Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2018 7:47:29 PM EDT
I have an Sbr'd lower and a rugged razor suppressor in NFA jail right now. My goal is to build a 300blk home defense gun. If you were in my shoes, what length (and maybe brand) upper would you use? Also, do the JP capture springs have any issue running suppressed 300 out of an sbr? For shits and giggles I may install a binary trigger down the road.

I'm in the early stages of this build and just looking for ideas
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
8.5. I think the min for my omega is 8.
I have a Superlative Arms AGB on a PSA upper. If you go PSA be mindful of the shoulder on the threads. When I put my FH on it was not concentric at first and I had to shim it. I've read comments from others with similar issues. But apart from that it's my favorite rifle right now. It's accurate and quiet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an Sbr'd lower and a rugged razor suppressor in NFA jail right now. My goal is to build a 300blk home defense gun. If you were in my shoes, what length (and maybe brand) upper would you use? Also, do the JP capture springs have any issue running suppressed 300 out of an sbr? For shits and giggles I may install a binary trigger down the road.

View Quote
I have a 10.2 inch noveske barrel with gemtech 300 blk suppressor. Also run a JP silent capture spring with zero issues. I have a SWFA SS 1-6x optic. Been running the setup for a few years now.

Wrong suppressor installed at time of pic
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't use 300bo for home defense but if I did it would be this guy with a Sandman K instead of the Wolverine, and minus the laser and NV
Hoping the K arrives in the next couple days

ETA already forgot the brand of upper Double checked and it's Sanders Armory Corp 300BO with 10.5" Faxon barrel
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
My 8.5" 300BO with direct thread Omega 9k is shorter than my 11.5" 556 with FH.   For range use I'll put a quieter, longer 30 cal can on it, but for handling it's even shorter than a Sandman K, lighter, and I suspect suppresses just as well (takes the concussion edge off).
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a 12" barrel chopped to 7". I have another one that is 7.5". I'll probably end up with a Sig Rattler at some point, which has a 5.5" barrel. For home defense, there's really no need for extra velocity (and it's not even than much extra with 300blk). I run an Omega 9K on my 7".

With supers, you're getting all the ballistics you need within the distance you'd need them, so why run a 10.5" barrel and 6" can and end up with a 16" equivalent gun when you can have the combo be about as long as a 10.5" unsuppressed upper?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My BCM 9" upper and JP capture spring runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
7.5" SBR with Sandman-K
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]

8" w/ Dead Air Sandman-K

10" w/ Sandman-S
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Supers for HD, subs for pew pew pew.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I wanted to go with an 8.5”. I ended up coming across an AAC 9” barrel and gas block in the E.E.  It’s a great barrel, but I wouldn’t pay the $424 AAC wants for them. I
I would look at the BA hanson barels. That was what I was going to probably get before I found the AAC. I would stay in the 8-10” range and closer to 8”. There’s not much of an advantage going with anything outside 8-10”. Shorter looses velocity and longer doesn’t have much velocity gain for the length.

If you are looking at complete uppers, I have no idea. I have heard that some PSA uppers don’t have enough of a shoulder to index a suppressor mount. Some people have had luck using mounts that index off the face of the barrel, but I don’t have any first hand experience with store bought uppers at all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have barrels in the 8-9" range.    If I was going to do it again, I'd think pretty hard about doing 10.5", just for a longer handguard.

Either way, use the 3-prong mount - it's not obnoxious to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got my first 300 sbr upper.
PSA had 7.5" complete uppers on sale at $249 with free shipping.
I couldnt resist.

I have an old XXX can to screw on the end... so I will see how quiet it is once the S&B subsonics arrive later today.

Attachment Attached File

Bushnell TRS25 on the way to replace current red dot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Delete.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
8.3 BA hansen has served me well.  Very accurate and pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
My only .300 at this time, SIG Rattler.  It's currently a pistol, but I've filed the Form 1.  I'm going with the SIG SRD762-QD suppressor.  I'm only one month in, on both the Form 1 so SBR it, and the Form 4, for the can.  I think the 5.5" will be fine for 50M and less.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Not my HD gun but my truck gun.
Nevertheless it’s a 9” BCM upper and pistol lower(for now).
H2 buffer and Super 42 spring runs great with subs and supers. The O9K is a little on the louder side. I’m currently running the Sandman S and that combo runs great as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Really asking here; absolutely not trying to start contention:

What is gained by SBR'ing a nicely set up pistol with a good brace?

A vertical foregrip, yes; but other than that, -what justifies sending an easy to own and transport pistol into the NFA world?

Hoping for some good answers, as I get asked this quite often from students in my firearms classes.

(Asking this as an NRA Instructor with dozens of form 4's, and a form 1 SBR lower, still sitting in the box over a year after approval, because the braces do everything I need).
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A vertical foregrip, yes; but other than that, -what justifies sending an easy to own and transport pistol into the NFA world?

Hoping for some good answers, as I get asked this quite often from students in my firearms classes.

(Asking this as an NRA Instructor with dozens of form 4's, and a form 1 SBR lower, still sitting in the box over a year after approval, because the braces do everything I need).
View Quote
Because I want a rifle stock not a compromise.  And Murica

ETA: The good braces cost what a stamp does anyway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

...and I haven't seen the ATF's opinion of stock usage flip-flop, at least not yet.
View Quote
Thanks for all the valid reasons.

Even if I don't feel much justification for a SBR now, it's that nagging possibility of the use of braces being "re/re/reinterpreted" -again, that keeps me from canceling the SBR form 1.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because I want a rifle stock not a compromise.  And Murica

ETA: The good braces cost what a stamp does anyway.
View Quote
Get both.

Not sure about other states, but in WA you cannot have a loaded rifle in a vehicle. So while I love all my SBRs, I have a 5.56 and 300Blk pistol just for the off-chance I want a loaded firearm in that caliber, while in a vehicle
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get both.

Not sure about other states, but in WA you cannot have a loaded rifle in a vehicle. So while I love all my SBRs, I have a 5.56 and 300Blk pistol just for the off-chance I want a loaded firearm in that caliber, while in a vehicle
View Quote
Valid. And it’s AR15.com... get both is always the correct answer!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are in the SBR forum. Both is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We are in the SBR forum. Both is the correct answer.
View Quote
Sounds like the best answer to me, too.
Agreed this is (and should remain) the SBR forum:
It was only because the last two photos posted above were of braced pistols -that I thought it would be on topic to ask the question here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's really cheap and easy to make it a "get both" situation by just building another pistol lower using your take-off brace after a stamp comes in.

Having a lower with no stock/barrel parts limitations is really nice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
No need for a build, AAC/MPW 9 inch is fine out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Valid. And it’s AR15.com... get both is always the correct answer!
View Quote
I did "get both" but I keep thinking about converting my pistols to SBRs via Form 1.  Unlike my form 4 SBRs, they would at least be in my possession during the long wait times.  I just much prefer an STR to an SBA3.

I've never form 1'd though.  I don't drive out of state much (Texas is huge) but on occasion I do go to nearby New Mexico so I hear where you guys are coming from on the pistols and transport.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The braces are a great way to go enjoy a shorty build as a pistol until the form 1 comes back approved.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I only have SBRs, no pistols, but I am planning to build a few for crossing state lines, being a home for extra short uppers, use while waiting for form ones, and use as a truck gun so I won't be out a stamp if it is stolen.

But I still prefer SBRs. Some platforms really need to be SBRed to be more correct, like krinks with the 100 series stocks and MP5/53 clones. Although some of the MP5 braces look nice.

If the PSA MP5 clones work out I will get one and leave it as a braced pistol as I already have a a K and full size form oned.

As always, get both is the corrected answer.

James
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got my first 300 sbr upper.
PSA had 7.5" complete uppers on sale at $249 with free shipping.
I couldnt resist.

I have an old XXX can to screw on the end... so I will see how quiet it is once the S&B subsonics arrive later today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20180908_100344-665075.JPG

Bushnell TRS25 on the way to replace current red dot.
View Quote
@Dragracer_Art

Those PSA barrels don't have much of a shoulder so I'd be careful everything lines up so you don't have a battle strike
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really hope you're not recommending that to your students
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Dragracer_Art

Those PSA barrels don't have much of a shoulder so I'd be careful everything lines up so you don't have a battle strike
View Quote
All is good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
How quiet is it with subs? I’m thinking about building one and already have the K.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
What handguard are you using on this setup? I’m building a similar setup and have a .30 cal YHM phantom can, 8.5 inch stainless barrel from PSA.

I want a longer than 7 inch handguard but needs to be big enough diameter to clear the YHM muzzle device and can
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What handguard are you using on this setup? I’m building a similar setup and have a .30 cal YHM phantom can, 8.5 inch stainless barrel from PSA.

I want a longer than 7 inch handguard but needs to be big enough diameter to clear the YHM muzzle device and can
View Quote
My suggestion is to lay out you measurements and get as close a fit as you can between the hand guard and muzzle device. With today’s selection of handguard lengths, getting within 1/4” isn’t difficult.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I cant imagine why any company would produce an ~8" 300blk barrel without a sufficient sized/90 degree shoulder for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#38]
After shooting many different barrel lengths, I now know why everyone goes with 9" typically.

The Rattler is way too gassy suppressed and the other less than 9" barrels make a flash and loud bang.

I would do a 9" BCM or SR30 in 9.5" and use a SandmanK.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I really hope you're not recommending that to your students
View Quote
Thanks for calling that very poorly structured sentence. Embarrassed that I didn't notice that.

It should have read, "Other than being able to use a vertical foregrip on a SBR, what are you...etc."
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After shooting many different barrel lengths, I now know why everyone goes with 9" typically..
View Quote
I don't recommend going below 8.5" unless you run subs only.  For that case a Magpul MBUS Pro LR rear peep is useful for shooting beyond 75-100 yards.  For dual use on my 8.5 I zero the 200 setting at 50 with supers. The markings turn out to be overstated by 50 for supers so 350 peep hits close to 300. With subs the 400 setting is close to 100 and the 600 setting is close to 200.  It's the cheapest way I've found to have a sight system for both supers and subs and it's fun to dope the sight settings. My 10.5" has the Primary Arms 3X with the blackout reticle that's calibrated for supers. PA shows both super and subs holdover but those are different zeros and can't be used simultaneously.  Typically for supers zeroed at 200 the 400 holdover is pretty close to 100 with subs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How quiet is it with subs? I’m thinking about building one and already have the K.
View Quote
I was stupid and didn't think the last time I used it. It was indoors and I slapped it on one of our M16 lowers at work and did a mag dump with subsonic ammo. It was a little loud with the echoes off the wall.  Like impact wrench loud.

It's not as good as a larger can. It takes the edge off which was my goal for a work rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top