any problem.

I do think the 22 rimfire suppressors don't have enough volume for the 5.7, even if they are rated for it.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

One solution that has been discussed is to use a 9mm suppressor or a .30 cal one to reduce back pressure,

https://i.imgur.com/zfykKP5.jpg
View Quote

As opposed to a rimfire can or as opposed to a 556
Rifle can?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
Extensive use of a suppressor can cause damage to the P90/PS90 in the area of the takedown button.

One solution that has been discussed is to use a 9mm suppressor or a .30 cal one to reduce back pressure,

Jay Wolf has been trying to come up with a repair, but the last I heard he hasn’t figured one out yet.

Photo courtesy of Elite Ammunition/ Jay Wolf

https://i.imgur.com/zfykKP5.jpg
View Quote

Are there any particular suppressors which are ‘safe’?
I just won a Keltec P50 and eventually want a PS90 also.  I’m currently trying to find a suppressor to handle both guns without causing damage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Supposedly you can crack the buttstock pad when there's excessive backpressure in the system from the can. Solution, shoot 5.56 or 5.56K cans and don't use anything faster than AE TMj/SS197SR. Preferably use subs :D Problem solved.

Ktec really didn't think the muzzle end through on the P50. They didn't give us really any shoulder to use for shimming brakes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Iv seen multiple posts saying to never use a .22lr can on a ps90

I run a Turbo K on mine
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
Iv seen multiple posts saying to never use a .22lr can on a ps90

I run a Turbo K on mine
View Quote
You can certainly use a .22 can rated for 5.7 on a Ps90/P90. However most people are going to shoot supers and those smaller cans are going to introduce more back pressure into the gun, and could damage the buttpad and supposedly the stock overtime.  Run a larger volume 5.56 can, and shoot SS197/AE TMJ suppressed or subsonic. Avoid SS198/195/190.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
What about a RAD-22 style with the flow through design with regards to back pressure in the PS90?

I have one in jail that I was going to switch between my rimfires and a SBR PS90.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to use an official 5.7 suppressor on my PS90 SBR, but I could tell it was causing damage to the frame. It caused a large amount of blowback and even popped out the mags and even cracked one magazine. I decided to put a dead air muzzle brake keymo mount on it and use a Sandman K with an e-brake front cap. The Sandman K has very low backpressure and the e-brake attached to the end of the Sandman K releases gas at the end of the suppressor further reducing backpressure. It being a .30 caliber can helps even more with reducing backpressure. All of these combined has resulted in no more mag pops and almost no backpressure from the gas while still keeping it hearing safe.

I highly recommend you use a .30 caliber can that is a "K" size to keep backpressure at an absolute minimum. Even that combination should keep the PS90 hearing safe and significantly increase its lifespan compared to any other suppressor combination.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VersaceDesertEagle:
I used to use an official 5.7 suppressor on my PS90 SBR, but I could tell it was causing damage to the frame. It caused a large amount of blowback and even popped out the mags and even cracked one magazine. I decided to put a dead air muzzle brake keymo mount on it and use a Sandman K with an e-brake front cap. The Sandman K has very low backpressure and the e-brake attached to the end of the Sandman K releases gas at the end of the suppressor further reducing backpressure. It being a .30 caliber can helps even more with reducing backpressure. All of these combined has resulted in no more mag pops and almost no backpressure from the gas while still keeping it hearing safe.

I highly recommend you use a .30 caliber can that is a "K" size to keep backpressure at an absolute minimum. Even that combination should keep the PS90 hearing safe and significantly increase its lifespan compared to any other suppressor combination.
View Quote
What can was it? GSL?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
What can was it? GSL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:

What can was it? GSL?

Or B&T?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I mean official as in specifically designed for the 5.7 caliber. It was made by gemtech. From what research I've done it appears 5.7 suppressors are made for the FN 5.7 handgun and they aren't actually meant for the P(S)90 because of the high pressure that can damage the frame.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pogmothoin] [#16]
if barrel moves do you need nielsen device on it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pogmothoin:
View Quote

I wouldn’t think by default, no
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

no my PS90 with Turbo K is direct threaded
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
No. Not needed. Truth be told you can run subs as slow as about 600-700 fps (but in reality DO NOT go this slow because squibs can happen), and get the P90 action to cycle. They will run with even super heavy ass cans.  The FSN is the finnicky one that if you're running subs, you'll need a 55-60gr bullet going very close to 1075-1100 fps, and 6oz or less can to get it to run reliably :D
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Or B&T?
View Quote

I was under the impression the GSL and B&T options worked well.  I'm not sure of their bore diameters or their back pressure.

I really like that GSL Bi-Lock mount.  It looks slick and P90 esque.  Although I don't see it on their website anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metroplex] [#21]

View Quote

This is very good to know. GSL still makes the P90 suppressor and brake (bi-lock) for the PS90/P90. Greg Latka (owner) was on the design team that made the Gemtech SP90 suppressor for the P90. If you watch the old FN video with Ben Voss demo'ing the P90 you can see the bi-lock brake. Same with the promotional brochures from FN during the mid-2000s. I still have mine from 2006 or 2007 and on the very front you can see the Gemtech/GSL P90 brake. Gemtech no longer provides any warranty coverage for their pre-2016/2017 cans after the S&W purchase.

The GSL P90 brake weighs 120g (heaviest of the muzzle devices) and that bi-lock restricts you to Gemtech/GSL/CMMG bi-lock suppressors (they're all made by GSL).

I guess I could try a YHM R9 with a Rearden muzzle device on the CMMG thread adapter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top