Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2018 7:31:33 AM EDT
How much need is there for an adjustable gas block on a 10.5" blackout for suppressed shooting? Also, I'm guessing a gas buster or similar charging Handle is worth looking at? Any other mods you folks recommend? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The upper I have currently does not have an adjustable gas block, but nor do I have a suppressor yet.  I'm wondering if I can try as is, or change gas block before suppressor gets here.

I'm very open to suggestions of which gas block also!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
adjustatable bcg?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the bootleg adjustable carrier since I have a regular FSB.  A gas-relieving charging handle could be a good idea if you're expecting excessive gas, but people say they're hit and miss.  I like my Radian SD though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got an adjustable gas block on my 8" .300 gun and it works great for me.  I run the gun 100% suppressed and always subsonic (for now).  I dialed in the gas block starting with very low gas and opened it up one click at a time until it would cycle and lock back then went one click further for good measure.  It's been perfect since then and is very soft shooting.  I don't notice much gas to the face at all and I'm shooting indoors most of the time.  For reference I'm running a SLR Rifleworks gas block and GA Recce 7 can.   If you're building your upper I would consider the AGB.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the bootleg adjustable carrier since I have a regular FSB.  A gas-relieving charging handle could be a good idea if you're expecting excessive gas, but people say they're hit and miss.  I like my Radian SD though.
View Quote
8.5" Aero 300:  JP adjustable gas block, Jp Silent caPtUre, ......... and it finally ran supers and subs.

8.5" PSA:  upgraded the buffer spring to get away from cheese grater noise.  Runs supers and subs like a champ without any other changes.

I wish I could tell you why they do what they do.  Run some through it to see if you even need it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
A properly ported 300BO in that barrel length shouldn't need an adjustable gas block to function in all 4 modes. It is useful if you run mostly supersonic suppressed to tune the lock time and soften extraction.

The Bootleg adjustable bolt carriers work great and are more convenient to use than an adjustable gas block.  Plus if need be you can swap them easily to another upper for diagnostics or to try out adjustable gas.

Adjustable gas blocks are cheaper.  You have to run the adjustment in and out periodically to minimize carbon locking in the adjustment. Most people eventually find a setting and leave it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The upper I have currently does not have an adjustable gas block, but nor do I have a suppressor yet.  I'm wondering if I can try as is, or change gas block before suppressor gets here.

I'm very open to suggestions of which gas block also!
View Quote
I would try as is. Mine does fine. Only change was a Tubbs spring.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A properly ported 300BO in that barrel length shouldn't need an adjustable gas block to function in all 4 modes.
View Quote
This. My Ballistic Advantage 8.3" runs it all without a problem
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A properly ported 300BO in that barrel length shouldn't need an adjustable gas block to function in all 4 modes. It is useful if you run mostly supersonic suppressed to tune the lock time and soften extraction.

The Bootleg adjustable bolt carriers work great and are more convenient to use than an adjustable gas block.  Plus if need be you can swap them easily to another upper for diagnostics or to try out adjustable gas.

Adjustable gas blocks are cheaper.  You have to run the adjustment in and out periodically to minimize carbon locking in the adjustment. Most people eventually find a setting and leave it.
View Quote
This.  I built mine with a BA Hanson 8.3 300 blk barrel and it came with a pre drilled to pin in place block with the barrel.  I've run subs and supers with a Sandman K just fine with no adjustable block or carrier.  It may not be optimum I realize but it runs fine enough for my purposes. It cycles everything I've put through it so far.  I may one day pick up the bootleg or gemtech adjustable carrier or try a JP capture spring assembly etc... to experiment with.  Get the process on the suppressor going and see what happens when you have it in hand finally.  If it runs out of the gate great, if not then start experimenting.  No sense in throwing money at parts right away if you don't need them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

8.5" Aero 300:  JP adjustable gas block, Jp Silent caPtUre, ......... and it finally ran supers and subs.

8.5" PSA:  upgraded the buffer spring to get away from cheese grater noise.  Runs supers and subs like a champ without any other changes.

I wish I could tell you why they do what they do.  Run some through it to see if you even need it.
View Quote
I have a JP spring in my lower that runs both the 10.5" 223 upper I have and the 9" 300BO.  The 223 has the adjustable carrier, I haven't had any problems with the BO upper running anything.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all for the information, it sounds like I just have to wait and test it out, the adjustable bcg looks interesting. Thank you again!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the information, it sounds like I just have to wait and test it out, the adjustable bcg looks interesting. Thank you again!!
View Quote
I haven't needed adjustment on my 10.5" 300 upper suppressed, but I do use the Bootleg carrier on my DD 11.5" 556 with Mini 4 and it has made a world of difference in reducing gas to the face (including FA on registered receivers)
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A properly ported 300BO in that barrel length shouldn't need an adjustable gas block to function in all 4 modes.
I agree. My 300 blk 10.2" runs great with supers, subs, suppressed and un suppressed. No need for adjustable gas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My 9” aac barrel runs ok with the gas block it came with. It runs suppressed and unsuppressed.

It could definitely benefit from an adjustable gas block and I will probably get one eventually. It’s not an urgent upgrade, but it is something I want to do. It’s definitely over gassed.

My opinion on adjustable gas blocks is they have many pro’s and only one con, cost.

I love my adjustable gas block on my 5.56. The only reason my 300 blackout doesn’t have one is that it came with one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go with an adjustable gas block and don't look back. Once adjusted correctly, there's no need for a gas buster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much need is there for an adjustable gas block on a 10.5" blackout for suppressed shooting? Also, I'm guessing a gas buster or similar charging Handle is worth looking at? Any other mods you folks recommend? Thanks for the help!
Go with an adjustable gas block and don't look back. Once adjusted correctly, there's no need for a gas buster.
Completely agree. Being able to tune your gun to run perfectly with your favorite ammo is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top